Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Fibromyalgia
sammy humax edit
Social-Security-Disability-Forum » Fibromyalgia  

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Fibromyalgiajeri williford 4-06-06  10:22 pm
  Start New Thread        
sammy humax edit

sammy humax edit
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Greg Crawford

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)sammy humax edit

Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 11:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am a 48 year old male with a history of medical problems. I recently saw a rheumatologist who make the following diagnosis:

osteoarthritis (hands)
heel pain syndrome (6 years of treatment including injections and surgery)
chronic diffuse myofascial psin/chronic pain disorder
"fibromyaligia-like" process
chronic TMD (23 years)
hypertension
hyperlipidema
acid-reflux
non-restorative sleep

Do you think I have a chance for SSDI? I have been unable to work for the last 2.5 years. I had been employed for 11 years with the same company before I went on STD to have my heel treated. (Now both of my heels hurt)

Thanks For Any Help,

Greg

Reply by Paul Several things that might be helpful to you and others with fibromyalgia type problems:

Yes you have a chance at a disability claim.

There are a class of impairments, including fibromyalgia, that depend to a greater extent than others on the subjective complaints of the disabled person. A judge cannot claim that someone does not have a shattered femur, but he or she has a better chance of claiming that you don't
hurt as much as you say.

Some doctors and some judges are hostile to such claims.

Claims based on subjective symptoms must be handled more carefully than any other sort. Line up your doctors, and get a good lawyer early.

If you have no clerical skills, it is easier to get disability once you are 50. But don't wait! You should be either working, or pursuing a disability claim. If you wait too long your eligibility might expire.

Debra Hadley

Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 2:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am 44 yrs. old and have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. I have a job but I often miss alot of work because of it. Sometimes in the morning I cannot get out of bed because the pain is so severe. I have been to a Rheumatologist, a Neurologist who has given me so many medications ( some of them I can't even drive with). My question is should I wait to lose my job because I know that's what's going to happen eventually. I spoke to my Doctor about putting me out of work, but he says he does not do that for his patients. Please can you help me. I feel as though my Doctor does not care neither does my job and I feel like I'm in a constant struggle just to cope with the pain, Sometimes the pain is so severe It brings depression. I don;t know what else to do please help me. Thanks

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 10:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fibromyalgia involves a special kind of disability claim that calls for extra care in handling. This is because for most fibromyalgia sufferers, there is no test that tells whether you have the disease, nor its severity. So, often you is uncertain, right up to the hearing, as to whether or not you are going to be successful. These are the suggestions I have for people who are suffering from this disease and thinking about disability.

-Choose your doctor carefully. Some believe in lots of strong medicines; others say the medicines themselves can be the biggest problem. I am not about to choose sides in this argument.

-Choose your doctor carefully. If your treating doctor will not say you are disabled, winning this kind of claim is going to be difficult. Ideally, as the case is coming up for a hearing, you want all doctors to be saying that you are disabled.

-If you are working, be sure you have as much long term and short term disability insurance as possible, and get rid of luxuries and save money. You must have as many nets under you as possible. Several, or all, might not work. Social Security is only one of them.

-Do not give up a job lightly. It might be your last.

-If you miss a little work, preferably after you are sure your doctors are behind you, perhaps file, since it can take a year and a half or more to get to a hearing in a Social Security disability case. Then, if you are able, go back to work and keep your case going, too. This can make a mess, but it can also save you.

-Get a lawyer early in this type of case; do not try to do it on your own, and be sure the two of you check with each other every 3 months or so to be certain you are on track.

-Depression is often an important part of a fibromyalgia case. Oddly enough, the depression, which is psychological, can often be quantified by testing easier than the fibromyalgia, which is physical.

-It is difficult to get a judge to take depression seriously unless your are going to a doctor, preferably a psychiatrist, or mental health as a poor second choice.

