Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Joint, Bone, and Muscle Problems
delphy download
Social-Security-Disability-Forum » Joint, Bone, and Muscle Problems  

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        
delphy download

delphy download
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)delphy download

Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2001 - 9:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you are here, you might look at a few other categories if your problem seems to fit one of those categories: Try Q. about Back Problems, Q. about Reflex Sympathetic Distrophy, Q. about Fibromyalgia, Q. about Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Q. about Multiple Sclerosis, Q. about Post Polio Syndrome, Q. about Quadriplegia, and Q. about Rheumatoid Arthritis

shirley butler

Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2001 - 11:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have multiple joint problems, Cervical disk disease,Degenerative joint diseasein both knees,Osteoarthritus. Chronic radiculopathy and peripheral neuropathy, Bilateral carpal tunnel, Hypertensive cardiovascular disease,Gastroesophageal reflux disease, Allergic rhinitis,Hypothyroidism, by history do you think i will quaitify for diability. Worked at same job for 21 1/2 yrs.Live in Mississippi

Reply by Paul You certainly might have a claim. Please do sit down and talk with an attorney; preferably before you file, even. Take care and good luck.

Nancy Johnson

Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2001 - 2:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I suffer from morbid obesity and also have arthritis in my back (three deterioated disc), 2 herniated discs, spurs on my back and knees , both knees are worn badly and I have been told I will have to have both knees replaced. I am in constant pain. I have a desk job, but still requires some standing and walking. Do I sound like I would quality for benefits? I am 47 years old and have worked for the last 20 years. I am on long term disability presently.

Reply by Paul If you are qualified for desk work, you usually have to show you cannot attend work reliably, or have to elevate your legs, or that you cannot concentrate; but there are other ways to qualify also; don't take this as a complete list! You probably have a good chance. I would not try to do it on my own, though, at least past the first level.

If you are on long term disability insurance there are a number of strong arguments that you should file. There is rarely any sense in continuing to draw those sorts of benefits without also filing a Social Security claim.

Tina Quinn

Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2001 - 8:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am 40 years old. Have syringomelia/possible Arnold-Chiari Malformation/scoliosis with harrington rod/do not have full use of left hand/left leg limp, shorter and weaknes/right leg & hip pain due to "transfer" problem from all of my weight is being supported on one "spot" on the spine due to the rod fusion/joint is wearing out because of rod/
What do you think???

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2001 - 6:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You have a condition that will be taken seriously. As to whether you can win a disability claim now, that depends on what limitations you have as a result of your condition, whether you have job skills that tend to make you more employable, and whether you have worked enough, in the case of Social Security Disability, or are poor enough, in the case of SSI.

If I were you, I would talk to a local attorney. Actually hiring one is a seperate question, which you can decide later. Most don't charge for a consultation. If you want me to suggest one, please click here to email me your state and city. Good luck.

Anonymous

Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2001 - 6:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i worked for 33 years at the same job. the last
few years i have not been able to work because of
problems with my legs and standing or sitting. they changed me around in several areas and it did not help. so i just retire becasue of the pressure and my condition 2 years ago. i was wondering if i could get any help. 2 years ago the doctor told me that i had to may a choice what to do. now i really need some help and know that i cannot hold down a job. i am 58 years old.
do you think that i could get help?

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2001 - 5:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, you well might be able to get social security disability. Someone who is over 50, cannot stand to work, and has only done that kind of work all of his life can often qualify. Please email me by clicking here if you want me to suggest an attorney. Good luck.

Tony Moore

Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2001 - 1:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have had two major back surgeries and two neck surgeries, as well my left pelvis cracked into half from top left to bottom right and has pins in it. I have high blood pressure, cholesterol, and some arthritis. I have severe pain in my back still and especially in my knees and calves of both legs. I can only sit for a small while or stand without the pain becoming excruciating. Recent testing shows some problems but the doctor is reluctant to do more surgery, yet my pain is just at no ends. I take ultram, hydrocodone, and several other pain medications. I cannot sleep at night and have to take ambien and I do not get rest and therefore do not function well. Am I ultra for any kind of disability. I am a 50 year old male. I am currently working with missing work more. I come home and am just in so much severe pain I cannot think straight at times. I am fixing to relocate to San Antonio where my wife has taken a promotion. I just don't know if I can continue work.

Reply by Paul If you are briefly without a job, consider applying. Be sure you go to a sympathetic doctor in San Antonio. Sit down and talk to an attorney in San
Antonio who does a lot of this. Once you reach 50, it gets easier to be successful, particularly if you have primarily done nonclerical work. Take care.

Brenda Heckard

Posted on Monday, October 01, 2001 - 9:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I live in Indiana, and have had two back surgeries in the past 15 years. The latest one was 3 years ago. I have 3 rods and 6 screws in my lower back. I tried to return to work after my last surgery, I worked 18 months. The pain in my back is terrible. I applied for Disability 3 months ago. I just received the decision of denial of the claim. I also was denied 15 years ago. Disability says that I can do light work. I cannot sit or stand for long periods of time. I am 49 years old. My spine doctor tells me that I would be crazy to return to work, for fear of more back problems. Do you have any suggestions? My husband is 50 and on disability due to severe heart and lung problems. We have very little income. We both are on Medicaid, which helps with his $600.00 a month medications. Thank you so very much for any info.

Reply by Paul The first question is always health. If it is dangerous for you to try to work, don't do it. Of course be sure your doctor is right about the danger.

You should sit down with an attorney, and you should file; I would do it in that order. You will probably be eligible for SSI at least, and if you have worked enough, for Social Security Disability, also.

A very rough rule of thumb is that it is all easier when you turn 50, though that is not always true, and it doesn't mean you should wait!

Take care.

Nikita 34

Posted on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 10:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dec 99 I had a work injury and I am still currently being treated for it Diagnosis: Brachialplexus C-5 thru C-7 and D-1. Carpal Tunnel right wrist and depression from the chronic never ending pain in my right shoulder. Had been in and out of work for about 6 months throughout this time. I have had 2 jobs since this injury and I am unable to stay in a job for very long because of the requirements they have ex:heavy lifting, range of motion, overhead use. I have been in grocery line of work since I was 16 years old and I am currently 34. And I find it harder with each day to perform my job. I am currently restricted to part-time work with no heavy lifting. Have very little strength in my right arm and hand mainly use my left hand for majority of my daily life. Take several pain meds and anti-depressants and sleeping pills. Do I have a SSD case?? I live in SC and It's work comp injury.

