Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Mental Problems: Depression, Anxiety
cd key plugins para rpc
Social-Security-Disability-Forum » Mental Problems: Depression, Anxiety  

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Court dayPaul McChesney 3-19-06  9:36 pm
  Start New Thread        
cd key plugins para rpc

cd key plugins para rpc
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ryan

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)cd key plugins para rpc

Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 11:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am 22 Years old. I was just released from the hospital 2 weeks ago for medical major depression. While I was in there my doctor said that he could get me benefits for the last two years. I was hospitalized twice in 1994 for two suicide attempts. I have never worked I am going to get my GED this fall (try to). I live with my dad and brother. nether of them have a job (dad has a 2 week, temp. job).
I had a meeting with voc. rehab. a week ago, and they said (my counselor) told me that because i was there i could not receive any benefits because i was *willing* to work.
01) I was wondering Can I get *ANY* type of disability payment *at all*?
02) Where they lying (doctor and voc. rehab.) or telling the truth?
also) 03) could i receive benefits if i only go and *TRY* to get my GED?

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 6:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You might be able to get SSI if you have little income or resources.

The fact that you are working on your GED is no absolute bar to getting SSI benefits.

Work if you can. If you cannot, file. If you are not sure, try to do both.

joan arena

Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2001 - 8:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I AM A 53 YEAR OLD FEMALE WITH A MENTAL DISRDER CALLED AGORAPHOBIA. I RECEIVE SOCIAL SECURITY WIDOWS DISABILITY BENEFITS SINCE 1998. I HAVE MY DECEASED HUSBANDS BILL COLLECTORS CALLING AND INSISTING THAT I GO TO MY CHARGE CARDS AND TAKE OUT A CASH ADVANCE TO PAY THEESE DEBTS. I ONLY GET 861. DOLLARS A MONTH. THAT TO ME WOULD BE FRAUD BECAUSE IF I COULD PAY I WOULD OF. AFTER MY HOUSEHOLD EXPENCES I CANNOT. THE COMPANY SAID BECAUSE I AM THE COOWNER OF THE CARD AND THE MAIN OWNER OF OTHER CARDS THAT I HAVE TO TAKE OUT A CASH ADVANCE. I HAVE EXCELLENT CREDIT UP TO NOW. THEY HAVE THREATENED TO PUT A HOLD ON MY BANK ACCOUNT THAT IS ONLY SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFIT MONEY IN IT. CAN THAT BE DONE? I HAVE UNTIL I CAN FIND OUT CHANGED MY CHECK TO COME TO MY HOME AND NOT DIRECT DEPOSIT. THE SECOND QUESTION IS CAN A DEBTOR TAKE THAT ALSO. THAT WOULD PUT ME ON THE WELFARE ROLL. THANK YOU JOAN

Reply by PaulThis is a state law, or perhaps bankruptcy question. Contact a bankruptcy lawyer.

Clara Albert

Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2001 - 2:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am 60 years old, masters degree in public administration, worked last 20 years in management (local government, not for profit.) Four years ago depression caused me to lose my job and I was out of work for two years. My psychiatrist told me to apply for disability, but I was too stubborn. I used all my savings, had to sell my house to pay the bills, and finally had to declare bankruptcy. I then got a job which I have held for the last two years. I am about to lose it again, because I am not fulfilling the mission given me by the Board. Depression strikes again. My attorney (not a social security expert)and a social worker friend who deals with the disabled both have told me recently to apply for disability. My diagnosis is clinical depression and post traumatic stress disorder. I take remeron, seroquel, adderall, and paxil. I also carry clonazapan (sp?) for occasional panic attacks. My jobs have always involved a considerable amount of public speaking. Now I cannot do that without trembling. I have no energy. None.

About my physical pain.
In the morning, I wake up with so much pain, that is is hard to move at all for three hours. I am stiff with extreme joint pain. Probably arthritis. I also have extreme pain in my legs. MD's are not sure of the cause. I have had two doppler scans to see if it was a circulation problem and two epidural treatments to no relief. It is not a circulation problem, according to a test. If I have to walk more than one-half block, it is excruciating. I cannot walk steps. One doctor thought it "might" be a pinched nerve. My life style is zero. I also started coughing up blood last year. Doctors told me to stop smoking. I had not smoked in almost 30 years, but have always been around a lot of second hand smoke. My lungs are somehow damaged and this also limits my movement or exercise. Because of my depression, my painful legs, and shortness of breath, I have become really morbidly obese. Because of my obesity, I have sleep apnea and must rely on a bi-pap(sp) machine to sleep. I think I have carpal tunnel syndrome,because my right hand has become really numb and I drop things a lot. I take the maximum dose of ibuprofen and the maximum dose of ultra for the pain. Mostly, to no avail. I also take synthroid, aspirin, warfarin, and doxasin.
If I took the advice of those around me, would I have a chance to receive SSD? Thank you for taking time to read this long-winded note.

Reply by Paul You certainly should consider applying. I would hesitate to give up a job and apply, if you are able to hang on. But if you are out for any reason, apply immediately. You might then continue to struggle to work while you are waiting, but if you consider that, be sure to discuss it with an attorney, and be sure to disclose the fact that you are trying to work. Take care and good luck.

anonymous

Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2001 - 3:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am going to marry a man who has manic depression..He is not able to work because of his condition, He has been receiving his SSI for five years..He lives with his mother and has been hospitalized numerous times. My income is only 18,000 a year before taxes. I was wondering if his check will stay the same or go up. We will be living in an apartment and being paying more money in bills then what he pays now. My pay check is only 518 biweekly, and I couldn't not pay all of the bills on just that. And is there a process we have to go through when we get married to let SSI know about it?

Reply by Paul I want to be as helpful as I can, and in this case I can be most helpful by telling you that this is such an important question and a difficult one that it is too dangerous for me to try to answer on a website, so far away. But your marriage could reduce his check drastically. As your income goes higher, it could eliminate it. The exact effect might vary by state. Try sitting down to talk with local legal aid, or with the Administration.

Take care.

nancy walters

Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2002 - 10:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'M a younger person 25 years of age.I have a disorder that I have no control over.I have been to a doctor that told me it was a chemical inbalance.It does effect my working ,i feel like everyone talks about me,then I run to a confined room and cry.I don't like going out of my house because I feel like people are talking and staring at me.

Would I be eligible for Social Security Disability?

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Friday, January 11, 2002 - 4:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nancy, you might. Of course, particularly at your young age, you should probably struggle to get your problem taken care of and work if you can. You might look in to jobs in which you have minimal exposure to coworkers or the public, but of course supervisors are difficult to avoid. If you find you still cannot work, be sure your doctor is behind you, and maybe sit down and talk to an attorney who mostly handles disability claims.

If you are having health problems, it is important that you work enough to stay qualified for Social Security Disability. You can find out how much you must earn each year by calling 1 800 772 1213 about February. The amount for 2002 is $3480 for 4 full quarters; each $870 you make will help.

If your income is low enough, you might qualify for SSI without having worked.

anonymous

Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2001 - 2:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have had a learning disablity which was dignosed back in fall of 93.And I am 27 leave in Texas with my parents.before finishing high school i worked about four hrs. a week than had problems getting there on time lost two hrs.while i was working there for 7 yrs.until i felt i had better chance of working with preschoolers,graduated 99 certificate of CDA.Got hired for this type of work lasted a month felt mis treated the boss how in the world did you get your CDA and no emprovement ina week she would terminate me so I left her a note since she had to leave A resign to consentrate on school.Cause of this I became upset,unhappy,etc.on Feb.2000 I HAD no idea I had follen into depression until my parents took me in emercercy room in October 2000 dignased as severe depression partial hosptal cause tried to suicide with vitamin A a hand full.Oh forgot to mention i took another day care job in late Aug, or early sept. that same year of 2000,worked about seven different days two days no something like that she called my to let my know i was terminated wich I was going to quite cause of lack of concentration and ended making mastakes since she got on my case of not have this baby on the right time to eat got nervous ended up leaving his food out need to be put in refrig.supposably ended up causing rash to a baby that was not clean well that is her reason for firing me.I suffer from severe sinus problems with infections coming back several times a year,and severe allergry and coughs i feel weak,no concentration on more than one thing,work slow,oversleep,loss of appetite and weight blood was test okay,fatigue,tension all day makes in heard to get out of bed. I am taking wellbrutin 300mg,remeron 45mg,and now for a few weeks he add clonezepam for the tension in my legs,sometimes i get dizz spells with a slight pook on my side of head need to close eyes taught was cause of eating but it even has happened when i just eat.Depressed i feel anxious at times.I want to know if its possible for me to have a claim for SSI.I forgot I have a limit of standing and walking of six hours due to bilateral in both feet snd weak ligaments.Tried vocational trsining at TRC not much of a help.

Reply by Paul It is certainly possible to get an award for severe depression, provided that you have worked enough to qualify for Social Security Disability, or provided that you are broke enough to qualify for SSI.

You must see a doctor regularly, preferably at Mental Health or a private psychiatrist, and be sure he is prepaired to back you up. And you know I always recommend getting an attorney. Let me know your city if you want me to see if I can suggest one; Texas is a pretty big state.

Unless it is dangerous for you medically, you should continue to struggle to work and to get education to make yourself more employable. Take care and good luck.

An appreciative reader

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)cd key plugins para rpc

Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2002 - 12:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just a note to say THANK YOU from all of us out here who are scared and uniformed as to how our goverment agencies work..all we know is pay, pay, pay but never how you can receive some of that back when you desperately need help. Your questions and answers have been most informative. Please keep up the great work!!!!