SISTAKOOT

Posted on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 6:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have recently been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia by Rheumatologist at N.I.H. Also my private Rheumatologist dx'd me about 2 years ago. I also have cervical disk disease (discectomy in '96) I get flare ups of pinced nerve in neck and lumbar spine very frequently now. I have carpal tunnel in right hand and DeQuervain's tendonitis in both thumbs and nerve entrapment in both elbows. I have Diabetes, Mitral Valve Regurgitation, arthritis in my left foot and bone spurs in both knees and neck. I type all day. Now using a mouse. I can't sit for more than 15 minutes and when I walk I have foot pain. My hands now are getting numb and the fingers get stiff and my arms ache after typing for 14 minutes. My Occupational Therapist ordered me to rest 10 minutes out of every hour by lying down! How can I do that on the job? I don't know what to do but I have been missing a lot of time aat work due to neck and back pain and fatigue. Do you think I can get SS disability? Help!! CChen in MD

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 4:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, if you prove it. No vocational expert will say that you can work if you have to lie down much during the work day, and the other things are bad problems, too.

Your claim might go through the first time on your own; or you can play it a little safer and get an attorney. Certainly do so if you are denied.

Take care; good luck.

Marsha Mackey (Cluelessmack)
Username: Cluelessmack

Post Number: 1

Posted on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 9:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am 29 years old and have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia by 2 neurologist, 1 reumatologist, 1 internest, and 1 family doctor. My reumatologist and internist are going to write a letter on my behalf for disability. I also have Thyroid disease, blood disorder (ITP), arrethymia, depression, I break out in hives everyday for no known reason, arthritis in my hands and knees, chronic fatique, I have trouble moving around and getting up in the morning. I am in constent pain. I have trouble sleeping which causes me to be tired through out the day. also have IBS with constipation. I cannot use the bathroom on my own. The Doctors also said that they would sign for me to get a handicap tag for my vehicle. I have not tried to file yet, but I'm going to try this week. Do I have A chance to get it on the first try? or do I neet a lawyer to assist me? How much will an attorney fee be? Or will the SSI take care of it? Thank You

Marsha Mackey (Cluelessmack)
Username: Cluelessmack

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 7:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Paul, I have alot of disabilities such as severe fibromyalgia, thyroid disease, blood disorder (ITP), Gerd, IBS unable to have a bowel movemenet on my own, Hives everyday, High cholesterol, abnormal heart rytheam, deppression, anxitey, sleep disorder. cant stand or sit for long periods of time, I am currently taking 12 medications for the problems I have. I'm in constant pain. I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia by 2 neuorologist, 1 internist, 1 family doctor, and 1 reumotoligist. My reumotologist and internist said that they would write on my behalf for disability and a handicap sticker. I also have trouble with swelling in my hand and feet. They also go numb as well as my face. How hard do you think it will be to try to get disability. You see I'm only 29 and I'm a little imbarrased about going to try. I've had most of these problems for over four years. Do you Have any advice for me It would be greatly appreciated. I live in Cheraw South Carolina. Thanks so Much Marsha

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 769

Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 6:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Marsha, if your condition is so severe that you cannot even attend work, and if you can prove it, you have a chance at a Social Security claim. Of course you should work if at all possible, but if you cannot you should file. Depending on circumstances you cannot control, Social Security might turn out to be the only possible source of income for you.

It is harder to win a case if you are young, but young people do win cases.
It is harder to be sure that you will win your case if you have certain conditions, such as fibromyalgia, that are difficult to measure, but fibromyalgia cases can be won.
It helps a lot to have several doctors saying you are disabled.
In light of all factors, I would go ahead and get a lawyer.

Kathy Davis
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 3:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was diagnosed 10 yrs ago with Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue by my Rheumatologist whom I see every 3 mos for injections in most painful trigger areas just to be able to keep walking and moving neck, arms and back. I also have ventricular tachycardia, syncope, IBS with spastic colon, chronic diarrhea, Chronic Insterstial Cystitis (no control of my bladder as the Emiron does not agree with me and I can not take it), carpal tunnel in both wrists, migraine disease, myalgia and myositis, neuropathy both legs, GERD, hiatal hernia, asophageal spasms, abnormal unexplained weight loss, depression and anxiety. I am under the routine care of a neurologist, a rheumatologist, a cardiologist, a surgeon, a gastroenterologist, a urologist, and a gynecologist. I am 55 yrs old and I left my position September 1 yr ago because I could no longer keep pushing myself to keep up the hours and the stress in my work. I filed a claim for diabaility benefits in April, 2004. I received a denial of benefits approximately 2 weeks ago. While they admit I can never do my job again and they outline numerous limitations in the denial, they say I can do unskilled work. I haven't been able to do my own housework for the last 5 to 6yrs and told them plus many other things I can no longer do I was once able to do. Some days I' fortunate to be able to dress myself and get from the bedroom to the kitchen. My doctors are supportive of my disability especially by Rheumatologist. Should I appeal my denial?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 897

Posted on Friday, November 19, 2004 - 6:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes. Hire an attorney and she will almost certainly make a copy of the file and maybe you can see there what went wrong; surely the problems you have cannot be detailed fully in the record, or perhaps there are some bad doctor's reports in with the good. Be sure to appeal in time, and be sure you can prove you appealed.

