Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Diabetes
wc3 maps hack 1.20
Social-Security-Disability-Forum » Diabetes  

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        
wc3 maps hack 1.20

wc3 maps hack 1.20
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

chris jurado

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)wc3 maps hack 1.20

Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 5:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have insulin dependent diabetes. I am 52 years old and a professional musician. I have peripheral nueropathy on my left foot and hands and it impossible to stand and play the guitar any longer. question?? does my affliction qualify me for SSI payments i live in rural Wisconsin.
Thank you

Reply by Paul:
Yes, particularly at your age. Get a good lawyer. And keep your blood sugar levels down!!! You need those hands.

charles degree

Rating: 

Posted on Friday, August 17, 2001 - 3:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have type two Diabetes I take actos & glucotrol
for my diabetes I all so have asthma & high blood
I take medication can I get Disability.
can you email me back

Think you:

Reply by Paul It is hard to say based on what you tell me. I need to know your age, education, work experience, and the limitations your health conditions cause.

Don P

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)wc3 maps hack 1.20

Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 4:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I retired at age 49 after 27 as a police officer. I had planned to continued working, however diabetes has matured. I have gone blind in my right eye and recently had a double heart bypass. This along with other minor problems has shut the door for any law enforcement or security employment. I have tried several other fields to no avail. I have just been classified as disabled by the Veterans Administration also. Am I eligible for any S/S disibility benefit?

Reply by Paul Reply: You have a shot at it. I would consider filing if you cannot get work. I would need more details before I could give you your chances.

work experience (besides policeman)
limitations of function caused by conditions.
city
state.

Take care. good luck.

bobby toledo

Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2001 - 10:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i am a 46 y/0 firefighter. i am 3 months from completing my 25th year. i am insulin dependant diabetic with nueropathy to both legs. i also have peripheral vascular disease. i had a shunt placed in my left thigh one year ago. irecently began having breathing problems. i am awaiting test results but they believe i have a restrictive breathing problem. i also have chest pains but no known blockage. lately i have been very forgetful and am having problems concentrating . it could either be stressed related or a complication of my medical problems. i do not want to quit work but i think i am getting close to having to stop. i am on medical leave
now. do you think i have a good shot at ss disability to assist me financially if i am forced to retire. also should i consider getting an attorey. thanks, bobby

Reply by PaulYou might, depending on whether you look disabled on paper, in your doctor's medical reports.

I would sit down with an attorney right now while you are still working, to be sure I had a good chance before I quit.

Be sure you have bought all of the long term insurance, etc., that is available to you.

Could any of your impairements come from eating smoke from the fires you fought? If so, talk about a workers compensation claim, too. Be careful! These have a lot of deadlines, which vary from state to state.

wsmithministries

Posted on Monday, September 09, 2002 - 1:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In November of 1997 I filed for Social Security Disability and was denied in Jannary of 1998. I had ulcers on both of my great toes. I ended up going back to work two months later and in three weeks time my right great toe had blissered up so bad that when I did get in to see my doctor if was to late to save the toe and it was amputated. Anyway when I filed again due to the amputation Social Security Disability reopen my case and they told me that I shouldn't have been deined . What I need to know how did they list this case under 1.13. I've also been on disability for four years now and came up for a review in April. They are now saying that I'm not disabile anymore. Also during this four years or most of it anyway my diabetes has gotten worse. Along with the poor circulation in the legs and feet I also have neuropathy and my feet stays swollen for weeks and there is great pain once in awhile. In 2001 my body started having great pain but stopped. My hands and feet and legs hurt as well. Whats going on with these people. I had a reconsideration hearing in July and the things I told the hearing officer he turned most of the things I said around another way. Thanks

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Rating: 

Posted on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 5:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Walter, there is no listing 1.13; there is a listing 1.03, which provides that you are disabled if you have

1.03 Reconstructive surgery or surgical arthrodesis of a major weight-bearing joint, with inability to ambulate effectively, as defined in 1.00B2b, and return to effective ambulation did not occur, or is not expected to occur, within 12 months of onset.

This is probably the listing you have been found disabled under. If so, that would explain why they are reviewing you so soon: they assume that you have recovered and are weightbearing now.

You should get an attorney to represent you and argue that the other problems diabetes causes are disabling.

Take care and good luck.