Sandra Cardwell

Posted on Tuesday, April 09, 2002 - 11:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would like to know if anyone is out on social security disability for anxiety disorder. Didn't know if it would be approved to get disability for anxiety.

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Saturday, April 13, 2002 - 5:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can win on this basis. Be sure to be seeing a psychologist regularly and sit down and talk to an attorney. Take care.

karen sutton

Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 4:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i am 36 totally blind in my right eye since i was 5 was ana ccident i had then that caused my blind eye, i have had bad migraines for years and i cant stand to be around people i dont like being told what to do, everything seems to stress me out, like i have no patience helping my kids with homework so i dont help them, i have no patience to talk on a phone, i have to sleep in the light every since i was young darkness scares me because i see my grandmother and grandfather and they seem to like to sit on my end of my bed and stare at me, i know i see them in the dark my husband wont let me drive because i almost get hit each time and he;s scared ill kill me and my kids driving im signed up for disability but am i eligible?

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 6:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Karen, you well might be disabled from your psychological condition. You must be able to deal with people at the minimal level required for supervision in order to work. One other concern is whether you have worked enough to qualify for Social Security disability, or whether your family income is low enough for SSI. You should check with a local attorney or the Administration.

anonymous

Rating: 

Posted on Sunday, July 07, 2002 - 7:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am a 36 year old female and a mother of three teenage children. I have have a total hysterectomy and I also have a chemical imbalance along with being diagnosed with sever depression and anxiety disorder. I have applied for social security and I am in the later process of waiting for a decision. All medical and Psychological information has been received by the determination office. my question is. Do I have a fairly good chance in receiving disibility having over 20 years of work history along with my medical evidence.

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 8:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Even though you have told me a lot, you have not told me anything that will help me tell if you will win your case or not. The crucial data that is missing is the exact limitation of function caused by your problems; whether you have done everything to help cure your problems; whether you have doctors' reports and other evidence to support your exact limitations; and whether there is anything else in your record that seems to contradict this evidence.

Take care and good luck. Get an attorney to work all of this out with you.

barbara passarge

Posted on Saturday, August 03, 2002 - 5:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a chemical inbalance that was diagnosed in my 20's. I am now almost 40. Lately I have missed alot of work because the inbalance affects my muscles and my emotions are out of control. I am afraid that I will eventually lose my job. Can I qualify for disability?

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Friday, August 23, 2002 - 5:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Possibly. Of course don't give up on work casually. I would sit down and talk to an attorney now, before I lose my job. If you are sure that you are going out of work, consider filing while you are out briefly, and returning, though that can make a mess, and you must report, of course. Be sure that your doctor is behind you. At 40, I would hire a lawyer before I filed.

Diane Inman

Posted on Monday, September 16, 2002 - 1:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My sister is bi-polar. Earlier this year she was hospitalized and received electro-shock therapy. She is on heavy medication. She has not worked for at least 15 years. She is devorced and receives child support of 600 a month. She and her husband have joint custody of their two children ages 14 and 11. She owns her own condo with mortgage. She has held two jobs in the last couple of months. The first in a grocery story bakery, she was fired because they felt she was too slow and they were afraid of her hurting herself on the equipment. The present job of which she is about to be fired is in a bookstore. She just doesn't function clearly or quickly enough. She is about to loose her home because of debt. If she takes out bankruptcy she will loose her home. Rent is more money than her mortgage. These last facts may be superfluous. I would just like to know if she would be eligable for SSI benefits?

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Friday, October 04, 2002 - 6:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am not sure about whether she will get SSI; there are income limits and also resource limits. She should sit down with a lawyer immediately. Take care.

Claire Collins

Posted on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 9:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am a 47 year old woman who has worked for all my life until I was diagnosed with PTSD and major depression this year. I have had 3 suicide attempts in the last 6 months. I have tried to work twice since I was diagnosed with these problems, but had to quit due to the stress. My husband is on social security and gets only $700 a month in benefits. Should I apply for social security disability?

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 6:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Claire, you should work if you can, and file if you cannot. If you are not sure, try both. I think that the fact that you are trying and failing might help your case. Be sure your doctor will back you up. Take care and good luck.

d.t (Bluestar)

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 11:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am 33yrs old and have been diagnosed by 3 different psychiatrist in three different states and have had also 3 different psychologist that I have seen every two weeks for the past 4 years. My disorders have all been diagnosed the same. I have earned enough credits to qualify for benefits. Do you think my chances would be good in getting disability benefits without an attorney?

kyleM

Rating: 

Posted on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 10:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can't hold down a job anymore due to severe depression and, now, fear of going outside almost to the point of agoraphobia. I'm 47 and worked most of my life. The last few jobs kept getting shorter and shorter because as I have gotten older I can't handle the stress anymore. I am male, almost broke (only about 400 dollars left), single and live with my mom and brother. Also, my eyesight is getting worse, going to need minor dental work at some point and have a sore on my foot that I can't fix. I've tried. I have to walk with a limp because of the pain.
I know I cannot hold down a job anymore. I lose every one I try because of depression. I used to be able to struggle through it but as the years go by it just gets worse and I can't fight anymore.
I am not suicidal but I am too depressed to even bathe or keep myself up. I'm a mess and all I see is hopelessness.
My last SSA statement said I could draw about 1,000 if I were disabled. I have no money for a doctor or lawyer.
I don't know where to go for help or if I could qualify for SS disability. Am I possibly eligible?
Thanks for any help.

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 5:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes you are. One thing I always look at for folks with mental impairments is the work pattern; a lot of short duration jobs indicates that something is wrong. I would sit down and talk to an attorney; or get your mom to if you can't face doing that. You should also get help for your depression, through counselling or church or mental health; the last two often provide help for no charge. Keep struggling and don't despair.

kylem

Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 7:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Paul. That does give me some hope. Thank you so much. It's the first positive word I've heard in a long time.

Brad Fortner

Posted on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 2:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have applied for disability. One doctor diagnosed me schizo-affective depressed type,and another diagnosed me with major depressive disorder, with pshycotic effect. What does this mean and do I have a good chance of getting some kind of financial help???

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 3:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Brad, with a few exceptions, it is almost never enough to name your diagnosis and ask if you have a good chance of winning a disability claim. There are usually a lot of people with your diagnosis that are working, and a lot that are not. The crucial question is how your health problem affects your ability to function at work.

I am not certain of the exact meaning of your diagnoses. That is a medical question, and I would not be comfortable making a guess about what they mean.

HEATHER MILLER

Rating: 

Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 5:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I HAVE HAD MAJOR DEPRESSION SINCE THE AGE OF 14 YEARS, I AM 27 YEARS OLD AND LIVE IN TEXAS. I HAVE BEEN HOSPITALIZED TWICE. I HAVE SEEN A DOZEN DIFFERENT THERAPISTS. I HAVE BEEN RECENTLY DIAGNOSED AS BI-POLAR, OCD, ADHD,. I TAKE TEGRETOL, PAXIL, ADDERALL. I HAVE BEEN UNEMPLOYED FOR ALMOST A YEAR DUE TO THE FACT OF MY ILLNESS ALONG WITH A HUGE ANXIETY, AND ISOLATION PROBLEM. I HAVE RECEIVED INFO FROM SSI STATING THAT WOULD RECIVE SO MUCH A MONTH IF I AM DISABLED. WOULD MY ILLNESS BE CONSIDERED A DISABILITY TO THE GOVERNMENT, OR JUST A DISABILITY TO ME. THANK YOU.

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 3:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You certainly have a chance of getting disability benefits. Psychological problems can be a basis of a disability claim. Being hospitalized a number of times, taking multiple medications, and dramatic isolation are all signs that your psychological condition is pretty serious.

I suggest that you file a claim, hire an attorney, and pursue it. Take care and good luck.

Just me

Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 9:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was in a car accident (in 1998 I think) and suffered a head injury that is diffuse and mostly affects working memory. I have trouble visually with driving I don't always see things correctly for example stop signs disappear lines on the road move. My speech is stammering, I put things on the stove and forget them things like that. I talked to a lawyer and he wasn't interested in representing me. My problem is that I was finally diagnosed after my disabilty benifits expired. The injury occurred during the time I was covered. I also have conflicting reports from two different specialists. One is an insurance doctor. I am so scared and overwhelmed with all this and wonder what I should be doing to help my case. My family can't believe I am going to lose this case because they see me struggling. I still have my intelligence but numbers are a nightmare and I lose whole conversations. Can you help me?

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 8:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You need to talk to a lot of lawyers, I guess. Perhaps one will take your case. It is sometimes easy, and sometimes difficult, to prove a case where, as here, you have to show disability in the past.

Some lawyers, particularly those that advertise heavily, only take cases that are easy to win. I would talk to maybe 10 attorneys who emphasize this sort of law. If none will take your case, that suggests that it would be difficult to win.

Another idea is to try to re-establish disability by earning money, perhaps at some sort of unconventional job like Amway sales. This is impossible for some, and very hard, but not impossible, for others. To do this, order your earnings record by calling 1 800 772 1213 and once you get it show it to the lawyers you are going to talk to. Anyone who cannot tell you exactly how much you need to earn to requalify is only pretending to be a Social Security lawyer.

Wendy B

Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2003 - 3:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a severe depression and PTS. I have been in the process of filing for disability and was denied SSI because of my husbands income. My husband recently seperated from me and I no longer have that income. Should I reapply? How will his leaving have an affect on my claim? We have 2 children together and they both live with me.