Sharon Bouldin (Sdbouldin)
Username: Sdbouldin

Post Number: 1

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)sammy humax edit

Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 11:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia about six months ago and I found out from my rheumatologist that I have had FMS for at least 5 years. I was being treated all that time at my local Mental Health Department. The doctor there always told me that I had depression and anxiety. He never addressed my complaints of constant pain, fatigue, sleep disorders....all symptoms of FMS. I cannot sit at my computer more than 15 minutes without having horrible pain in my neck and shoulders. I cannot raise either of my arms above my shoulders. I cannot even take out bags of trash or do housework without stopping several times. I cannot even consider doing any kind of light yardwork. I applied for Social Security Disability in August of 2004. I was denied on 12/6/04. I called Social Security and told them that I wanted to appeal their decision and desired to hire an attorney to represent me. They gave me a attorney referral 800 number. I called that number and found out they have NO REFERRALS for my area. I live in the Outer Banks. My reason for contacting you is: I am 52 years old, have not worked since December of 2003, I was laid off because I could not perform my work and often had to call in sick because I could not get out of bed due to pain, I cannot find a local attorney to represent me and I cannot drive very far due to my illness. I am scared that I will not be able to find representation and my 60 days to appeal the denial is running out. I don't know how to "document" with Social Security that I want to appeal. Please help me. Thank you, Sharon

Amber Denise
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 8:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I am only 27 years old. I am suffering from sleep disorders and depression. I have a very hard time concentrationg on anything. I have severe pain in my upper back and shoulders, that makes it very hard for me to do even the simplist things, like brushing out my daughters hair. Any action I do that requires me to hold my arms out away from my body gives me terrible pain. I experience ringing in my ears and get dizzy and have even passed out from this on several occasions from standing in one spot for a short amount of time. Sitting makes me have terrible burning pain up and down my spine especially in my upper back. My pain affects everything I do. I can't even keep up with cleaning my house without having to go lay down to rest my back. I got married and had kids at a very young age and I have been a stay at home mother for the last 10 years. I have had a few jobs but I only keep them for about 6 to 8 months. Now my problem has gotten so much worse, I know I could not hold onto a job. Do you think I have any chance of getting disability. Thank You.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1000

Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 9:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, maybe, but you have probably not worked enough to get Social Security bility. Since you are under 30, you would have to show that you had earned two credits for each year since you turned 21, roughly. I guess you cannot do that.

For SSI your household must have an income below a certain amount. If you are not sure, file a claim and get a good attorney to file a claim if you are denied.

If you were to get coverage, of course as is discussed above in prior posts, you need to have a little luck and a very good doctor to win a fibromyalgia case, but it can be done.

It is a long shot, but if you make a little money in each of 5 years, you might get into coverage. It is often true that someone who could not handle a "real job" could earn enough to get the needed credits. Think seriously about doing this.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1001

Posted on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 5:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sharon, please see my page explaining how to find a lawyer. Take care and good luck.

Anonymous

Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 10:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am 38 years old and I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, carpulturnal syndrom, osteoarthritis, IBS(w/dirahhea) and I am taking welbutrin for anxiety problems. I worked in a mill for 17 years and was terminated for too many absences due to my condition. I have alot of problems with back and shoulder pain and pain throughout my body. My memory is not as good as it once was. I cannot handle alot of heavy lifting, stand for long amounts of time or sit a a computer for long amounts of time because of I will be in alot of pain and I also tire very easily. Would I be a good canidate for disability?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1121

Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 9:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe. You have to be able to make it through a full 8 hour day in order to work.

But you also have to prove you are so limited, and that is sometimes difficult.

In fibromyalgia claims in particular, I suggest hiring a lawyer early, because they must be so carefully developed.

Mia Bonner (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 12:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My 34-year-old friend's been disabled, going through this process 4 yrs. Has Medicaid, food stamps, but depends on others for shelter. Sees many specialists. Always in bed, in pain, not sleeping. Taking >20 meds. Dazed.