KSKINN1

Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 4:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

what are the qualifications for sc disability and ssd

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 9:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do diabetic ulcer and retinaopathy qualify for sc state disability and or ssd? was the question set out in the title of the post by KSKINN1.

Diabetes, particularly type 1 diabetes, can be the basis of a Social Security disability claim. The fact that you are having ulcers and retinopathy suggest that the condition is reaching the point at which it might be disabling. Neuropathy, that is, lost sensation in the feet or hands is often disabling for these types of diabetics, as can be very high and very low blood sugars. Talk to an experienced attorney about your particular situation. Take care.

cornelia reid
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 3:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

please tell me more about the title 20 program where that a family member is paid to care for a elderly disabled parent.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 804

Posted on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 7:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I do not know about that program. If anyone does, please share that with us.

john tucker
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, September 08, 2004 - 7:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i am 44 years old, have a 9 grade ed.& was told i was a diabetic 10 years ago. my diabetes is 2.but it has goten worser.i am on 40un of ins.&8pills a day was let go off my job 1 year ago becouse i was unable to perform. could i get help. thank you.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 826

Posted on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 5:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I hope so. If you find you cannot work you should consider filing, and if you are not sure, you should sit down and talk with an attoreny who does a lot of disability work. It depends on what limitations the diabetes imposes on you.

Victoria
Unregistered guest

Rating: 

Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 6:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am posting about my fince....Jeff is 43, diabetic with high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Monday he worked 1 hour before returning home.....he works for the post office and could not read the addresses. I took him to an eye doctor and they informed us that he is below legally blind and started laser surgery that day. I don't know what to do, where to go or anything. He can't see to do anything for himself. I have to check his blood pressure, sugar levels, make sure his meds are where he can get them and not mix them up.

He doesn't have much sick leave or vacation time at work, he has 2 children by his ex that he pay child support on......help me please I don't know what to do......

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 892

Posted on Sunday, November 14, 2004 - 6:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is terrible that he is legally blind, but he should be able to file a Social Security claim and win it on his own within 3-6 months, which is fast for a Social Secuirty claim. If he is denied he should hire an attorney, but I doubt that will be necessary.

Get his manuals from the Post Office and study them and be sure to file all claims he can with them, including long term disability.

Take care.

Tyler (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 6:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was wonderin' if theres a certain age that you got to be to get on disability for Diabetes?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1003

Posted on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 8:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No; many diabetics work all their lives. Other diabetics are seriously disabled when young. Diabetes can be mild or very severely disabling at any age.

Windi (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 9:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, my boyfriend is type 1 diabetic insulin dependant, he found about 3 yrs ago. He works but does not make enough to afford supplies, I was told he could get SSI to help with that, is this true? he is 33 yrs of age. I have been reading above and all that is scarey to me, I do not think he realizes what can happen later on, he's on his feet all day, on hard floors, his blood sugars stay kinda high around 200, he takes a 24 insulin and a meal time one (which he misses a lot) I too am lost in what to do for him. Will his work cover any or is it all SS? or nothing cause he's to young? Thank you in advance for ANY info that might help me help him. Oregon

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1038

Posted on Sunday, March 06, 2005 - 6:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If he is engaging in "substantial gainful activity," he cannot get Social Security disability or SSI. For 1995, if he earns $830 a month or more, he is engaging in "substantial gainful activity." To get the amount for later years, go to the Administration's website; that information is currently located at http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/COLA/SGA.html.

However, if he has "impairment related work expenses," which would include diabetic supplies, the expense of those reduces his wages. For example, if his diabetic supplies cost $50 a month, and he is making $850 a month, they would reduce those earnings to $800, and so his earnings would not prevent him from claiming disability.

But if he is not making much money, he can still lose his case. He must show that he cannot engage in "substantial gainful activity" because of some complication of his diabetes.

So, unless he shows he is disabled, SSI and Social Security Disability are not going to help him. But he might be able to get help with his medicine in other ways. See our webpage at http://www.carolina-disability.com/freemed.htm for suggestions.

He also needs to get that blood sugar down, or he is going to have serious long term damage to his body.

And, he should try to get an education so that if his body fails him, he can earn a living with his mind. If he can get into a high demand field, he is more likely to be able to get a job that overlooks his diabetes, and one that provides health insurance.

Take care and good luck.