Ann Miller

Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 7:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am 51 yrs.old,lost my husband 6 yrs ago and I have a lot of medical problems,including disgenerative disk disease, chronic migrains, diabetes,hypertension, possible previous mini stroke caused by blood clot,fibromyalgia and frequent kideney infections. I work only because I have no one who can help me financially. I actually would make more money monthly drawing my late husband's disability (widow's disability) that what I earn now. I can't afford to quit work when applying for disability, but I have doctors who will testify that I really would be better not pushing myself working. Can I apply for Soc Sec. dis. benefits whil I still work and then if approved then quit working. Seems a shame that some of us are in this position and by working we are only further deteriorating ur health. Thanks for your help.

B. Abbey

Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 6:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am 48 yeares old and on disibility. If I get married will I lose my medical benefits from Medicaid? I have alot of medical problems and can.t pay full price for my medications as they cost over 1000.00 dollars a month.

ellenmcneill

Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 10:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi. My name is Ellen and I am going to apply for ssdi benefits. I'm 52. I graduated college with a B.A. in English Literature. My background is word processing in the legal industry for more than 20 years. I've also done administrative work as an office manager and had my own business as a motivational speaker for about 5-7 years.

Did not even know about SSDI until my brother recently mentioned it to me. I have bi-polar disorder (diagnosed in 1997), social anxiety and interstitial cystitis. I'm interested in knowing if anybody has similar issues, whether they applied for ss benefits and what their experience was. I go from one extreme to another and change moods from moment to moment, not even day to day anymore. Just came out of a deep depression where I was bedridden. Currently experiencing energy bursts coupled with depression and racing thoughts. I'm not thrilled to have to apply for ss benefits, but my inability to work has resulted in this. Thanks for replying.

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 9:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ellen, unless their condition meets one of the Social Security Administration's listings of impairment, most people who have both an education and work experience that involves high level clerical or managerial skills must either show that they can no longer perform that type of activity on a predictable basis, or show that they can no longer get to work on a predictable basis.

If you can show that you have rapid cycle bipolar disorder which is uncontrolled on medication, you certainly might be able to establish disability.

Of course your remaining problems are to be sure that all of the evidence points in one way, for which you should get an attorney, and to survive until any favorable decision, which can be a difficult or easy, depending on your situation.

Interstitial cystitis can be disabling if the pain it causes disrupts attention to work for substantial, uncontrollable portions of the work day.

You should both avoid and embrace disability. Avoid it if possible by trying your best to work, at almost all times, if that does not hurt you financially. Embrace it by filing, and pursuing a claim, in case your work attempts fail.

Take care.

Elena Kimes

Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 12:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Please give me some advice in first time applying for disibility. I am very unsure of myself....I have had post portum depression 25 years ago,have benn depressed and on medicatios since. I have social anxiety panic attacks and phobias..Also since 1998 have been diagnosed as an alcoholic. Have other physical issues. I am 54,my husband is 62 and still works. Can I get help from social security disability. Quite afraid and wonder if mental diagnosis qualifies???? Thank you

el kimes

Posted on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 12:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes second request Thank you

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 10:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Elena, a mental impairment can be the basis for a disability claim. But you need to go to a doctor regularly, preferably a psychiatrist or someone at Mental Health. He or she needs to be willing to step forward and say you are disabled, and you need to hire an attorney, I think.

Use of street drugs or abuse of alcohol or prescription drugs has the following effects on a disability claim: a)If any of these are the cause of your disability, the law says you should lose. b) If they are not the cause, but the judge thinks they are, you will also lose. c) Even if a) or b) do not apply, the judge will be looking for a reason to deny your claim. d) once these things appear in your record, a mere announcement by you that you are no longer using or abusing will often not be credited, even if that announcement is true. I suggest that my clients go weekly, without ever missing a week, to a place where alcohol or drug abuse will not be tolerated - Alcoholics Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous, drug counselling, church, synagogue, mosque. It is perfectly possible for you to lose your claim because the judge thinks alcohol is involved, even though it is not. Thats one more way that that crap that looks so cool on the Miller commercial screws up your life.

There is a seperate question of whether your husband's income is low enough to qualify you for SSI, or if you have worked enough for Social Security disability. You do not provide enough information for me to address that portion of your claim.

Gloria Santos

Posted on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 4:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have rsd, and was let go while on disability. Am I still able to collect?

Becky

Posted on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 12:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am 37 years old when I was 18 I hurt my back I have kifetime medical which I would have to fight the ins. co. each time so I do not use it. The jury found me to be totally incapacitated. I have been working as a nurse since 1986, now I can no longer do the day to day work I have three young children, 13, 10, and 9 years of age. I have pain in basically all of my joints. I take pain pills and muscal relaxers, on a daily basis. I am wondering if I would Qualify for disability SS?

Carolyn Beckner

Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 10:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Please tell me what you think. i am 52 10 grade eduction. I am severly depressed with anxiety and panic attacks.My left leg is numb and hot from kneew to hip.My memory is so poor it is causing me problems. I cant drive any more cause i react in a bad way when I meet a care or one is about to pull out. I can't go out much now I get panicky.I have migraines, and dr said my back pain was reason for my numb leg.please tell me what ypu think if I could get ss disability

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 1:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carolyn: To answer your question directly first: Certainly, yes, you could get disability. If you can show that a medical condition prohibits you from going in to work at all, that is certainly disabling. But I cannot answer another important question, will you certainly win. For that, you need to have one doctor at least, preferably a specialist, and to be safe a lawyer, and some luck. I can answer the most important question, should you try to get disability: If a return to work is a possibility, you should do that. If you are not certain of success, you should file a disability claim. Take care.

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 7:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wendy, to answer your questions:

Should I reapply? Yes.

How will his leaving have an affect on my claim? His full income will no longer count, and there is a good chance that you will now qualify for SSI.

JordanMH

Posted on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 3:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Im a 20 year old male I have ptsd/depression/anxiety/panic attacks...ssa said I can get ssi/ssdi if they consider me disabled..Im in the first application process...It is very severe the ptsd,Im paranoid,shake and have all the classic symptoms and a phd psychologist gave me the diagnosis..I am scared now because I read what you said about alcoholism...I use to drink to numb the ptsd(self medicate) I am 2 1/2 year sober thanks to a.a. I am regretting putting the fact that I use to be an alocholic into my claim...will this result in a denial? also what are my chances first,second try?

jordan83

Posted on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 6:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the p.t.s.d. stands for post traumatic stress disoder I have it severe now at age 20 almost 21 from being abused sexually/physically as a child...and also being in several bad relationships myself have made it worse..Im 2.5 yrs sober from alcohol and still have flashbacks daily,ect from my past.I live in the state of Florida and my case is at the disability determination in tallahasse.

jordan83

Posted on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 6:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i worked enough quarters s.s.a. said for ssdi as well as qualify for ssi because I have zero income at the moment and meet there requirements for both..I looked and my severe p.t.s.d(post traumatic disorder)with depression seems to be on their listings under mental disorders 12.06 on ssa.gov website more less under the anxiety disorders listing...I seem to meet all the requirements under a,b,c and d. I have a high school diploma and am a 20/male what are my chances do you think?How has ptsd fared as a basis for disability? Mine is pretty bad I barely leave home usually just for grocery shop...have hypervigilence,shakiness,get dizzy easy,cant concentrate,take paxil,zoloft and others for prescripts have a long mental health history with care at mental health places all overlet me know
thanks and god bless

Jordan83

Posted on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 7:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

oh and I have panic attacks real regular and heart palpitations/fluttering from the p.t.s.d. as well as hypoglycemia and high blood pressure,I have not seen a doctor in several months Im sure this hurts my case..though I have a long history of seeking treatment for this at least the last 3 years...Im 20 now. The only work history I have is several fast food jobs,and retail stores cashiering...I also sold used/new cars briefly after being diagnosed with ptsd...I applied for ssi and was denied in washington state the first time and did not appeal..Im wondering if working after being diagnosed was a bad idea?also my work history has lots of short jobs where I quit or was fired because of the ptsd...I have 2 months out of the last 2 years which I had s.g.a.(substanial gainful employment) when I sold cars and had quite large checks over 500/month does this hurt my disability claim? even that job only lasted 3 mnths most of my jobs avgd less than 2 months...only 2 jobs in my life were about a year and that was before my diagnosis both low paying jobs fast food and retail..how does it sound all weighed together let me know
thanks

Jordan83

Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 9:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sorry for the long winded messages just wanted to provide enough info to get my questions fully answer,I live in the state of Florida and in Micco which is central florida, I see it takes awhile for a response feel free to email me
thanks

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 7:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To address each of your questions:

Q. I am regretting putting the fact that I use to be an alocholic into my claim...will this result in a denial?

A. It would perhaps be worse to deny alcoholism if the record would contradict your claim. A record of alcoholism will not necessarily defeat your claim, but you must be sure to decisively prove that you are not drinking now. That is harder than you would guess. You can't just say you quit; that's what most alcoholics say. I can guarantee that if you go to AA's or NA's or certain churches once a week between now and the hearing, and get your pastor or AA sponsor to say you were cold sober every visit, it will not be a problem.

Q. also what are my chances first,second try?

A. Nationally for all people chances are about 1 in 3 the first time and 1 in 10 the second time. Yours might be lower because you are so young, or higher if the medical records perfectly reflect the severity of your disease.