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Friday, June 01, 2001 - 7:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nikita, it is difficult but not impossible for a person in their 30's to get disability. It also depends on your education, and what else you might be able to do. I would sit down and talk to an attorney right now, before you lose your job, and think together about alternative strategies. If you want to email me the city you live in, I might suggest an attorney.

Michael Lionel

Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2001 - 4:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Greetings,My Name is Michael Lionel,It's been (9)
years now I have my Disability.On(July/21/92) my
Right-Hand was Crushed in a Press-Brake Machine
While I was working at a Metal-Shop here in(STX)
St.Croix,(V.I.)I had just made a year working on
the Job I used to work on the weekend and Holidays
While I attended School.I Graduated in 1994 after
my Job-Injury I did'nt Work again until 1999.Also
after my Job-injury I received Workmans Compensa-
tion for(14)Months.When it Ended I was told by my
Doctor to check Human Services,Who told me that I
Qualified For Vocational Rehabilitation.They sent
me to College for the whole a 1999 and 1/2 of 2000
I took off some Semesters to Work to Save Money to
Transfer to a college in the(U.S.A)At this Moment
I am Unemployed and I need to Know if I can get
anything for my Disability at this Moment.Write me
as Soon as Possible.Also I forgot to Mention that
my Index finger on my Right-Hand was Amputated.I
Could use any Information you have to help me at
this Moment to Help me with my Daily life and to
Help me go to College to Become a Occupational-
Safety -Health-Inspector.(Thank-You)*

Reply by Paul Let me restate your questions and then answer them as best I can.

1. Can I draw Social Security Disability or SSI right now?
A hard question to answer. Assuming that you are right handed and that you have lost the use of your right hand, that will certainly narrow the range of jobs avaiable to you. Whether it would disable you is a harder question. Certainly if you were in such pain that you could not concentrate on any task that would be disabling. If not, would there be some jobs left? Are there any special rules that would direct a finding of disabled? Hard questions to answer; you should sit down and talk to a local attorney about the issue.

2. Are there any other ways I can get help? This is an even harder question, that I do not claim to have any particular expertise at. Vocational Rehabilitation and education are excellent ideas. They tend to lead to skills that do not require good manual dexterity. That will make you more employable despite your handicap.

Take care.

Justin Boon

Posted on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 9:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

6 months ago i had an industrial accident involving a circular saw. The saw took off my right index finger, middle finger and through the nerves and pad of my right thumb. I have lost my index finger to the nuckle, the middle finger has been re joined athough there is not use in this finger and intense pain in the thumb. I am 20 years of age and have been back to work for 2 weeks, i am having the pins removed from my middle finger in 2 weeks time. Will i be able to claim disabilty allowance.

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Friday, October 04, 2002 - 5:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you have a disability that does not prevent you from working, you cannot get help from Social Security Disability. You might be able to get something from Worker's Compensation in your state; to find out, check with a lawyer there. Take care.

michael r sigmon

Posted on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 6:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i am writeing you to see if you think i should try for some help? i've worked cons. for 27 years and have to have 7 scopes on my knees.one lower back disk surgury , avascular neurosis they replaced my left hip in june and presure releive on my right now my right is going out i think it going to have to be replaced also.and the dr, said i had a disk piching a nerve in my neck . now ive been out of work since then . dont know what to do fixing to lose it all . what should i do? msigmon lancaster s.c.

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Saturday, December 21, 2002 - 6:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You should apply immediately. I assume that you are over 50 and have don't have skills transferrable to sedentary work; in that case you have a pretty good chance. Be sure not to give up; and talk to your doctor and be sure he is supporting you.

I would also go ahead and sit down and talk to an attorney.

Take care and good luck.

SAUNDRA ROGERS

Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 12:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HI,I LIVE IN CINCINNATI,OHIO AND I HAVE A BAD CASE
OF RHEUMATOID ARTRITIS IN BOTH OF MY HANDS.I HAVE
HAD IT FOR ABOUT 2YEARS NOW,AND IT IS GETTING WORSE.MY WORK IS CHOPPING,CUTTING LIFTING,AND IN
COLD WATER.I HAVE BEEN ON MY JOB FOR 29YEARS I AM
50 YEARS OLD.I AM STILL THERE BUT I NEED TO STOP
BECAUSE I AM IN PAIN ALL DAY,AND NIGHT.I AM IN THE
CARE OF A DOCTOR.I HAVE LUMPS ON THE TOP OF MY HANDS.DO YOU THINK THAT I HAVE A CASE? WHAT ABOUT
A LAWYER? IF I DO HAVE A CASE HOW LONG WILL EVERYTHING TAKE ABOUT?WHAT ABOUT MEDICAL,FOOD STAMPS? DO YOU THINK I COULD GET THOSE? THANKS FOR
YOUR TIME TO ANSWER MY QUESTIONS,THIS IS REALLY ON
MY MIND AND I NEED TO GET STARTED RIGHTAWAY THANKS
AGAIN

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 5:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You certainly can consider filing, if the arthritis is causing serious problems with the use of your hands, and you cannot stop it. There are some good new arthritis treatments; be sure you have tried them first. Be sure you have your doctor backing you up, and be sure that you have an attorney. I would sit down with an attorney and plan, even before I stopped work. You might file, and continue to struggle to work. This is because it can take so long. Take care and good luck.

jsmith

Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 2:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am a 42yr old female and was told 2yrs ago that I have carpal tunnel I have had 2 surgerys on my right hand and 1 on my left also a damage nerve in my neck that might need to be removed since then I have also deveoped arthritis in both hands I am unable to lift anything over 2lbs without causing severe pain I have constant tingling in my hands along with weakness,I have trouble even bushing my teeth because of the pain and weakness in my hands I also suffer from hypertension.Do I have a claim in your opinon? Thank you for this web site I look foward to your reply.

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 5:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you can't use your hands to write, type, or lift, you cannot do any work, clerical or otherwise. Of course you need a doctor to back you up and say you are so limited. Take care.

michael r sigmon

Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 2:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i wrote you back in dec. about my situation of haveing bad knees and i had to have my other hip replaced so i filed for my disabilty in jan. all of my money has ran out . my family dr.sent a letter in saying i couldn't work no more.the dr. that replaced both my hips said the only thing i would be able to do is a desk job ? but if he releases me the bank will take the house and car cause theres no money to pay the bills how long does it take to here some thing from the review board they said it was turned over to thr dr. review on march 27

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 5:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It can take a long time, I am afraid. Please see the discussion on how long it takes by clicking here. I again suggest hiring an attorney, who can give you a more specific answer.

