Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

How to Survive on Whatever Income You...
serial number 3D max 5.0
Social-Security-Disability-Forum » How to Survive on Whatever Income You Have  

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        
serial number 3D max 5.0

serial number 3D max 5.0

serial number 3D max 5.0
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Anonymous

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)serial number 3D max 5.0

Posted on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 11:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I’m a disabled man that just recently started receiving some type of assistants through S.S.I. 6 months ago. it took SSI 2 years to finally pay my disability. Foretunenatly I live with my elderly mother. She is not well, she is soon to go in and have a spinal operation.
My concern is that, what programs are setup to help me in the event that she pass or ends up in a aging home.
My S.S.I. is not enough to live on, pay rent, utilities, and buy groceries, and clothes. I really don’t have a clue at what to do.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1048

Posted on Monday, April 18, 2005 - 8:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous: It is possible, but not certain, that the amount of SSI you are getting might rise to the maximum if you start living by yourself. But, if you prove that you are paying your share of the household expenses.

Presently in the Carolinas, the maximum benefit is under $600.

There are a lot of things you can do to live on that amount, and many of my clients are able to do it somehow. Check for food stamps and subsidized housing, particularly Section 8 housing, which is out in the community, and not in a project. Talk to your local United Way; they generally know how to get assistance.

And, of course, you have to be ruthless about keeping your expenses low.

Henry G. (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 12:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I get SSDI and SSI for mental impairments. The total amount is $832 per month.

I live with my parents, as I could not afford to live elsewhere in my town. My parents charge me $500 per month rent. And $180 per month food. The rest goes to laundry, toiletries, clothing.
Section 8 Housing is out of the question because there is a 8-10 year wait list. Even still, I cannot maintain a residence due to my mental condition. Soon, I will have to see a psychiatrist, but Medicare only pays half, so I will have to pay $150 per month and lower the amount of food that I eat. Plus I will be switching to Medicare for prescription drugs next year, having to pay co-pays.

Henry G. (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 12:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Of course, County Mental Health refuses to see me.
Food stamps are not an option because the SSI payment is too high. I don't know how my condition is supposed to improve under these conditions.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1328

Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 1:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am amazed at how little some of my clients are able to live on. I have few suggestions, other than to call United Way and get the full list of sources of help. I do know that the Section 8 waiting list is not that long in many communities; perhaps a change of communities? Take care.

linann (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 9:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i am in the process of getting married, or shall i say trying? Well i have a mental/physical condition that is stopping me from returning to work. I recieve both ssi and ssdi, my finace works full time but is unable to help me financilly, due to his own personal bills,seeing that we all have seperate accounts on everything.He makes 7.15m hrly and that is not enough to support him and i both seeming that i am not working. Can i still reciceve my benefits for me only or will i lose everything that i had to work for years to get. Linann

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1160

Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 5:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you are receiving Social Security disability on your own record, that should not be affected by marriage.

If you receive Social Security disability based on your parent's record, and you marry someone not drawing benenfits, that check will be ended.

As far as your SSI benefits are concerned, they might be reduced, depending on your husband's income. At some level of his income, Medicaid will be eliminated. That might be offset by the savings involved in living together.

nancy lynn (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 4:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi , Iam a 52 year old widow, reciveing benfits under disability on my own quarter.which is 379.00, reciving surviorer benfits,940 now my questions, we are now may 2006, in feb. 2006 i received a 5000.00 acc. so i called ssdi, nothing was on their computer , march30 or so i paid bill due, may 3 2006, my ck. acct. show my surviroes to be 834.lower then 2004 which my montly surviorer benfit was 940 . which 2006 rate, now they say they made aother mistake, i got a letter may 5, they say i need to give them 7800.00 they made a big mistak since 2004, and i owe them all this money which i live pay check , at a time. i have more montly bills, i donthave that money, it there mistake, in 2 half years they have played with my mental emotional well being, and iam a disable america, what is wrong with this system they press a button on compturer and turn incent person lives aroung every month, and no one stand up to them i want to see a lawyer to sude them i dont have this money

serial number 3D max 5.0
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out  
serial number 3D max 5.0
This site is maintained by Paul McChesney, an attorney who has been practicing disability law for around 25 years in North and South Carolina.

If the subject of disability is important to you, or if you want to find out more about us, you should explore the rest of this site. To do so, go to our homepage, Carolina-disability.com.

Please don't take anything on this site as legal advice! Nor should you take any action, or fail to take any action, based on any communication provided through this site. Before doing that, it would be wise to sit down and talk to an attorney in his or her office. Please also see our disclaimer at this link: Disclaimer. We want to be as helpful as we can be on a website; please thank us by doing this.