Q. what are my chances do you think?

A. Depends on the state of the written medical record.

Q. How has ptsd fared as a basis for disability?

A. You can win on that diagnosis. Good work finding the listings. The "B" criteria are the crucial part of the listing. It deals with how severe the problem is. The issue is only rarely diagnosis, which is what the "A" part deals with.

Q. Im wondering if working after being diagnosed was a bad idea?

A. It is rare that I suggest people not work. I would hate to see someone who is 20 give up on that effort. Working makes a disability claim much more complicated, but a work effort and a disability claim are not completely incompatible. Please see that subject in the forum.

Take care and good luck. I would certainly hire an attorney.

kristina
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 3:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am 19 years old i am just recently out of the hospital again i have not work in 6 month i have ppd manic depression and borderline personality disorder i have extreme paranoia and can not stay in group like situations. do you think i could qualify for ssi?

ironman
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 4:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

my problem is now that i am about done with my nine month probationary period,my body has gone to hell,i have continued working through extreme amounts of pain,because i do not want to return to being unemployed,because working is the only thing that keeps me feeling like a human being,i have been diagnost with bi-polar disorder with pycotic features and mixed states,and post tramatic stress disorder ,i have been through the mental hospitals,and the residental treatment centers and just moved out completely on my own,just being looked at as mentally ill is one of the worst things about being mentally ill,and i try to tell myself im not but everyday someone reminds you that you are.my question is my docter says i need to have surgery on my foot immediatly,and that i would not be able to work for 8 weeks,would i need to apply for short term disability through my employer or would i be able to get an extension on my social security,i am paying a lawyer $125 an hour to set child support and and i would probably get under 800 a month for short term disability and my child support is about $500,but my child gets payment directly through ssdi,the stress of thinking i wont be able to provide for my child is making all my mental illnesses come back and they are noticing at work,what should i do?

lillmisskat
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 10:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i'm a single mother of 4 who has been diagnosed with bipolar and ocd ,i also have a son who has been diagnosed with adhd and bipolar disorder we both take medications and i receive counceling do i or do we both quailify for ssi benefits

Mary Campbell

Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 12:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My name is Mary Campbell. I am 47 years old. I have a mental disorder which is heredity. I can not go out in public and can not mngle with people. I was a Accounts Payable Clerk for 23 years. I started forgetting where I was and how to do my work. I went to the doctor and he took me out of work and tried medications. While I was out of work with a Doctor's excuse, I got a certified letter firing me from my job.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 718

Posted on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 5:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mary, I am sorry that you are having these troubles. I don't know if the firing was proper; you will have to ask someone else about this.

I will talk a little about mental impairment and disability:

Mental impairments can restrict the range of work you can do in several ways. If you cannot deal with the public, that usually restricts the range of available jobs severely, but does not preclude all work. If you have difficulties with co-workers, that begins to restrict work pretty severely; if with supervisors, that eliminates pretty much all work.

Forgetfulness of work procedures, if moderate, eliminates skilled work such as accounting. It is rare that one cannot remember how to do simple work, like packing and sorting, but if it goes to that extent it can eliminate all work.

Forgetfulness of where you were suggests pretty severe impairment. If you cannot find your way to work and back, you cannot work.

Even if a mental impairment is not disabling of itself, it can contribute to disability. For example, assume someone could not perform anything more than sedentary work because of a physical problem, and assume that he was over 50, and had performed light, skilled work, as say a line supervisor. If he hadn't performed the cashier work, the Administration is supposed to find him disabled, because most folks over 50 would have trouble adjusting to sedentary work. But since he has skill as a supervisor, he would have skills transferrable to sedentary work, and his claim would be denied.

On the other hand, if he has difficulties remembering work procedures, he would not have such skills, and would be disabled. The physical problems eliminate all but sedentary work, and the mental problems, though not disabling in and of themselves, eliminate the few jobs left to him.

It is important that you get an attorney. If you are having problems remembering basic duties, you might not be able to remember to appeal at the right time, and do similar things necessary to keep your claim going.

Patty Ramsey
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 5:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My brother has been diagnosed as bipolar 2 years ago. This explains to us,his family, of why he cannot keep a job, get along with others, mood swings, crazy spending, wild relationships, etc. He has tried sucide twice in the past 2 years, one recently. When he started meds 2 years ago, he did better. But we all know that a bipolar has problems with med taking. Therefore, we go back into the same old cycle - no job, suicide, etc. My mom is paying for all his meds and is wore out from trying to keep him going...as well as the rest of the family. We recently applied for disability. Does he have a chance?

LISA WELLS
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 11:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

PLEASE ANSWER.. i WANT TO APPLY FOR DISABILITY AND I HAVE A VERY IMPORTANY QUESTION. MY DIAGNOSE IS PTSD, OCD, ANIEXTY AGORPHOBIA, ALL THAT GOOD STUFF.. WELL I HAVE A SONY .. CAN THEY TAKE AWAY YOU CHILDERN FOR THESE REASONS ..HAVE YPU EVER HEARD OF CHILDERN GETTING TAKEN AWAY FROM THEIR PARENT DUE TO A MENTAL DISABILITY

HEEEELLLLPPPP
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 5:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am 35 years old with 3 herniated disks and degenerative arthritis in my lower back which gives me almost constant pain. Added to this, I am a fairly rapid cycling bi-polar. The longest I have ever been able to hold a job has been 1 year and 11 months and that was about 11 years ago. The older I get, the worse that problem gets. I have quit some high paying supervisory positions because of my mood swings interfering and have had several relationship problems/breakups because of the same.
For the past two years or so I have had to work for family only ( as they are the only ones who can deal with my "problems" ) and even this is in broken stages....a few months here and there. I am constantly getting disconnect notices in the mail and most of the time my rent gets paid late.
I have been told that I should apply for disability but have also heard that it's practically impossible to get on. Should I try it or is what I am going through just how I am going to have to live?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 785

Posted on Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 7:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you cannot work, you should file. If you can get a job but cannot hold it, or if there is a high probibility that you are soon going to get to the point at which you can work no longer, you should file. If there is no other apparent solution to your problem, you must try this one, whatever the odds.

I would guess that with a good doc and lawyer you would have a good chance, in the long run. Your work pattern tends to convince me that you are disabled; you are trying hard and failing.

You are right that it might take a long time, though.

gemneddie
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, September 06, 2004 - 11:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was misdiagnosed in my early 20's (I'm 32 now) with depression at which time i was referred to mental health b/c i drove myself to an er contemplating suicide. I, of course, didn't want the social stereotype of being a 'nut case' and was embarassed. Since i was 16 I have had problems in the workplace with the public, coworkers and supervisors. I graduated practical nursing school in 1993 and haven't been able to hold down a job for more than a year; since 1993 I've had 8 jobs all of which have ended in me being fired or me walking off b/c i lost my composure and began crying uncontrollably. I was on probation with Nursing Boards from 1999 to 2000 for calling in my own prescriptions. I self medicated my 'depression/bipolar' with opiates. I got clean in 1998 and have remained so. I am very active in NA and have been so since 1998; I still attend NA meetings at least twice weekly, have a sponsor and am working the steps again for the 2nd time around; I had IOP, etc. In 2000 my bipolar came to a head that Aug while I was on the job employed as an lpn and i walked off of my job. I was scheduled to perform treatments that day, I was not the floor nurse. My bipolar was completely out of control and I was suicidal. State Boards found me negligent and incompetent to continue nursing,so I voluntarily surrendered my license. I have received information from DHHS that I can not be employed anywhere that files for reimbursement from Medicare, Medicaid, or any other federal healthcare reimbursement. My medical background is of no use to me as far as employment and when i do apply for a job no one wants to hire me b/c of my 'mental impairment'; they find me 'high risk'. I have seen counselors, psychiatrists, family practitioners. Now I have gotten to the point that I'm rapid cycling with my Bipolar. For 2-3 hours I'm functional, for the next 2 hours or so I lay in my bed in the fetal position crying, or sit in the dark looking into the Heavens, crying, grieving over family members or lost pets who have been deceased for many years. I, personally, agree with boards; I'm not competent enough to hold down a job. I have been on: Paxil, Effexor, Wellbutrin, Prozac, Depakote, Lamictal, Trazodone, Limbitrol, Elavil, Amitriptyline, Xanax, Valium and haven't been controlled on any of then nor any combination of them. Yes, my spouse makes 60k/yr; however, b/c I am unable to work we have so many outstanding bills that our credit is defected. I currently see a psychiatrist, but have not been completely honest with him in that he doesn't have any information on my work history, nor how dangerous my bipolar is. I don't tell b/c I just want to be normal, but I'm not; I let others think this when I need to b/c i don't want to embarass my family anymore. Is there anything here that would qualify me for disability? Or disqualify me for it?

After re-reading this post I realize that it's hopeless for me to even ask. There is no light at the end of my tunnel, but thank you for your time anyhow.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 828

Posted on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 5:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wish I could solve your medical problem, which is the most critical one for you. I can't help there.

But I can encourage you as to your disability claim. If you can prove you can only perform basic activities 2 hours out of 4, you cannot work. File, and hire an attorney now or when you are turned down. You might want to hire someone right now; often bipolar folks will be so down when they are denied that they will not appeal, or so up that they think they don't need to.

To prove disability you must level with your psychiatrist so that he will be able to help you when the time comes.

It is important that you stay clean and sober. It is hard to win a disability claim if you are abusing drugs or alcohol.