MARY ANNE LUNSFORD

Rating: 
Votes: 4 (Vote!)delphy download

Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 3:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

THE PAIN I HAVE FORM MY SERVERE CASE OF SCOLIOUS IS SOMETIMES ALMOST UNBEARBLE. IF ONLY I COULD JUST DO AWAY WITH THAT SIDE OF MY BODY. I HAVE NOT WORKED IN A COUPLE OF YEARS AS MY BOSS OF 7 YEARS MOVED THE BUSINESS TO ANOTHER STATE. MY HUSBAND TOLD ME TO TAKE OFF A LITTLE WHILE AND GO TO DRS AND ALL THAT TO SEE IF I COULD GET TO FEELING BETTER AND SOMETHING DONE ABOUT ALL MY PAIN. WHILE I WAS WORKING FOR HIM (MY BOSS)I HAD A MUSCULAR ATTACK ONE DAY AND HAD TO LEAVE WORK AND GO TO THE DRS OFFICE AND GET SHOTS IN BOTH OF MY HIPS TO MAKE THE SPASMS GO AWAY. I HAVE HAD SCOLIOUS ALL MY LIFE . I DID NOT REALIZE AS YOU GET OLDER IT WOULD BE SO PAINFUL AND ONLY GET WORSE. . I AM 54 YEARS OLD NOW AND I CAN HARDLY GET UP IN THE MORNING . MY WHOLE BODY FEELS STIFF AND THE PAIN IS CONSTANT. SOME TIMES I CANNOT EVEN SLEEP AT NIGHT. I SLEEP ON AHEAT PAD. I CANOT TKE ANYTHING OR TH EPAIN BUT ASPIRIN, TYLENOL AND IOTHER STUFF LIKE THAT. I HAVE TRIED CELEBREX BUT EXPERIENCE SIDE EFFECTS. I ALSO HAVE UNEXPLAINED EARACHES THAT APPEAR OUT OF THE BLUE. I NEED TO GO BACK TO WORK BUT I CANNOT AS I CANNOT SIT OR STAND FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME.I HAVE TO GET DOWN ON MY HANDS AND KNEES EVEN TO TRY AND VACUMN MY HOUSE. I HAVE STOOL IN THE KITCHEN I SIT IN WHEN I COOK. I HAVE HAD MRI'S AND XRAYS AND BEEN TO MANY DRS AND NO ONE CAN DO ANYTHING TO HELP ME. THE DR, THAT DID THE MRI AND X-RAYS SAID IT WAS THE WORSE CASE OF SCOLIOUS HE HAD EVER SEEN. ALL MY BACK AND HIP ON THE RIGHT SIDE ARE AFFECTED. THE NERVES SENDS PAIN ALL THE WAY DOWN TO MY TOES.I HAVE ARTHRITUS IN MY HANDS AND IT BAD IN THE MORNINGS. DO YOU THINK THAT I COULD BE APPROVED FOR SOCIAL SECURITY DISABILTY.? WHAT DO I DO AND WHERE DO GO TO SEE. I HAVE WORKED SINCE I WAS 16 YEARS OLD. I WORKED AFTER SCHOOL .PLEASE ADVISE . THANKS, MARY ANNE LUNSFORD

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 4:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You describe a very serious condition, which sounds disabling to me. If you are not working, you must file. If you do not win on your own the first time, get a lawyer and appeal.

buzzardd

Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 1:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I currently receive social security disability benefits and have since February of 2001. I have read that children of those receiving SSDI are entitled to benefits themselves but have felt that was unnecessary, it was difficult enough to convince myself that my condition warranted the benefits and have since been working very hard in order to be able to cancel the ss as soon as I'm able. We found out in May that my son has Perthes disease and since have been involved in a struggle, going from dr to dr in hopes of helping my 4 year old. He has it in both hips and it has progressed, causing him to be unable to walk for days at a time. His school is uncooperative because he is not certified as disabled or handicapped and I was informed, wrongly I am hoping, that if he is certified and/or requires a wheelchair, he will then be placed in special education. This infuriates me! My son is bright and possesses an above average intelligence, in no one belongs in special ed. He is, at the moment, hospitalized and in traction at a children's hospital here in Texas. We have learned that he will undergo surgery to relax his leg muscles and placed in a partial body cast. Perthes is a disease of 4 stages that must naturally progress, my son could suffer short term complications for the next 2-3 years and may suffer long term problems such as degenrative arthritis, even a hip replacement. Would he qualify for benefits on his own behalf?

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 6:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Buzzard, your son might be entitled in one of two ways: If you are in fact drawing Social Security Disability benefits, as opposed to SSI, and your check is large enough, he might be entitled to a small check just because he is your son.

And, if he has Legg-Perthes disease, he might be sufficiently impaired to qualify for SSI, or Supplemental Security Income. Some kids with this disease do, and some don't. There are some nice websites about the disease: http://maxpages.com/lpsupportgroup and http://nonf.org

R. Sadler

Posted on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 5:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hanging in there. Trying to get meds for free. Very little in free care here in lowcountry that I can find. Posted to Jan 14 without an answer. Just recieved a leter from ssa that states that I meet their Medical criteria but they are checking the non medical criteria. What is that? Another complication is that my husband and i seperated 6 years ago but never divorced will this effect my ssdi? He doesn't even file his taxes and is bad drunk?

bruce smith

Posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 8:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My name is bruce Smith and I'am 39 and have had back surgery with two seven inch titanuim rods put in along with 13 screws. I felt fine the first couple of years and now have severe back pain with numbness in my hands and feet. I'am currently taking sleeping pills due to getting no sleep at night. My primary physian also put me on pain medication and this does not help. My surgeon at this time put me on light duty on my job. I'am currently working in maintenance which requries heavy lifting. I do not know how long I can be on light duty and cannot afford to be out of work. I was thinking of applying for disability and was wondering what my chances are due to having a strong work history. I applied for disabilty when I was 26 due to having scolosis (curvature of spine). I did get denied and have not applied since. Could you pleade give me some advice. Thanks

bonnie beckman

Posted on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 9:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have arthitis in my knee and hands do i have a claim

Chris

Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 10:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am a 34 year old male, I have severe athritis in my feet, ankles,1 knee as of now, and both hands, also I have a rupured disc in my back that the DR. ruled 6 years ago, as a 10% disability.I also have gout, but medicine controls that most of the time.Most days I cant walk far at all, some days, I can't get out of bed, If I sit, or stand, I'm in constant pain, and severly hooked on the pain med they give me. I have a wife of 13 years, and a darling 4 year old daughter,We just last year, bought a new home, before I got this bad, and was still working.My question is what do I do, my DR, keeps giving me different kinds of meds that do not help, I have lost 3 jobs because most days, I cant walk, my bills are piling up, my wife works 7 days a week,right now the only way I see out is let my wife collect life ins. and then the ss office has to pay her for my daughter every month.Please Tell me what I should do!I have tried soo many different jobs,but no one wants an employee that is out 3 to 4 days a week.