Started w/ botched back surgery. Now fibromyalgia/CFS, deQuervain's, carpal tunnel, diabetes, hypertension, arthritis, now obese, Sjogren's, wounds won't heal. Major depression.

How can one work when they can't bathe or dress & not wipe out? My friend looks old. Can't sit, stand, lie down for long. Blood sugar, BP all over. Driving, operating machinery too dangerous. Rheumatologist suspecting Cushing's.

SSA denials say age a factor. Why, when ailments are like someone twice as old? I believe my friend had chance of getting better if she'd gotten disability sooner. I fear suicide, tried once. She feels useless, burdensome, tired of hurting, thinking of life w/no help, hope. What to do?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1120

Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 9:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

She sounds disabled to me, of course. I cannot tell where in the process she is, and I cannot tell what her medical records say; sometimes a person's true conditions are not shown on the medical record, and that is the problem.

She needs to hire a good lawyer and go over the medical records with him and make a plan.

Take care of her. Don't despair. If you will go to the main topics page, there are some topics about how to speed things up and how to avoid despair. I will not say that they are great suggestions, but they are all I know about those two problems.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1163

Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 5:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here are some good fibromyalgia links, taken from Google Answers:

The Fibromyalgia Personal Support Center
http://fmpsc.org/
The Discussion Wall
http://fmpsc.org/wall/discussion.html

eFibro.com
http://www.efibro.com/
“A place for those with fibromyalgia to share their thoughts and
experiences regarding the living with and dealing with this disease.”

Fibrohugs Fibromyalgia
http://www.fibrohugs.com/
“Our friendly and supportive place is where sufferers of
Fibromyalgia, their families and friends, can come for tough love,
gentle hugs, and lifelong friendships. You will learn about
Fibromyalgia, and ways we can help ourselves to fight this horrid
disease. You'll find many supportive people on our Message Forums with
whom you can ask questions, talk about problems, or just have a
friendly shoulder to cry on.”

Fibromyalgia Support
http://www.fibromyalgiasupport.com/
“World’s largest Fibromyalgia Site.”
Includes chat room and message boards

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia Information Exchange Forum
http://www.co-cure.org/index.htm
Chock full of information and links
Message board
http://co-cure.org/wwwboard/

The Fibromyalgia Community
http://fmscommunity.org/index.htm
Support group links
http://fmscommunity.org/sptgrp.htm

Fibromyalgia Support Groups Directory
http://www.theriver.com/Public/cfids/usspt.htm
Includes links to support groups by state.

National Fibromyalgia Association
http://www.fmaware.org/

Noah Health
http://www.noah-health.org/english/illness/neuro/cfs.html
Ask NOAH About: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia
Scroll halfway down page for the start of the fibromyalgia links

Yahoo Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/M_E_/
“This group is for people with M.E./CFS/CFIDS and FMS, it is a
self-help support group for people with these conditions. Members can
share information on their personal experiences, relate to others,
make new friends, share their recommended treatments and non
recommended treatments, share photographs, post messages on the
message board.”

FMS–CHAT Fibromyalgia Chat Group
http://www.lclark.edu/~sherrons/supportgroups.htm
“The FMS–CHAT support group, for persons with fibromyalgia syndrome
(FMS), has a very active, informed membership. Issues frequently
discussed are medications, alternative therapies, and applying for
Disability (social security, insurance, etc.).
Despite its name, this is not really a "chat room," but rather a
listserv conducted via email. Before joining this listserv, recognize
that members receive a high volume of mail, sometimes as many as 300
messages a day."

The Fibro Page from She Who Watches and Waits
http://members.tripod.com/~Mamajaz/windancr/s-fibro.html

An extensive list of links concerning Fibromyalgia may be found at:
Found Health
http://www.foundhealth.com/Health/Conditions_and_Diseases/F/Fibromyalgia/
The Google Fibromyalgia Directory
http://directory.google.com/Top/Health/Conditions_and_Diseases/Musculoskeletal_D isorders/Connective_Tissue/Fibromyalgia/Support_Groups/

Jamie (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 4:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am 25 yrs old and have been sick and worsening(fatigue, chronic pain, fibro flare/fog, etc.) for over a year. I was diagnosed just a few months ago with fibromyalgia. This is a highly disputed condition but from a person dealing with its' very real neurological impairments are making it extremely hard to live and function as even half a person. I am currently working at a great employer but feel like I am killing myself.I have two young children that I have a hard time taking care of also. I am still searching for a great medical team but currently there is not alot of people out there that even know about my condition. I was going to school part time and working fulltime when I got sick. I had to drop out of school when I got sick. I have to work or lose my house and medical benefits. I am exploring options, I never knew that disability was available to my age group. Please help! I live in michigan and not sure how the law differ from yours???