Take care, good luck, and do not despair.

kristin nicole
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 2:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Need direction desperately. I am 25 years old. Have had anxiety disorder for around 6 years now and my job record proves it. I can't seem to hold a job or go to school to further my eduction ( I've tried). I am lost. I go to a doctor for my anxiety and am given anti-depression medication.. I am not depressed. I know where it stems from. I just need to know what to do. I can't even survive on my own. Living w/ boyfriend and friends here and there. Need help. Am I too young to file for any help or what? I've tried for years now to no avail. I want to work, I just can't. I can't concentrate, focus or care anymore. I can't even get in my vehicle most days. Thank you for any advice you might have.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 830

Posted on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 5:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kristin, if you can get the doctors to back you up, you have a shot at a disability claim. If you cannot get to work, you cannot work.

sean Harrison
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 10:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,
I am a 33 Y/o disabled Veteran. I have been listed as 100% T&P (total and permanent) by the VA.
In otherwords they have determined that I am disabled for the rest of my life.
I have applied for SS and been turned down twice.
I have hired an attorney out of NY that is a national attorney. However I am unsure about how they are doing things.
I have PTSD and I have a college degree.
I am concerned about winning my case with the ADJ with my age and education.
Any suggestions?

Sean

robin
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, October 01, 2004 - 3:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Paul, If poss I would like some advice on what all would be involved in moving to another state while on s.s. disability.... the disability- ptsd. thank you for your time.

Tina Ritter
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, October 24, 2004 - 3:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,I'm 27 years old. I have been diagnosed by my physician as having Persistent Anxiety, Panic Disorder, and OCD. I had a good job up until March of this year and I quit. When I was at this job I think my problems may have gotten worse. I actually thought about suicide and it got so bad that I couldn't go to work. I have a huge fear of being around people, and a huge fear of any kind of confrontation. I am scared to ask people for help and I am terrified to stand up for myself. Also with the OCD I feel like things have to be dona a certain way, and if there not just that way, then I am scared something bad might happen. That affected my working big time. Because it may have not been what I was supposed to do, but I had to do it that way to ease my fear. Also before this job, I worked at a bank and was robbed at gun point. Now everytime I see anyone who even remotley resembles this person, or if I see someone suspicious looking I get freaked out. I am so scared that people are going to hurt me or my family. So I have gotten to the point now, where I don't even want to leave my house. I got married in February of this year. We have a hard time dealing with my problems, becasue I never want to go out or do anything at all with him. Plus the fact that I am too scared to work. We also want children more than anything, but I am scared of the thought, because I am scared my problems might prevent me from caring for a child properly. I can't even talk to people anymore especially new people. I start studering, am at a loss for words and again start freaking out. I take zoloft and xanax. But all it does is make me feel so tired all the time, don't care about stuff that I used to care about. I don't have money to see a pscyatrist. I had made an appointment with one , but it was very expensvive. I don't work right now and even with my husband's insurance it was expensive. However I am seeing my family Doctor regularly about my problem. Do you think that I might qualify for some kind of help? It don't even have to be SSI, maybe just some help seeing a pscyatrist. Something to help me, where I can get back out in the world again and live my life normal? Sorry to take up so much space. Just wanted to let you know as much as I could. Thanks so much for all of your help. :o)

Haydee
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, October 25, 2004 - 2:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For more information about how to apply for SSDI/SSI on the basis of mental illness, please see the following website:

http://www.crazymeds.org/ssdi.html

Hope that helps

Jan
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 10:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello...I'm 19 years old and I have severe depression and an anxiety disorder which developed from EXTREME stress over the last few years...When I was 15 I had Leukemia which I had to undergo chemo for. My treatment ended last year so this will have no effect as far as disability goes, but it was one of the first steps in causing my depression. At the same time my mother (a widow) had breast cancer. After a few years battling it, she died when I was seventeen and left my sister and I orphaned. Then I had to struggle with a foster home for a year in order to stay with my sister. When I turned 18 I FINALLY got custody of her, but it was quite stressful as it was the beginning of my senior year of high school and my chances of being so young and getting custody weren't very good.
I worked for a few months at a grocery store but had to quit because I got a severe case of mononucleosis. After I recovered from the mono, I started having frequent panic attacks and general anxiety in addition to my depression, which worsened. I've been seeing a psychiatrist and am taking Prozac and Klonopin. My psychiatrist thinks that I never dealt with the grief of losing my parents and my illness and lack of a normal adolescence and since it's combined with everyday adult stresses (including raising a teenager) that it could take a while for me to recover.
I had to finish my senior year on Homebound Instruction because of the mental disorders but graduated in May. I was hoping to feel well enough to get a job over the summer and apply for college but I have not been able to. I even get highly anxious over using the telephone and I have all the classic symptoms of depression.
Anyway, my questions are:
1. Will my age hurt my chances?
2. Does the fact that I could not attend school and have my shrink totally behind my decision to file for disability help?
3. Will the fact that I've had so many traumatic events happen to me at such a young age help my case?

I'm sorry to ramble for so long but I'd appreciate any help.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 763

Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 6:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

1. Will my age hurt my chances?

It makes it harder, but not impossible.

2. Does the fact that I could not attend school and have my shrink totally behind my decision to file for disability help?

Each fact improves your chances but does not make it certain.

3. Will the fact that I've had so many traumatic events happen to me at such a young age help my case?

Yes but they will not make it certain.

Take care and good luck. You should keep struggling to help yourself in any way that is reasonably possible - work, school, and maybe disability. Maybe sit down and talk to a local attorney about the last.

barbieforjesus
Unregistered guest

Rating: 

Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am 30 years of age and was involved in a rape about 5 years ago but gone psycoligic help since 194 and been and out of stress unit off and on and I have PTSD and I am afraid of going out in public..I stay at home and never go out unless I am going to the Doctor and my mom helps me with alot of my duties and I appied for SSI and they gave me a appointment to a psycolgist and after he I saw him he said I had a phobia of going out in public and that his op[inion that what he saw was very beneficial to recieving it and should help alot ..would there be a possibily i will denied and should i get a lawyer if i am denied and what will the lawyer do to help me... i also am not sure about missiouri laws but was wondering how much i would get if i dont get denied or if mmy appeal will will not be denied the second time...Should I try to do the first appeal on my own and if denied after the apeal is that when I should get a lawyer..I know they get about 25 % of my backpay and wonder if i should try doing the first appeal on my own since the pycoligist said his saying should be very benefically to me ..also do anyone think possibly since that psycoligist said this to me would i probablty notget denied..would they go on his word since he will give a good report to ssi on it since they got him for me?..i am new to this so can anyone give me answers to my questions... i have major depression and a very severe phobia of going out and i get very bad panic attacks if i go out in public around crows and even at dr app ..if anyone had this same illness and could help me out to give advice you may leave a message here or email me...I am not good with decisions and scared what I should do...everyone saids get a lawyer but some say try the first apeal on your own first incase you get it that time because you dont have to worry on paying some to the lawyer..i just started appying in oct 2004 and just saw that psycoligist last week and not sure how long before i hear back...i get nervous when i talk to ppl so not sure what to do..can someone help me here...i ahave aso agorphobia and scared around ppl and i cant drive because i have alot of flashbacks and i black out while driving and i use to regress in ages what is my chances ..i am unable to look for work in the mean time because of cant drive and scared to leave house

Gary S
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, January 17, 2005 - 5:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am a Forty year old male and I have been diagnosed with Dementa due to head injuries,Bipolar disorder, panic disorder with agoraphobia, Pain disorder due to General Medical Condition and Psychological Factors,Previous alchol Abuse resolved.I have lots of documentation . I have three of the listings 1202 organic disorder,1204 effective disorder, and 1206 anxiety related disorders.My medications are abilify 30 mlg. a day , klonopin 2mlg a day, oxyconton 240 mlg a day. This has all been documented by a mental health therapist MSW,LCSW.also a PHd in psychiatry and MD. My current GAF score is 45.I was wondering if I have a chance to get Social security or SSI . I am not working and havent been for a long time . I am going to the psyatric services every two weeks and the MD every month . I live in NC and I just got my medicaid.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 999

Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 9:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gary, surely you qualify. Abilify suggests a serious psychological problem, and any psychologist will say that anyone with a persistent GAF, or Global Assessment of Function, much below 60 cannot work.

One tricky thing is that if all of this is caused by current alcohol abuse, you are going to lose your claim even though you are disabled; that is the clear law.

An even trickier thing is this: If you have been sober for years, but the judge suspects you are still drinking, you can still lose! Judges aren't perfect, and often make this mistake. I understand that you have serious psychological problems that are probably not connected to alcohol, and that they probably disable you independent of alcohol consumption, but as a practical matter is difficult to win a disability case based on nerves if there is a suspicion of alcohol involved. That's not the written law, but that is what happens.

The solution is to go somewhere once a week, without ever missing a single week, between now an the hearing, where they will not put up with alcohol, and bring someone from that place to testify. That could be Alcoholics Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous, any drug or alcohol rehab program, or church.

Anonymous

Posted on Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 9:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Am a 57 year old female suffering from depression for the last 20 years.Also have Parkinson's Disease.as you know,these two go hand in hand.I have always worked,but is getting extremely hard for the past year.The depression is getting much worse.I have been getting to work later and later and leaving earlier and earlier.I have a tremendous load of stress that is unlikely to let up..and alot of it is my job.I am in constant pain.Physical and mental.I am on medical leave now due to the depression.also have been treated for depression for years.Could I qualify for disability?I won't be able to go back to work.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1044

Posted on Sunday, March 06, 2005 - 7:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you cannot work, you must file for disability.