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 5:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you miss more than 3 days a month, you should be found disabled. I still suggest getting an attorney, just to be sure.

Martie Meverden

Posted on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 11:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am 46 years old. I had my 1st hip operation at the age of 14 when they pinned the bone to the socket due to hip dislocation. At the age of 16 they removed the pins because of limited motion. Then at the age of 18 they went in and tried shaving the bone. Finally at the age of 20 I got my first hip replacement. This lasted 15 years when they had to do another hip replacement at the age of 35. Last year at the age of 45 they had to do a hip revision. This operation caused a stretched sciatic nerve. It's been a year and half and the nerve has not got better and the hip pain is worse along with the pain below the knee. Do you think I have a good case for Social Security Disability. My doctor says that this is a diability due to pain and limitaions. What do you think?

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 5:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is a possibility. Sometimes a multiple hip revision can be so painful that you cannot think to do even sedentary work. At 46, that is what you would have to show. If you cannot work, you must file.

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 7:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bruce: I could say a lot of things, but the one thing that seems most important to me is that you sit down with an attorney that does a lot of this sort of work before you call it quits. For folks with serious impairments, jobs are scarce and valuable commodities. You want to be sure that you have elected all of the benefits such as long term disability that might make pay you more quickly than Social Security. And you might be able to file and go back to work, to reduce the amount of wait time, which can be a year or two. There are other ideas that an experienced attorney might have once you share your whole situation.

I am not sure if you need to stop work today.

But I am sure that you need to talk to someone about it who has gone down the road before.

Take care and good luck. I will be glad to talk to you if you live in the Carolinas; call me at the number below.

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 7:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bonnie: Practically everyone over 55 has some arthritis in his hands and legs. The crucial other questions are whether the resulting pain, after medication, makes it difficult to concentrate; whether it is difficult to walk; whether the person can use one or both hands for fine manipulation; whether he can use one or both hands for gross manipulation; what the prior jobs were; what other jobs the person might be able to do in light of transferrable skills; and the person's age.

Depending on the answers to these questions, there might be more. Paul Hibbard is a lawyer; all he has to do is talk, so it does not matter that he is paralyzed from the neck down, he can work. A friend of mine is a little retarded, and cannot read and write, and when he could not stand on his knee, there was no work left for him.

The question of disability is really a complicated one, that depends on many factors in most cases.

vicki Gregory

Posted on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 8:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi, I am a 42 year old female sho worked as a home health aide for 15 years up north before moving to the Gulf coast of MS 3 years agoa nd imm. obtained a job as a nurses aide on the floor, while sleeping one night, 8 months into my job, I ruptured 2 discs, had ACF with hardware, rehabed for 6 months with PT and went back to work only to rupture another disc 3 weeks later with more surgery (no hardware)then problems started after 2nd surgery, I have DDD,cervical dystonia, spasmotic toticollis, cervicogenic headaches, very firm indurated trapezeius muscles, hypertension, asthma(mild) sleep apnea, reflux, recent MRI "satisfactory", spinal canals in general are narrower than average on a congenical basis, bridging osteophytes centrally and to the right causing mild spinal stenosis,at the C4-5 level, mild spinal stenosis at C5-6 for same reason and mild flattening of the left aspect of the spinal cord. The muscle spasms cause me dibilitating headaches for which I have had Botox in Sept 2003 and most recently Myobloc injections of 20,000ml injected into my neck muscles and back of head. I can feel the headaches worsening already and it has been a mere 2 months only. I also have CTS due to the swelling impinging on my nerves in arms and hands, rotator cuff injury R shoulder tennis elbow L arm. I an Rx'd Oxycontin 30 mg. 3x day, nexium, hyxaar, lipitor for increased chol. zanaflex on a PRN basis and Valium, CPAP for sleeping and nebulizer as needed. I received my denial letter yesterday from SSD and will appeal, I am being referred from my neurosurgeon to a pain management doctor June 1, for possible change from Oxy to Methadone and/or pain pump implant and/or spinal cord stimulator, I have tried tens unit and another machine I cannot even pronounce, he may want to try epidural blocks or maybe nothing, I do not know, but I will wait til I se him and my neurologist before appealing due to having some new documentation, I am almost limited from anything due to it causing severe spasms in the trapezius and creating severe headaches, I can feel exactly where the headaches radiate from at some points, I cannot lift anything, cannot reach, walk for long periods or stand for long periods without these muscles tightening up. I have GED and only a certificate for a nursing assistant, I am not certified. They stated that due to my problems not being severe enough and education, I can get a menial job, the ? I have is at what point ans should I obtain a lawyer, before or after my appeal is filed? Thank You

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 5:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You are disabled. I don't know how they could turn you down, but they did. I see this a lot. I get the medical records, all the docs say disabled, and I don't understand why the person could have been turned down. I am embarrassed for my government, and I apologize for them. I am embarrassed that you have to hire a lawyer in the shape you are in. But something is wrong that a good lawyer might be able to fix. Hire one. Be sure that all your doctors are on your side.

vicki gregory

Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 1:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Paul for the quick response,I had written on Friday May 28, have not appealed as of yet or gotten attorney, will see nuerologist this afternoon, a bit of more info for another question that I have, I did forget to mention I have breast numbness on left side of my L breast, just to nipple area, had an appointment with the pain management doc yesterday and as examining me, he had me lying down and pulled on my head with no pain, as he pushed my head towards my body, caused great pain, was very concerned for the numbnes of my breast(for which I had a mamammogram and ultrasound for in late 2003 was negative) He has ordered many tests and procedures and I want to know if you think this will be a big help to my appeal?

MRI of Thoracic without contrast
Trigger point injections X3
Cervical Epidurals X3
Physical Therapy 2xweek for 3 weeks
RS Stimulator

I think he may beleive getting the MRI maybe there is something impingeing on a nerve in my breast, he also gave me a shot(?) in my head for the headache that was produced from the pulling on my head and manipulating the muscles and nerves at the base of my neck. Told me to continue seeing my neurologist, have appointment today and will relay all this info to him and possible change of Oxycontin, due to upsetting my stomach and vomiting at times. These test and procedures have to be done over a period of time ending with Sept 30. As before, my ? is will all this info help on an appeal? Thank you for your time.