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1168

Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 7:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gather all your medicals if you can and sit down and talk to a good lawyer. Think a long time before letting go a job. Be sure your doctor is backing you up before you start. Try to come up with a financial plan to survive the long wait. Get Long Term Disability insurance if possible.

Beth Beheler (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 3:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello.....I am Beth, a 44 year old registered nurse(4 total years of college) who was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in 1995(though symptoms began in 1991); also the seemingly common problems of non-restorative sleep disorder, fatigue, irritable bowel syndrome, confusion, and memory loss. Over the years the disease has gradually gotten worse; I have now lost 3 jobs and had to quit 3 others in a 12 month period, as the pain is so severe, I can't stand long enough to shower or dress. One day I forced myself to work, and in my fog had a car accident on the way home. I get confused and transpose numbers quite often-----NOT a good thing, and my concentration is worse than my son, who had ADHD.If I hold objects, like pens, for long, my hands start to ache, then go numb. I get clumsy and often drop things or fall.

Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 3:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beth, part 2...I can't stay in one position for long, and if I actually pull a muscle, the pain is so bad that I must stay in bed, with help to get to the bathroom and do basic things for me, like grooming. I can't lift without getting shaky and dropping the object, or pulling a muscle, or both. I can't sit at a computer for long because my neck and arms get so stiff and sore. If I kneel or squat down, someone has to help me up, and I can only do the lightest of household chores. Pain rambles at will through my body, leaving me depressed and anxious, not to mention out of control. When I am able to work, I go so slowly to avoid the confusion/brain fog from causing mistakes that I might as well not be there.....and if I might harm a patient, as a professional, my ethics will not allow such a situation.

Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 3:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beth, final post!...Yet, I'm without a job and far from retirement age. My entire family thinks I'm a flake because until I learned to say "I'll be there IF I can", I was constantly having to cancel things. Now I take each day as it comes. Is there any basis for me to get disability? I live in the Raliegh, NC area. Sorry for the long message; thanks for listening.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1164

Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 6:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fibromyalgia can be the basis of a disability claim, and if there are long periods during an 8 hour day during which you cannot perform basic work functions, you are disabled.

Often, the tricky part of fibromyalgia claims is proving that you have fibromyalgia and proving that it is severe enough to prohibit work. For that, you need both a good doctor and a good lawyer. Because these claims are so tricky to document, you need to hire both early.

Vicky in PA (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 5:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Paul, I am 46 years old and have had fibromyalgia symptoms since early 1980's but actual diagnosis wasn't until 1996. I have worked with pain and discomfort until May 19, 2004. At this time I took a leave of absence to try to combat the problems. Over a year later I am still not working. My employer let me go when I told him that I could not return when the leave ended. I applied for disability in Sept. of 2004. I have an excellent dr. and atty. that are backing me up and I am currently awaiting a hearing. My question is the differences in laws between Pennsylvania and North Carolina, as I am planning to relocate, hopefully, upon approval. Thank you.

ANTOINIQUE (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 12:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I AM A 34 YR. OLD FEMALE WHO HAS BEEN UNABLE TO KEEP A STEADY JOB, BECAUSE I WAS FINALLY DIAGNOSED WITH FIBROMYALGIA. AFTER SO MANY YEARS OF LIVING IN CHRONIC PAIN SINCE THE AGE OF ABOUT 18 YRS.OLD.MY QUESTION IS WHY AM I NOT ELIGIBLE FOR DISABILITY BENEFITS WHEN I CAN'T LIVE A NORMAL LIFE OR WORK A JOB?CAN YOU PLEASE HELP ME TO BETTER UNDERSTAND WHY THIS REASON IS WHEN MY PHYSCIAN RECOMMENDED ME TO GO THROUGH THE PROCESS OF EVEN APPLYING FOR SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFITS.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1374

Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 11:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you can prove you cannot attend work on a predictable basis, you should get benefits. The problem with fibromyalgia is that it is very difficult to quantify exactly how impaired you are, which sometimes leaves room for a judge to deny someone who is actually disabled.