The key to your success is probably your long term doctor; be sure he is supporting you.

In some jurisdictions, it is difficult to convince the judges that your psychological problem is serious if you are only seeing a family practitioner or internist about your psychological condition; be sure you are seeing a psychiatrist or psychologist.

Talk to a local attorney about your chances and what else you should do.

Take care and good luck.

xena (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 10:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

paul i wrote to you already but got one thing to add to my ? my GAF score was 60 how does this play a role in my decision. and what is this GAF score?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1041

Posted on Sunday, March 06, 2005 - 7:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

GAF stands for "Global Assessment of Function," which is a number by which psychologists and psychiatrists try to give a general idea of what your overall limitations are. People with a GAF of 60 and below are at least arguably disabled.

PatK (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 11:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been on SSD for several years now due to severe anxiety, depression & resultant agoraphobia. I have found a doctor who has given me hope that if not cured, then my condition can be managed. I want to return to work, assuming my doctor is right, but need vocational training since I've been out of the workforce for so long.

I'm afraid to contact any SS vocational rehab back to work programs or anything like that because I'm afraid my benefits will be stopped and I'm not at a point where I could work yet. I'm not even sure I could manage a classroom on a regular basis. But I want to try.

Thank you for your advice.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1133

Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 9:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pat there is actually a neat program that says if you are in a Vocational Rehabilitation programmed to get you back to work, they are supposd to keep sending you your check. You have to have a plan that will make you more employable.

Anonymous

Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 8:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

my husband has many medical problems mentally from pain of migranes, degenertaive disc disease corpal tunnel both wrists, leg pain back pain neck and shoulders and his left arm goes numb alot, my question is that he is having trouble at work they say his doctors statetment will probally be unexcused if he does not fill out family medical leave papers from the pain clinic were he has faucet injections and epidurahals done and from the his therapist that is trying to help him deal withhis suffering, if they fire him can he get disability? this is only causing more worryin and stress we live in TN

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1131

Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 9:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It sounds like he has a good shot at it. He should also look into Long term disability. Be sure he is seeing doctors who will back him up.

john august (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 10:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i am 50 years old and have been struggling with depression and anxiety disorders since childhood i recently sought consuling and am on a few prescription drugs i have no income and am wondering about ssi this no income is one of the major problems for my depression

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1325

Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 12:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John:
If you cannot work you must file. You should talk to a lawyer and be sure your doctors are behind you.

Take care and good luck.

russell watson (Russwat73)
Username: Russwat73

Post Number: 1

Posted on Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 6:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It would seem that my message has been erased, so here I go again. I am 31 from Texas. I have a series of problems. Yet I have not been to a doctor. I've been like this since early childhood. I hated going to class and not to mention participating in things such as book reports. I still have great anxiety to this day. I can feel my face begin to heat up and I feel like I'm going to explode. Hate to be in confrontations. I try to avoid many people even family. Could never keep a steady job. There is so many other things I could post,but this pretty much cuts to the core of it. What kind of help should and can I get?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1324

Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 12:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Russel: Sorry about the problem with the messages; I am a pretty good lawyer and an amateur webmaster.

It is difficult to win a disability case if you are not seeing a doctor. Imagine that you were the judge, and I came before you and told you my problem was vision; I could not see to read or drive. In the hearing you hand me some glasses, I put them on, and I can see fine. Would you give me disability? No. It is not exactly fair, but that is how most judges look at people who have not tried to fix themselves by going to doctors.

So, the first help you should try to get is medical. If you cannot be fixed, perhaps try filing for disability. I suggest talking to a lawyer early.

Take care and good luck.

FaithG (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 12:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am a 42 year old widow of 3 1/2 years. Around 4/00 I was diagnosed with bi-polar and depression. I saw a psych. and took many meds until 4/03 when I just stopped all treatment. I was told and came to believe myself that it was all in my head and I should snap out of it. ha-ha I have known for some time that "it" was back and 10000x's worse, but only accepted and acknowledged it for about 6 months and have not been to a doctor yet. I've had almost all of their listed symptoms for about 1 1/2 - 2 yrs. This months bills will wipe out my last pennies of savings. I can no longer afford to get the help I so need. My question is do I have to be currently seeing a doctor and if so for how long before I might be eligible? If I were to see my old psych. he would flip out at the change in me. But at $75/15 minutes he isn't exactly an option. Your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

FaithG (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 1:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am a 42 year old widow of 3 1/2 years. Around 4/00 I was diagnosed with bi-polar and depression. I saw a psych. and took many meds until 4/03 when I just stopped all treatment. I was told and came to believe myself that it was all in my head and I should snap out of it. ha-ha I have known for 1 1/2 yrs. "it" was back and 10000x's worse, but only accepted and acknowledged it for about 6 months and have not been to a doctor yet. I have almost all of their listed symptoms. I rarely leave my house, my thoughts and word either scatter conversations or over talk, interrupt.(not pretty) This months bills will wipe out my last pennies of savings. I can no longer afford to get the help I so need. My question is do I have to be currently seeing a doctor and if so for how long before I might be eligible? If I were to see my old psych. he would flip out at the change in me. But at $75/15 minutes he isn't exactly an option. Your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1319

Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 12:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Q. My question is do I have to be currently seeing a doctor and if so for how long before I might be eligible?

A. The short answer is, no, it is not absolutely necessary for everyone. There are a few people that can win a case without seeing a doctor. But that is rare, and you should struggle desperately to see a doctor regularly. Free clincs? Mental Health? Talk to United Way in your community for more ideas.

Q. If I were to see my old psych. he would flip out at the change in me. But at $75/15 minutes he isn't exactly an option.

A. Maybe every few months?

Anonymous

Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 8:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i've seen a dr &phy was diagnosed with bipolar &post tramactic stress my mental health dr said apply for ssd and i did,i have no credits to draw and now my tenncare is stoping means no med so could i get socurity disabilty on husbands record he is already on ssd and my age is 48 need help i'm uninsurable too ...had a lawer applie in 2003 but haven't heard back from him ?? any help or sugestions i sure would be greatful mrs matthews

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1415

Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 6:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is really hard for me to guess what your exact siuation is. Sit down and talk to your lawyer; he will have all the facts. Take care.

Anonymous

Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 7:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi i live in tennessee i have been trying toget my disability now for three years. i am 35 years old married with two kids and have always worked until 2001 when all my problems began. i have degenerative disc disease, gerd,spinal stenosis,cervical fusion,cervical pain, thoractic pain, lumbar pain,lumbar disc bulge,polyneuropathy,L5sacralization, major depression and anxiety with a gaf score of 50 and have been denied by the law judge and is now being appealed. my question is what are my chances of getting my disability.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1413

Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 6:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

At the Appeals Council level it is often not enough to be disabled to win; you need to show an error by the ALJ and you need a very good lawyer who handles a lot of Appeals Council and Federal District Court cases. It is impossible to guess your chances without seeing the ALJ's decision. Get a good lawyer who does a lot of that sort of work. Take care.

brandy coward (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 9:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i ama 28 yr old mother of 2 small children and i suffer from severe drpression and i was just diagnosed with bipolar .. my therapist has advised me notto try to even handle a job right now .. but it's hard . cause i am goin through a seperation fromwhich he is not giving me any money ..so i was wondering if i would b able to apply or what my chances are of gettin disability ?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1411

Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 6:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Brandy: My rule of thumb is that you have a shot at it if your doctor backs you up. Get a doctor, as well as a counsellor, if possible. It would be a lot better to have a doctor than a counsellor. It will take a long time; please see the rest of this site for details and suggestions. Take care and good luck.

Rose (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 4:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My name is Rose; I am French so I firstly apologize for my English as you may find some mistakes. Anyway I would like to share with you my last discovered.
Do you know John Breeding? He has written a book making a great critic of the actual critic of the actual psychiatric system. It is a brilliant account that tries to prove that madness is necessary in the spiritual growth of an adult person. His book is titled The Necessity of Madness. This could be an academic material for the uk mental health services!
I think without doubt that hearing these kind of people’s voices can help to stop the humiliation mental health sufferers feel. Break the taboo!

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1410

Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 6:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

His website is http://www.wildestcolts.com. Peter Breggin, a psychiatrist with respected credentials, takes a similar but more conservative position. http://www.breggin.com/. I am not at all qualified to have an opinion on this question, but hold the personal, nonexpert opinion that anyone who is prescribed psychotrophic medication needs to look at all sides of the question and think long and hard about it. On the one hand some of it is necessary; on the other hand I don't know how many people have told me, "how can I work when I am taking all this Xanax" or whatever.

(Message edited by admin on August 03, 2005)

Anonymous

Posted on Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 1:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am 48 years old. I have never been able to hold a job for longer than two and a half years. I quit all of my jobs because of the stress. I will get decompressed, I guess you could call it, after about five years or so and will try again, but it ends up the same. Now, just the thought of being around people makes me extremely anxious. I can go grocery shopping but, it's very hard to do. I can go grocery shopping with my sister most of the time without getting anxious, but it's because I feel safe with her. I always make sure to have cash in my dealings with people so I don't have to spend any more time than I have to in the situation. My husband is fed up with my wanting to stay home where I feel safe. Yet, it isn't a soft place to fall. He keeps me stressed out all the time with his demands. He thinks I am just lazy, and he has no inclination to learn more about how other people are.