Dennis McGee
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 5:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

22 years ago I had multi trama accident,comminuted subtronchanteric fracture right hip,spleen removed,small bowel tear, 14 breaks in my ribs,pelvic fractured twice,crushed sinus cavity,crushed left shoulder and right shoulder broke.Ihave a lot of fatigue.4 years ago started having trouble with my knee.severe pain in the hip and knee.foud out this year had a staplh infection.had surgery 2 months ago to remove hardware and clean bone,been on iv medication for 6 weeks with no assurance of stalph being cleared up.does this sound like I have a shot at disability thank you.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 731

Posted on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 7:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is hard to say, since it turns on a medical question, and since I don't have any feel for what long term limitations you have.

The medical question is whether, after your infection clears up (if it does), you will have further problems. If an impairment does not last, or is not expected to last, for a year, you cannot get Social Security Disability or SSI.

It is also hard to say, from your post, what impairments you have presently. I know you have some very serious medical problems, but you do not say how you are limited by them, or what age, education, and work experience you have.

If, for example, you are a 35 year old attorney who limps a little but must take a pill for the staph infection every day, you can work.

If you are a 59 year old illiterate bricklayer who can't lift bricks, or much else over 20 pounds, you are disabled.

If you want to add your age, education, work experience, and the extent of your current limitation I will try to give you a better answer.

angie_banks
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 12:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am only 30 years old and have had 3 kids. At the age of 11 I had two slipped bilateral hips and two surgeries. Since then I have had 3 kids and 3 c-sections. My hips hurt everyday. I suffer some how.Truthfully I cannot think even if I have a sit down job and my hips still ache then. I have had problems every since i was young but never seeked any advice from Doctor except when I was pregnant. I am also 100 lbs over ideal body weight and i know that has alot to do with it. I cant seem to lose any weight. I dont know what to do or who to turn to. I was wondering if u think I should even try to get disability. Thanks for taking time to read this.

Angie
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 9:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

one more thing I forgot I also have major anxiety, depression and have been diagnosed bipolar, been off and on lots of diffrent medications, the last few years seem to have goten worse and inhibits me from being able to preform any kind of work, should i use all the factors working against me or one or the other would work best? please let me know.I live in Missouri by the way... thanks

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 813

Posted on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 8:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you are in so much pain that you cannot reliably attend to a sit down job, that is generally disabling.

Of course you must prove it, so you must have a doctor who is ready to help.

Bipolar problems and depression can disable in much the same way, and again you need to be able to prove it.

Take care and good luck.

Larry Burkett
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, October 15, 2004 - 2:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have had severe arthritis in my hands feet and eye problems from it since 1990 have taken all kinds of meds to help with it they all seem to work for awhile then i have to try something else I am 55 years old. A few years ago i had 2 stents put in now i have 2 deterioated disc.I am on 10 different medicines for arthritis,heart. I was wondering it I qualify to get social security .
Thanks

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 903

Posted on Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 7:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is impossible to say for sure since you don't say what limitations you have as a result of your conditions. Certainly a heart condition that requires as stent is serious; a back condition that requires 10 medicines is serious; and it starts getting easier to get disability at 55, so Social Security disability is disability is a strong possibility for you. I would sit down and talk to an attorney about it.

grace dibenedetto
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, December 31, 2004 - 6:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I 43 year old female I have been have neck and back pain I just had an MRI it says degenerative disk disease throughout the cervical spine ,worse in the upper mid cervical spine ,minifest as loss of normal water signal and intervertebral disk space height with some plate changes given multilevel disease and the fact that abnormality I also have myasthenia gravis disease, thyroid ,diabetes, carpel tunnel, My doctor has me off work dont know if I will be going back I work in a nursing home and have to do alot of lifting I did not complete HS and have been doing this kind of work all my life do you think I have a chance on getting social security

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 965

Posted on Saturday, January 01, 2005 - 6:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know that you have a lot of problems, but it is hard to say from what you tell me whether you might be successful.

Each of the diseases you describe are serious, and several of them could be disabling if they were the only problems you had.

On the other hand there are people who have each of those diseases who are working.

What you leave out is the limitations caused by each disease.

Let us assume that you cannot return to your work at the nursing home, and that we can prove that.

The remaining question is whether the limitations caused by your diseases are severe enough to keep you from doing any other work. If you can show that, you should consider filing a claim.

Jen Finch
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, January 09, 2005 - 6:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi. I am a 36yr old female with DDD in lower spine and c-spine. 2 yrs ago I had a 2 level c-spine fusion. I did return to my job of 15yrs, (machinist, very heavy work), after the fusion. After about 6 months, I started having the same pain and symptoms as before the 1st fusion. I did the light duty thing begining in Oct. 2003. In very early Jan 2004 I was taken off work due to pain and further degeneration of the disks both above and below the 1st fusion. I have now been off work for 1 year. In the mean time I have been let go from my job of 15 yrs because I was unable to return and do even the light duty tasks after 9 months off. I did apply for SS in June and have been turned down. Of course I have now retained an Attorney and have filed an appeal. I have only a 10th grade education and have been doing the same job for 15yrs. There are no other jobs in my area that I can do. My limitations prevent me from doing even a desk job, as I did try that also before going out on sick leave 1 yr ago. I have had MRI's and exams showing nerve root involvment again. My surgeon doesn't want to fuse again so soon because of my age. As I am only 36 he wants to wait as long as possible for another fusion as this will then compromise the adjoining disks and so on. Oh ya, I also have DDD in my lumbar spine that makes it impossible to stand or walk for any length of time. Even typing this message has caused great neck strain and requires me taking more pain meds. And then of course the pain meds makes it impossible to do anything but sleep.
I am unable to shop by myself for heavens sakes! AND on top of that I have Fibromyalgia and severe depression.
What do you think my chances of winning on appeal are and what is the best way to prove to SS that I am unable to work?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1138

Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 5:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jen: You certainly sound disabled to me, but of course you must be sure that all the medicals match your statements. If so you have a good shot at it; but your lawyer, who has looked at the records, has a better guess than I do.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1149

Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 9:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Q. Am I right - this means the judge has to rely on the professional opinions from my 2 doctors and the judge has no professional to dispute the doctors' authority is stating that I am truly disabled and their opinion as to why?