But not always. If your problem is fibromyalgia, you need to get a good doctor, a good lawyer, and be prepared to appeal a lot.

I am sorry you are having so much problems. Take care.

Judith A Brigman (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have Fibro/diagnosed by a Rheum.& Family Dr.-Degenerative Arthritis, Fibro,TMJ,Migraines,IBS,Chronic Fatique,butterfly rash on my face, but they say I don't have lupus, Worked in a metal stampling plant for 13 yrs, alot of physical repetive heavy lifting 10 hrs 6-days. Have moderate-severe carpa tunnel I have been denied 3 times for disa. Fatique problems since 1995, but always worked. I had my son @ 40, I went back to work when he was 6 mo. old,and worked with the fatigue.I was laid off in Mar of 01, collected unemployment. In 2002, Invasive Cervical Cancer St1B, I had a radical hysterctomy, after the surgery I started going on job interviews then I got sick in November 02. Diagnosed w/Fibro and ever since I have not gotten better,My Dr mentioned disability but I didn't want to pursue it. After a few mnths I did't get better so filed in Dec.of 2003.Someday soon God promises ALL of our suffering will be GONE worldwide Rev.21:3,4 Ps.37:10,11,29

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1560

Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 5:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Judith:

Be sure you have doctors who are supporting you, and, if you are denied, hire an attorney. Take care and good luck.

Anonymous

Posted on Saturday, September 17, 2005 - 9:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am a 53yr old female who has worked at the same job for 31yr and I am physical getting so I cannot do it. I do ultrasounds that has caused carpal tunnel syndrone in which surgery has corrected but has come. I suffer for IBS, chronic fatigue, syjogrens disease, osteoarthritis, high blood pressure, high cholesterol. I am exhausted and in so much pain I can barely work an 8 hour shift. I was recently hositalized for chest pain, SOB and they think I have a blockage in my smaller veins in my heart which can't be fixed. There also a question as to if I have X syndrome. I can't stand or sit for very long and my eyes are so dry I can't use a computor for very long.I can't do my job and don't know which way to turn. My rheumotologists also thinks I have fibromyalgia. Should I apply for disability.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1558

Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 5:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous, it is always easy to say that you should file if you are not working; you have little to lose. Often, if you are missing work, you can file a claim when you are out and go back to work and try to keep your claim going. I have a topic about this if you want to try it.

If you are working and thinking about letting go, I almost always suggest getting your medicals together and sitting down with a good Social Security lawyer to talk; after that you are going to have to make some hard choices which will require careful thought. Take care.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1556

Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 5:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sure. Fibromyalgia is harder to prove than some other problems, though, so I would get a lawyer right now. Take care.

Anonymous

Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 8:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

if i applied for social security disability a few years back and was turned down and if i apply again and get approved,is it true that the social security pays back to the first time i applied or is that justwhat people tend to think

Anonymous

Rating: 
Votes: 2 (Vote!)sammy humax edit

Posted on Saturday, October 01, 2005 - 9:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have fibromyalgia,attheritis,depression and now my neurologist says i have corpal tunnel i was diagnosed in 1997 for everything but the corpal tunnel,that was just in the past couple of weeks,do you think i have a very good chance of getting aproved for disability

Anonymous

Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 7:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was told that I have bone Degenerative disease and that was after lower lumbar L4 and L5 fusion surgery in 2001. Now in less than a year I found out that I have fibromyalgia. I stop working in 2001. I was just denied by disability so what do I do next. Because I have the same problems just like everyone else. Sooooooooooo what do I do next?

Anonymous

Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 7:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am also 30 years old and a mother of 3 kids and a wife.

sammy humax edit
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out  
sammy humax edit
This site is maintained by Paul McChesney, an attorney who has been practicing disability law for around 25 years in North and South Carolina.

If the subject of disability is important to you, or if you want to find out more about us, you should explore the rest of this site. To do so, go to our homepage, Carolina-disability.com.

Please don't take anything on this site as legal advice! Nor should you take any action, or fail to take any action, based on any communication provided through this site. Before doing that, it would be wise to sit down and talk to an attorney in his or her office. Please also see our disclaimer at this link: Disclaimer. We want to be as helpful as we can be on a website; please thank us by doing this.