Anonymous

Posted on Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 1:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's all about what he grew up believing, and he won't turn from that. But, the truth is that I am very ambitious. I just can't function in the "real world." I have a rash on my hands and feet from the stress my husband keeps me under. At least I believe it is from that. I did finally get the cash to go to an urgent-care facility with my sister, and the doctor treated me for eczema, and told me we'd need tests if it doesn't go away. The rash is still here. Now, my husband is leaving me. I will have no income at all. There's no money to see doctors and psychiatrists even if I could bring myself to do it. My husband makes only about $350 a week (he has his own problems; he used to make good money building houses -- he now works for someone else doing framing. You see, we tragically lost our only child four years ago December 6.

Anonymous

Posted on Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 1:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I never went to doctors while we had a good income because I simply believed that I was indeed just lazy like my husband said. So, I just struggled along all those years. But, having lost my son, it caused me to look inward and realize who I am. I now know that I am a worthy person with much to give. Yet, I am unable to function as society dictates. Having looked inward, I came to realize that I have been depressed since I was a baby. Having one of your first memories be that of seeing your mom with blood running down her face from having been beaten in the head with a hammer by your father may not make you depressed, but it has me. To this day, I can't stand the sight of blood.

Anonymous

Posted on Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 1:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now that my husband is leaving me, I will have no income whatsoever. I have a web business -- no earnings yet, but I will in time. I have complete faith in my abilities to make it successful. I won't mention the URL here, because this is not an advertisement for my business. I will tell you, though, that it is a business I developed for myself that uses my special abilities and suits me to a T because it involves helping others first and foremost. Secondly, because it doesn't involve leaving home. My husband thinks it's just sitting on my "ass." However, it is in existence because I needed to figure out how to be a productive member of society in a way that accommodates who I am. I've been at it for almost a year now. Of course, everybody but my husband knows that it takes time for success (yes, being a little snarly here).

Anonymous

Posted on Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 1:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know what to do or where to turn for an income in the meantime. How can I get help when I can't talk to people about my situation without crying and being anxious and scared? Isn't there help out there for people like me? If it were within us to go to see lawyers, doctors, and social workers, and to sit before judges asking them for aid, we wouldn't need to, we'd be out there working on a paycheck to meet our medical and other needs. Please! Someone! Fight for me and others like me.

Signed: KindSoul

PS I would be remiss in not showing my appreciation for this site: Kudos to you, Mr. McChesney. I applaud your conscientious and time-consuming effort at building a site that shows your empathy.

Anonymous

Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 3:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am a 35 year old female math teacher who is experiencing extreme work-related anxiety. About 8 years ago, I began having panic attacks at work... thinking that these attacks were mini-strokes or heart attacks, I sought medical attention. The doctor assured me that I was healthy and prescribed "Serzone," which I filled but never finished taking because my mother insisted that I needed to "get it together." Lately, though, since school has began again for the new year, I am feeling some of the tingling and numbness that I used to feel. My neck is tight and I don't sleep well at all, although I am extremely tired. I am afraid the attacks are coming back full force. I have been crying today just thinking of going back to work tomorrow. I am nauseated.
I don't pay in to Social Security. I also do not want to be medicated. My family has a strong history of alcohol and drug dependance and I don't want that for myself.

Amanda (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 12:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello I am a 23 year old female and my mom past away almost two years ago ever since i have been very upset and irritable I get very irritated at work over little things I feel so stressed out. I quit the job i was at for three years about 4 months ago I have another job now but I feel the same stress I feel like i have to drog myself to work everyday i used to love what i do my cousin says i have symptoms of ptsd i made and appointment with a therapyst. Is there any way that I can get some temporary disability so that i can take some time off of work to relieve some of the stress?

momtofour (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 10:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am a 30 year old mother of 4 young children ages 3 to 8. I suffer from type 1 diabetes, depression, anxiety, and OCD. I am curious if I should even apply for disability. I stay in the bed all day most days. I rarely bathe, get dressed, or leave my house. I have difficulty going to sleep, but once I'm asleep I can sleep 20 hours. I can't clean my house. My poor husband works all day, then comes home and has to care of me and the children. He says that he feels like a slave. I just can't get out of bed. I've been on prozac for the better part of 11 years. I've been on other medications (Risperdal, zoloft, wellbutrin, trazodone) but none have helped. The prozac helps a little.

momtofour (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 10:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have seen psychiatrists several times, though the last time was 3 years ago. At that time, he told me I had OCD. I've been depressed my entire life. I've gone to my doctor recently because I'm so tired all the time. I told him that I was depressed. He is running tests to see if there is a medical cause for my fatigue. 6 months ago I was morbidly obese and had weight loss surgery in hopes that once I lost weight I wouldn't be so tired and depressed, but it didn't help. I have a fear of death. I avoid things, because something bad could happen. I have no friends. I no longer leave my house unless I absolutely have to. I'm no longer working. I have a college degree and my last job lasted 2 years. A year ago I reduced my hours to help reduce stress. It didn't help and I finally quit my job 2 months ago. I don't see myself working anytime in the near future. My husband makes decent money, but additional income would help tremendously.

Anonymous

Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 9:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi,i had an fatal accident at my job,im a school bus driver,19 yr.old guy on a dirt bike ran the stop sign hit the side of the bus,killing him,i think about it all the time,lose of sleep,dont eat the same,some times crying,i fill really bad,i dont want to driver a bus any more,i see a conuseler twice a week,do i have disabilty case?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1334

Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 6:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am sorry that happened. It is hard to say based on what you tell me. The key questions are whether you could turn to other work, and whether your doctors would support you in a claim. Answer those questions and you will have a pretty good idea of whether you have a chance at a claim. Of course you should do everything you can to get settled down and get back to some work if possible. If you are unable to get back to work and you are turned down, sit down with a lawyer and see what he thinks about the exact facts of your claim. Take care and good luck.

james armstrong (Vor)
Username: Vor

Post Number: 1

Posted on Saturday, October 01, 2005 - 8:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have read with interest several of the threads in this forum. My situation is that my wife of 14 years has Bi-polar. She worked as a admin asst. before we were married, but soon after the marrage could not hold down a job longer than a few weeks. It got to the point that she was very depressed for many years and did not work at all. I make a fair living (50K, but her medical (mental and physical) as well as some other normal debts that have piled up over the years force us to sell our house and move to a smaller less expensive home. the debt contiues to be overwhelming and I just son't think I can stay with her and her many mood swings, the swings are every day and are classic for bi-polor people. I am seriouls considering divorces, but with the bills and all, I will not be able to offer any decent alimony as wh would be a dependant spuse. I still love her, but I have to get out soon!

Now for my question.... In general, could i help her or offer to help her get SSDI for her mental condition. What ever I can do to help her I want to, but the constant barage of hatered I get frm her is wearing too thin.

Anonymous

Rating: 

Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 8:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am 52 years old. I began having anxiety/panic attacks in 1995, but was not diagnosed till 1997. I worked for 21 years. September of 2003, my doctor took me off work for anxiety/panic disorder. I asked my doctor to release me to return to work Feb. 04. He did. However, I did not return to work. The attacks are unpredictable. I may be ok for a couple of weeks, sometimes up to three weeks, then they start again. It happens at home, while driving, out at restaraunts, etc. I saw a therapist for about a year and I see a psychiatrist to manage the xanax I take when needed. The doctor has tried me on a couple of antidepresants and I had bad reactions to them. I can't seem to handle any kind of stress. Would I be a candidate for social security disability?

lorianne (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 5:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am on disability for bi-polar, carpel tunnel,disassociative disorder, PTSD, and arthritis in my feet and knees. I want very much to be married again. I have heard that the rule on losing your disability when you get married may be changed. Is this true? If/when i get married i will not be mericalously healed and no longer disabled. I think it unfair to punish the spouse financaly for marring a disabled person.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1151

Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 9:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you are drawing Social Security disability on your own record, marriage will not affect your benefits.

If you are drawing SSI it might, and if widow's benefits it probably will.

The only safe thing to do is to sit down and talk to a lawyer and be positive, before you marry.

Anonymous

Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 12:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi! i am a 27 and am in my second semester of college. i remodled my mother-in-law's house,painted for her, and do all the techinical stuff or i guilt my husband into it. My last job was a receptionist/office manager. when i was put in the hospital,an outpatient care.

my work is kind of exciting, as i am a jack of all trades, master of nothing. i love doing reception work though. i have not started anything, partially because i cant concentrate for more than 10 minutes at something.

my "doctors" said that i would be fine. now i am home and right back to going back to the hospital. i am diagnosed as having major(or clinical) depression,recurrant. there is never one day that i dont cry. might i be able to collect disability?
thank you.

sara

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1062

Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 1:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sara: The majority of people with disability are working. For many, the impairment caused by the depression is something that can be worked around; for many counselling or other treatment is enough to enable them to work. If not, depression can be the basis for a disability claim. Whether or not you pursue a disability claim, I would be slow to give up hope of working. Take care.

Joel P. (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 10:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm a 38 year-old male. Though I haven't been officially diagnosed, I feel I have some sort of social disorder.

I have an extreme fear of people. I can't go anywhere there is even 1 person I don't know without having someone I'm close to ( my wife, one of my 2 friends, my mom) with me. I've never been able to hold a job more than 2 years (only once--all others, at most, 6 months) and haven't worked since November of 2000. I've been on Paxil but that just made things worse.. I want to try for disability.

If I'm officially diagnosed (which I know I need to be), would I have much of a chance of getting disability?

Joel
Asheboro, North Carolina

Joel P. (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 10:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also: 1) Would a diagnosis from my family doctor be enough or would I need an official diagnosis from a specialist (Physcotherapist or Physciatrist)? I'm on Medicaid & getting a specialist isn't easy. 2) Should I tell my doctor I'm trying for disability or wait and see if he declares me disabled?