A. Well, that makes it tougher for him to deny you. But there are sometimes ways he can deny it; your lawyer will have a better feel for what your chances are in your particular case.

Q. Will his income increase because of my SSDI?

A. Not sure. Depends on how much his check will be under your record.

Q. Will my husband that has to now care for our handicapped son receive anything?

A. If you win he might be eligible for fathers auxillary benefits.

JIM WILSON (Jim_wilson49230)
Username: Jim_wilson49230

Post Number: 1

Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 4:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WELL I HAD A FULL LEFT HIP REPLACEMENT AND NOW BEING A EQUIPMENT OPERATOR NO ONE WILL TAKE ME OBN BECAUSE OF INSURANCE AND LIABILITY ISSUES SHOULD I APPLY FOR BENIFITS.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1132

Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 9:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jim: Some people with replaced hips can work, and some cannot. You need to tell me your age, education, work experience, and the exact things that you can and cannot do, and why.

Anonymous

Posted on Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 12:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a disk rupture I want to know If qualify for dissability. I do not worked after the injury at the work.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1130

Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 9:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous: Some people with ruptured disks can work, and some cannot. You need to tell me your age, education, work experience, and the exact things that you can and cannot do, and why.

Dottie Wein (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 4:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am a 52 yr. old female. I have severe arthritis in both hands. For 25 yrs I worked on a computer for 8 plus hrs. a day. My fingers are deformed and I am in much pain. I take meds but they don't really take the pain away. I no longer can use my hands as I once did. I now drop things more often and have lost so much mobility.I stand by a door for 8 hrs. a day using a clicker to count how many people come into the business. I find at the end of the day my fingers are so stiff and painful I can hardly strech them out.I no longer do many of the things I used to do because it seems my fingers will not move at times.Does my condition qualify me for permanent disability.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1125

Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 9:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dottie: If you can use your hands for neither gross nor fine manipulation on at least an occasional basis, or if you are distracted by pain, you are disabled. That leaves proving it and waiting out the decision, so be careful. Hesitate before leaving and plan your leavetaking carefully; there is a lot on the site about how to do that.

Dorene Morrow (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)delphy download

Posted on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 3:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I am in Houston Texas.I just applied for ssi it was the hardest thing I ever did.I was born with a club foot and even though I had several sirgery and walk with a limpI never let it stop me.I was in Retail all my life.I am now 52 years of age and I cant more than 20 min at time i can barely walk and if i take 6 advil a day it still doesnt styop the pain I am working pt as a clerk and i have to drag my leg and get help to get my car after a 4 hr shift.I also recetly got diagnoised with bi polar and post tramatic stress syndrom from the rape and incest and abuse i endured.i am still raseing a 16 yr old son and honestly to say or admit i cant do this any more and to say i was handicap was a big nightmare but i did it and now am waiting the results. i have a 9 grade education and got very limit skills.Do you think i have a chance but most important did i do the right thing. the councleor said i qualifed for ssi and social secruity disabilty

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1317

Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 12:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Q. Do you think i have a chance

A. Certainly you do.

Q. but most important did i do the right thing.

A. If you can work without injuring yourself, you should do so. If you cannot work, you should file. That is right for you and for those who depend on you.

Lora mcgee (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 12:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Paul,I wrote you on 5-2004 post 731 you stated you needed more info.my age is 50,I finished the 12th grade,And i did work for Rexel selling electrical parts for 14 years.Two months before my surgery,they gave me a year review and moved me down from manager to delivery boy and cut my pay.Every line on my performance review was really bad,mostly due to my condition .Since my last surgery I have not been able to walk without a cane,cannot sit on my hip for long periods of time,I wake up unrested becaus of trouble sleeping with numbness in both hands and tingling.Just had A steriod shot in my left elbo.Pain limits me from doing hardy anything i used to do.My doctor now says i have A nerve problem in my back causing some pain in my hip.He want to put a cordozone shot in the nerve but I no longer have health ins. that would cover this. Thanks very much for answering me the first time.Hope you can add more of an answer with this info.I am still out of work on Drs. orders.Dennis McGee

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1409

Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 6:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dennis: You have good work skills, so you will probably have to show that you cannot attend work on a predictable basis. If you can do that you have a shot at it. Be sure your doctors are lined up behind you, get your medicals, and sit down with them and talk to an attorney. Take care and good luck.

Debra Cutshaw (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 11:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Paul, I am a 48; always been able to take care of myself never relied on anyone for help! 5 years ago started with pain inner legs, bad circulation and tingling in both feet,and is up to my hips and sometimes throught whole body. smallest things like getting in and out of a bath are awfull.Had several tests,Seen arthuritis Dr. Diganosed with fybromyalgia. Can't do things like before because of the pain, stiffness,swelling,and numbness. Arm was put in sling, because of terrible pain could not move it.Went to emergency room!Had exrays taken of swelling & inflamation. Was not from injury. Went for MRI, Then diganoised with degenerative bone desease, which DR. said most likely misdiganoised from begining. lost use of my other arm a week and a half after the 1st got better. lost all us of my one thumb, also getting crooked, pain is unbearable most of the time,and I always look forward to someone helping in and out of the bath every morning!!!. Im scared, hurting, and depressed.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1407

Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 6:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Debra: I don't understand exactly what your underlying problem is, but as long as your doctor does, and can explain it, and can show that you can't attend work you have a shot at it. Be sure your doctor is on your side, get your medical records, and sit down and talk to a lawyer who does a lot of this sort of work. Take care and good luck.

Robert Weyant (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 7:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, I am a 52 year old man and I am a truck driver/dock worker.I had two surgery,s on my knee due to injuries and arthritis.I had a total knee replacement and I have been out of work since March.I still have some pain and have a difficult time going up and down stairs.The work that I do requires me to do heavy lifting and can be very physicaly demanding.I have no other skills other than what I have been doing for the past 33 years. Do I have a chance at getting total disability?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1406

Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 6:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert: You have a shot at it. The fact that you are 50 and have done manual work helps. If you can show that you cannot do your old job, that you have no transferrable skills, and that you are limited to sedentary work, including a lifting limitations of 10 pounds. Be sure your doctors are behind you and talk to a lawyer before you quit work. Take care.

Anonymous

Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 7:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am a 32 yr old female, who has had back pain 2plus years (I can not stand for long periods)and carpal tunnel in both hands, about 2mo's ago I developed numbness,weakness and severe pain in my left arm and hand, nerologist dx'd this as cervcial radiculopathy -dengenerative disc disease(moderate to severe) with multi osteophytes,(MRI Cspine) she also informed me that my back pain was more than likely related- she suggested physcial therapy and surgery- I have a college degree and write,type, and sit all day and I am in severe pain- my dr also stated that she does not think it will get better and because of the degeneration it will probably get worse, I am working now and taking the steriods she precribed (NOT HELPING) I am in constant pain just doing the remedial tasks at my job, typing is the worst! Should I be considering disabilty?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1405

Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 6:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous: With your excellent work skills you will have to show that you cannot attend work on a full 8 hour basis. Be sure your doctors back you up, line up long term disability insurance if possible, keep working if possible, but if you can't, sit down and talk to a lawyer before you lose your job rather than after. Take care and good luck.

Lou Ann McKinley (Anniem)
Username: Anniem

Post Number: 1

Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 12:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi - I'm a 55 yr old female Twp Assessor. I fell 13 mos. ago & shattered (3 pt fracture)my shoulder. I had a hemiarthroplasty 6/21/04. I could not move my arm & had much pain. Then I saw a orthopedic shoulder specialist-more surgery. The bone was still broken, prothesis too large and loose and much scar tissue. An EMG showed possible auxilary nerve damage. More surgery 3/14/05 - totally revision and removed the scar tissue. I can get some passive movement but not much. I can bend the elbow and use my hand - short periods of time. I returned to work after 11 1/2 mos but only 1/2 days. On 7/20/05 dr said he felt the bone still was not healing - a nonunion - listed impairment 1.07. I've been denied twice and ready to get a lawyer and apply for a hearing. I've done clerical work but now my arm hurts and I can only get through a couple of hrs working and then I just keep the office open a couple more hrs and go home. I can't reach for the calculator or computer mouse. I can't lift with my rt. arm. No one understands - I look normal - it's been 14+ months and I'm expected to be at work doing my job - gossip tongues are wagging since I'm elected. I receive my pay whether I work or not- I just have to make sure someone does the job & my family is helping. SS knows I'm not working for the pay and I have a time card to submit so they know the hrs I've worked. I can't think of anything else - any info would help. Thanks Annie

Lou Ann McKinley (Anniem)
Username: Anniem

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 4:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I forgot to mention that I live in Indiana and the arm I can no longer use is my right (dominant) arm.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1404

Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 5:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You need to get a lawyer. If you can prove that you can't really work full time, and that you are getting, in effect, a subsidy, you have a shot at a disability claim even though you are being handed a lot of money. But it is a tricky kind of claim to pursue, even if you have serious health problems, so you should get a good lawyer.

Take care.

Anonymous

Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 2:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi- I am a 49 year old male Correctional Officer.Last year I came down with a Staph Infection.Since then I have Had Six Outbreaks of the infection Two Requiring surgey In which the lastest Im still recovering from.Im taking sulfamethoxazole twice a day to surpress the staph.My Doctor has Recommended that I not return to work in Corrections because of my continual outbreaks of the staph and the severity that it effects my body in having to have surgey the last two incidents of the staph.The Doctor says that I will Always have the Staph and that I could continue to have outbreaks that require severe medical attention.Along with this Infections I am very tired most of the time and require a lot of rest and sleep not to mention that I can pass the infection to others.My Question to you is should I apply for disability Thanks for your answer in advance

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1567

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)delphy download

Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 6:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous: I am not wise enough to say. I do not know enough about the disease to have a good feel for its probable course, or what the judges would think about it. Get your medical records and sit down with a good Social Security lawyer.

You almost certainly should file if you are not in fact working.

Take care and good luck.

Pamela Kelley (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 3:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am a 53 year old female, 8 grade education (self educated) business office manager. I had a cervial fusion C5/6 in 1995 with complete pain relief , then fusion of C4/5 and C6/7 w/ plate and 3 screws on Aug 10, 2005. I have other disc problems, T and L spine because of disc degeneration,had Rotor cuff surgery Dec. 2003 frozen shoulder release in 3/04. Am having more pain now than before the surgery, problems getting up and down and pain if I sat for more than 30 minutes, no sleep, arm, shoulder pain. I asked my doctor about disabilty , his response was SS will just say you can do some other type of work and walked out the door.

Pamela kelley (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 3:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Con't
I also have a liver diease and mild COPD. I am taking 9 Rx a day not counting the pain medication for my back. I have just been Dx with clinical drepression.. I am at witts end, the pain, the drepression and have to return to work tomorrow. I will problemly have to quit before I am fired. Do people get disabilty from having multiple medical problems. I can not afford to quit my job and lose insurance but can not work in this condition... If anyone has had any situations like this, please share with me.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1566

Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 6:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ms. Kelley:

It is often true that surgeons think that surgery cures, when it in fact has not.

It is often true the your next doctor, a physiatrist, that is, a doctor who takes care of people after the surgeons have done all they can, understands that this is not so. Now, while you have health insurance, get to a good and sympathetic doc. How to find one? I would ask a SS lawyer in your town; he will know who has empathy and who does not. Do this quickly!

If you can, you might have to crawl back to work until you can get lined up with a doc who will help you.

I pray you have long term disability insurance.

Get a lawyer involved in your case right away, since you are at such a tricky spot.

You can rock through life for 5 or 10 years and never have to make a big decision, and then go through a few weeks where you have to make a bunch of them, decisions that will mean the difference between misery and a reasonable degree of security. You are in one of those times now, manager; manage accordingly.

Anonymous

Posted on Friday, September 16, 2005 - 2:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i am a 49 yr old female with scoliosis. i had a harrington rod placement in 1971 at the age of 15. at the time of placement i had a 60 degree curve. i was diagnosed at an early age maybe even present since birth. i have several members of my family that had sever scoliosis. over the years my curve has become progressively worse. there are a couple of areas that looks like the clips are going to poke out of my skin. i have constant lower and upper back pain, but the neck pain is the worst. i have little rage of motion in my neck. i have hip and leg pain. i can not sit or stand for any lenght of time. sleeping is major problem. there is little i can do to get comfortable enough to sleep. i quit taking pain meds except over the counter. they really did not control the pain and only made me useless. the pain is becoming just nearly more than i can take. i am fixing to file for dissablity. what do you think my chances are and do i need to hire an attorney?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1565

Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 6:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous:

If you can prove that you cannot persist at work, you should win your case. But you must have doctors backing you up, and you improve your chances if you get an attorney who makes sure that you have all the proof you need. Take care.