Joel
Asheboro, North Carolina

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1164

Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 8:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Q. If I'm officially diagnosed would I have much of a chance of getting disability?

A. Difficult to say. Might be easy, might be hard.

Q. Would a diagnosis from my family doctor be enough or would I need an official diagnosis from a specialist (Physcotherapist or Physciatrist)?

A. A psychiatrist would be best, or a psychologist. Perhaps Mental Health. It is ok for your family doctor to "amen."

Q. Should I tell my doctor I'm trying for disability or wait and see if he declares me disabled?

A. I would make sure he knew you well first.

Take care.

Anonymous

Rating: 

Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 8:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi. I am 26 yrs. old I have worked since I was 15. But since I was about 18-- I started getting seizures. I went to two different neurologists. I have had all x-rays and tests done,but nothing could be figured out. well here recently within the past month or so has been really bad. I can make it through 1 aisle at the grocery store before I have to run out. I have problem driving because I get anxiety symptoms.It gets real bad if I have no air blowing on me,or if I have to stop at a stoplight even with the air. I started going to a different doctor and he put me on anxiety meds. Its not helping. I dont know what to do. I fight myself everyday not to quit my job. I have 2 children to support. I was thinking about disability or something. Will I be able to? Will it be a long and hard process?

Anonymous

Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 12:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Its hard for me to learn and I need a Ged so I can get a better job.I dont know who to get in touch with to get Ged.I need a Ged and cant find a school to help me. Age 59.It seems to me no one wants to help a person that wants to help them self

Bethanie Boozer (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 4:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am 23 and for the past year I have not been able to work do to a bad case of hypoglycemia and aniexty. I have to eat on an hourly basis and I can not drive and I can not even go into a store for more than 10 mintues. I even tried to go to college and have constant panic attacks and when that would happen my blood suger would drop and I would almost fain. I also had to drop out of high school and get my GED when I was in my senior year. I was woundering if I could get some kind of benifits for this? What would I have to do what kind of doctor would I have to see? I have tried meds but they make my blood suger drop and I know the doctors will try. I am also to scared to go to court because of my aniexty. how do I go about doing this? Please Help

Anonymous

Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 12:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am 50 years old. From 1982-1988 I was employed by the U.S. Postal Service. I worked the necessary five years to be vested in the Civil Service Retirement System. While working for the USPS I was treated for anxiety/depression. I am still being treated for it and have not held a steady job since. Three years ago I was diagnosed with diabetes and have developed peripheral neuropathy, esp. in my legs and feet. My doctor says I am disabled. What options do I have? Can I try to get a Civil Service Disability? Am I too late? This is all so depressing!

Anonymous

Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 9:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been on disability for almost 4 years. I am now being reviewed and they are really stressing me out! I still have the original problem that got me on disability to begin with and a few other health problems have occured in the past three years. I crushed my shoulder in an accident and am in constant pain and have limited use of my arm. I have been admitted to a hospital for depression/suicide attempt three times. I am deeply depressed and never leave the house, I have not driven a car in over a year. I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia by a rheumatologist. I had blood clots cause me to almost lose my leg and had a stent placed in my leg. I had brain surgery to repair an aneurism. I have uncontrollable hypertension and thyroid disease. I am now 53 years old. Do you think they will take away my disability?

holly1972 (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 11:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i applied for ssi disability in feb . and was notified i have to see the doctor of their choice now . i have been on antidepressants for over 10 years now , have hyperthyroidisum, anxity , and bipolar . my question is are my chances good for getting ssi , i am only 33, but i cannot deal with people. and will my husbands job have an affect on what i could recieve? any help would be nice .thanks

T. Sacry (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm a 57 year old man with P.T.S.D. from Vietnam , I had a bypass and was wonder if i coud get S.S.Disability ?

Anonymous

Rating: 

Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 10:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My husband is 38 and currently suffers from anxiety and depression. He suffered a major back surgery several years ago along with a major stomach surgery. He is on medication for all of the above and was currently hospitalized for his depression. I work and have a decent salary, however it is not enough to maintain our household. When you file for disability benefits do they look at my income and bills or just what he has paid into this? Would he qualify for any assistance?

Sweeteyez72 (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 11:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am 33 yrs old and have always worked full time since I was 19. My social security statement has stated for the past 6 yrs or so that I have earned enough work credits if I ever became disabled. I had a horrible childhood(alcoholic mother abused us kids mentally/physically, was molested by a family member, dysfunctional home life as I was growing up.)

I went to a counselor and psych doc about 5 yrs ago. I was diagnosed with PTSD and was possibly bipolar but they would have to see me more to effectively diagnose the bipolar. I became afraid and stopped the appts due to denial of having something wrong. I tend to pretend that I am strong.
continued...

Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 11:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

During my 14 yrs of working, I quit my first 2 jobs within 2 yrs of being hired due to stress/anxiety, insomnia etc. I have worked at my present job for 11 yrs but dropped to part time in 2001 and got a diff job full time. The new job was a desk job with no interaction with customers and I still couldn't handle it. I had stress, rage, insomnia, weak immune system, etc. I went back to my other job full time and quit the desk job. The 11 yrs at my current job have been filled with holes of sick days, leaving work early due to stress, coming in late due to stress and insomnia, breakdowns at work, altercations with customers. Luckily my bosses have known me and I have never been fired or written up. They try to calm me down and suggest I take time off. If I had not had such kind bosses, I would have been fired a long time ago.

continued..

Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 11:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been out of work a week now, I had another breakdown last weekend. Anxiety attacks, insomnia more severe than usual for the past month, chest pains, crying spells, no motivation, don't want to see people other than immediate family, extreme rage and wanting to hit people. I called my family doc, she got me an appt right away last week and she took me out of work. She set me up with a counselor and pysch doctor this coming week. My family doc put me on Alprazolam to calm me down, it helps but not totally. There is still rage and anxiety.

continued...

Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 11:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am going to go on short term disability through my work as I do not feel ready to go back to work and I feel that I will be a harm to others as I have the feelings of hurting people. . I do not know how long it will take for my counseling/meds when I get them to help me get to a state of mind where I can cope and be ok. Should I apply for SSDI now since I have been out of work for a week even though I will be getting short term dis. most likely? I know you have to be disabled for 5 months and unable to work for that length of time before you can get benefits. Should I wait to apply for SSDI to see if maybe I can go back to work in a few months? continued...

Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 11:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

? I am at a loss of what to do and the constant worry is making it worse on my mind. I know people get denied usually on the first time for SSDI, I think that would send me in a terrible rage and I will explode. Should I get an attorney the first time around when I apply for SSDI instead of waiting for denial first. I do not feel that I can properly fill out all the paperwork, info gathering, legal stuff by myself as I get distracted a lot and becoming enraged by too much pressure on me. I have had to stop and start this post as it is...taking breaks in between to think.
I know my post is long but please advise. Thank you in advance for your time, it is highly appreciated.

patty (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 2:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Car accident in 2004 while working. 4 ruptured cervical discs & damaged knees. Can't stand up or sit in a chair for more than 1-2 hour. EMG showed radiculopothy on right side of neck. Have numbness in both feet & legs from sitting too long. Myelogram showed 4 ruptured discs w/ 1 almost touching spinal column. MRI's of both neck & knees. Left knee is now collasping underneath me when walking. Lost on first app. No attorney yet. I'm 48 & have a BA. Worked as paralegal, but now can't sit at a desk. Mousing or typing increases arm & hand pain & walking makes the knots in my neck swell. Depressed because of the trauma of losing my health & my job. I am on Zoloft, Ambien, Hydrocodone, Somas, Flexaril, Naproxen, ULtrams, & Premarin. Have to climb one stair at a time. What chance do I have to get disability, since I have medical records & doctors backing me up?

kaeyreed (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 10:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am 45 yo with Bi-Polar II disorder, I am on 300 mg Seroquel, 150 Lamictal, 1250 mg Depakote, I haven't worked since 1998 because disorder caused me legal difficulties. I am unable to care for any of my financial responsibilities because I always get in trouble. I go quickly between up and down and medicing is constantly changing, hands jerk and memory is affected, should I apply for SSD?

bob calh (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 10:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have operated heavy machinery for 25 years
for my brothers company, never missed a day
and appear the perfect worker except

have severe depression
take many meds (same dosage 25 years)
sleep virtually every non working moment
have zero friends or social activities
have been hospitalized
see a psychiatrist bi weekly
have many anger ourbursts only tolerable by family
and can barely make it to work anymore
threaten to quit or am threatened to be fired
rountinely
fear not working because it is my link to the
world, but i'm having close calls and now
i'm hiding my depression even more every day
i cant keep this cover up forever

fear the ssi process

i have read ssdi papers and my doctor says
i'd qualify........how do i prove my ability
to work was because family allow a 'nut'
to operate machinery

cd key plugins para rpc
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out  
cd key plugins para rpc
This site is maintained by Paul McChesney, an attorney who has been practicing disability law for around 25 years in North and South Carolina.

If the subject of disability is important to you, or if you want to find out more about us, you should explore the rest of this site. To do so, go to our homepage, Carolina-disability.com.

Please don't take anything on this site as legal advice! Nor should you take any action, or fail to take any action, based on any communication provided through this site. Before doing that, it would be wise to sit down and talk to an attorney in his or her office. Please also see our disclaimer at this link: Disclaimer. We want to be as helpful as we can be on a website; please thank us by doing this.