Anonymous

Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 6:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

greetings. i am a 54yrold male, who has worked on ships and barges for over 25 years. 6 months ago i had a severe pain in my left knee. was diagnosed with grade 4 chondromalacia patellae of the patellar facet and marrow edema in the anterior portion of the lateral femoral condyle, along with an area of early osteonecrosis.

the dr. said it was caused by repetitive trauma, the constant climbing of ship stairs, walking on steel decks ect, and the day i had the pain was when it manifested. i also have simular pain in my right knee.

i had chondroplasty on the left knee, and during the procedure, it was discovered that the knee cap had wore a hole in my lower leg bone.

i am now in therapy 3 months, and was told it will be another 6 months or so, and that i will never be able to return to my old job, which is the only thing i know.

would i be able to claim ssd, and what percent? as i can not bend or climb stairs.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1563

Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 6:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

At 54, if all you have done is heavy work and you are now limited to sedentary work, you have a good chance. You should file, and if you are denied, get an attorney.

You should also consider filing for long term disability, short term disability, and for some special claims that only seamen can file for - you should talk to a lawyer who has a lot of experience in Admiralty type law; you can only find such lawyers in the big port cities.

Take care and good luck.

MRP (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 2:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My mother 55yrs old in Califoria is/has worked in a factory for aprx.16yrs as a sheet metal worker. This is the only job she has ever held and has no other skills. She stands all days in the same location doing the same repetitive moments. The pain is in her feet and hands. For the past few years she's been in pain and now seeing a Dr. for medication to manage the pain as he stated there's no fix. She is in pain during the day at work and at home. I see her strugling to move her self around the house. I'm concern because she works with heavy machinery and I believe this to also be a safety issue. I would like to help her in seeking help, but don't know if this is Workers Comp/SSDisability (Permanent)? Would you also advice of an attoreny Fairfield, CA. Thank you

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1153

Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 9:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MRP, I would make sure she buys all the LTD insurance that she can, that she gets her doctors lined up behind her, and that she get a copy of her medicals and sit down with a lawyer who has a lot of experience with this sort of case. I will email you some suggestions as to a lawyer out there.

anniemckinley (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 10:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Paul this is Annie. I posted July '05. I'm the Twp. Assessor getting paid but not able to work. I tried returning my salary but was told as an elected official I could not return it. I haven't resigned yet because with help from my deputies and family the job is being done. My term expires 12/06 & needless to say I won't be running again so the income will stop. I have an attorney and my hearing is scheduled for this May. When we applied for a hearing we requested that 2 specialists be present - a doctor and a professional job or placement specialist. When notified of the hearing my lawyer said no specialists would be present. Am I right - this means the judge has to rely on the professional opinions from my 2 doctors and the judge has no professional to dispute the doctors' authority is stating that I am truly disabled and their opinion as to why?

anniemckinley (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 10:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My lawyer also said that I got the worse judge in Indiana. He said that the judge will act sympathetic but in other cases he comes in with his preconcieved idea and doesn't "listen". Also should I be approved, will I get back pay - considering that I've received a salary even though I've been unable to work. Also - we have a son with Downs syndrome that received the full SSI benefit of $603 per month. Will his income increase because of my SSDI? Will my husband that has to now care for our handicapped son receive anything? Our son is 34. My husband is 58 and took early retirement from GM but does not receive social security yet.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1154

Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 4:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Q. Am I right - this means the judge has to rely on the professional opinions from my 2 doctors and the judge has no professional to dispute the doctors' authority is stating that I am truly disabled and their opinion as to why?

A. As I am sure your lawyer explained to you, the fact that all doctors are helpful helps a lot, but, depending on what the exact facts are, there might be a few ways a judge can get around that following the law, and there certainly are many ways he can get around that if he chooses to ignore the law. If the latter, you can appeal.

Q. Will [my son's] income increase because of my SSDI? Our son is 34.

A. He might get a child's check off of your record if you win, provided that he has been disabled since age 22, which I assume he has. It would be at half your benefit rate, but all beneficiaries under your record could not get more than your "family maximum." If he gets this and it is larger than $623, that would cut off his SSI check; at lower levels it would reduce it.

Q. Will my husband that has to now care for our handicapped son receive anything?

A. Possibly a father's check, again subject to the family maximum.

Annie McKinley (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 11:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Paul - It's Annie again. My hearing is coming on Friday, May 19th. I still have not had a meeting with my attorney except the initial meeting a year ago. We drove to Indy(50 mi) for a meeting and to go through the SS file this week. The secy. gave us the file and we started going through it. About 10 min later the lawyer came out and said he wouldn't be here when we were done. He said he would call & we could go through things on the phone. You mentioned above that "I'm sure you lawyer explained to you.." but actually he has explained nothing to me. My thinking is I probably will not get the back pay (& shouldn't) because I'm drawing the subsidy from the county even though I'm not working. If I don't get back pay the lawyer does not get paid. I did offer to pay him because no one should work for nothing.

Annie McKinley (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 11:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

cont. post from Annie: The lawyer said not getting paid was his motivation to get the back
pay for me. Should I be worried? When I went through the SS file I noticed that they had me down for 3 yrs. college. AFter high school I went to a tech. school for computer programming in'69. Nothing I learned is relevant in todays world. The lawyer said SS doesn't look at that. I'm in so much pain & feel so worthless - even if I receive the SSDI it will be hard to face my tomorrows. If I loose I'm not sure I'm strong enough to hang in there.

annie mckinley (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 12:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Paul - I lost. No more posts from me I'm giving up on the system.

MaggieKennedy (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 11:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have breast cancer which is in remission, asthma which is triggered by perfume, scents from household cleaning products and just about everything that grows outside. Arthritis in both knees, I have to use a armed chair to help me stand up. I have permanent tubes in my eyes bypassing my closed tear ducts. I take meds for all the above and for depression. I am 55, morbidly obese. I've been on disability for 3 yrs. I am going through a review and wondered what you thought my chances were of remaining on SSD?

delphy download
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out  
delphy download
This site is maintained by Paul McChesney, an attorney who has been practicing disability law for around 25 years in North and South Carolina.

If the subject of disability is important to you, or if you want to find out more about us, you should explore the rest of this site. To do so, go to our homepage, Carolina-disability.com.

Please don't take anything on this site as legal advice! Nor should you take any action, or fail to take any action, based on any communication provided through this site. Before doing that, it would be wise to sit down and talk to an attorney in his or her office. Please also see our disclaimer at this link: Disclaimer. We want to be as helpful as we can be on a website; please thank us by doing this.