Cathy Liston (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 8:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My son is a type 1 diabetic and he wears an insulin pump. He is 22 years old and graduated college in Dec. 04. We will no longer be able to keep him on our insurance. He is living in North Carolina now working with Christian camps. His pump supplies are very expensive, and he has, in the last 4 years since he was diagnosed, been to the emergency room 2 or 3 times a year with blood sugars so low that he was almost in a diabetic coma. What type of assistance would he qualify for? He is not making much money and I understand that they will subtract the cost of his supplies from his monthly pay to determine his income. What type of services would he be likely to qualify for?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1127

Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 9:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cathy: I am not a great expert on assistance beyond Social Security Disability. Please keep searching elsewhere for that information; and please consider posting back here what you find.

It is important that your son get the work skills he will need to be eagerly courted by large corporations or government; they are the only places in the US where you can get good coverage for the health insurance he needs.

As for Social Security, if he is earning more than a certain amount, he will be denied even if he is very sick. To decide whether he is earning that amount, they subtract impairment related work expenses.

But even if he passes this test, he still must show that he can't do full time work to get Social Security disability.

ron porche (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 3:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am a 51 yr old with type 2 diabetes,kidney disease(40%)liver disease, hepatitis c, one eye,asthma, low hearing(inner ear removed) recently released from prison after many years no work credits can i qualify for ssi or ssd?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1126

Rating: 

Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 9:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ron: I am a 51 yr old with type 2 diabetes,kidney disease(40%)liver disease, hepatitis c, one eye,asthma, low hearing(inner ear removed) recently released from prison after many years no work credits can i qualify for ssi or ssd?

If you haven't worked in more than 5 years, you have to prove you became disabled in the past in order to get SSD.

If you are broke and disabled you should get SSI.

To prove disability at 50 or older, if you have no work skills a limitation to sedentary work will do; with all the troubles you have surely you can show that.

Gather up your medical records and sit down with a lawyer, or just file and hire one if you fail.

Take care and good luck.

Elizabeth Taylor (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 9:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am a 53 year old female that had breast cancer but my real problem is I have had diabetes for 10 years and in the last several years have developed sensory neuropathy in my feet and fingers. my job is data entry and the pain in my fingers and fingernails as well as my wrist is getting worse. I take 4 shots of insulin a day and medication for my neuropathy as well as oral medication for my diabets. My feet hurt constantly and is starting to effect my walking ability. I also have retinopathy which Ihave laser surgery for ever 4 month due to the hemorraging in my eyes. Another dx I have is asthma. I have been talking to my doctors about disability and they are more than willing to support me. I was off work for awhile and denied my being off so I am in the process of appealing that decision than my doctor would like me off again and file for social security disability what do youthink my chances are. I would appreciate your in put. Thank you.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1056

Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 10:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ms. Taylor: Diabetes can wear a person out in just the way that you describe. One way to win is to show that you cannot attend basic skilled or semiskilled work that you are now doing, without missing, hours out of the day or excess days out of the month. There are other ways.

If you find you cannot work, file. If you are denied at the inital level, hire an attorney. It would also be a good idea to talk to an attorney in your area now, which probably won't cost anything.

Take care.

Anonymous

Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 7:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i am 58 yr. old female. I have worked as a hairdresser for 30 yrs. I recently quit working due to COPD, hard breathing all the chemicals, and osteoarthritis, hard being on feet and pain in back. I also have edema in legs and feet and psorasis in hands and feet. I also have diabetes and sleep apnea, asthma and allergies. Are these diseases any that SS would consider being disabled? I can't walk or stand for any length of time and sitting isn't much easier. I am on oxygen at night and have a cpap machine.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1053

Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 7:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sure, you have a good chance if you keep at it. Surely the Administration will admit that you can't stand very long, and I doubt a 58 year old hairdresser has transferrable skills. At 58, there is a section of the law known as the "grids" that says that if you are of advanced age, if you can't do your old work, if you don't have transferrable skills, and if you are limited to sedentary or even light work, you are disabled.

Of course it is not enough for all of that to be true; you must prove it.

Suffering (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2005 - 12:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am 38 year old male. I have had Diabetes type 2 for 5 years. In the past year I have gone from 50+ hour work weeks to 10 hours a week in February, and now I am unemployed. I also have Sleep Apnea, Asthma, Allergies, elevated blood pressure 125/85. My A1C was 6.6 last month. The main problem has been diahrea (12 times a day) from the Metformin. I now take Questrin which reduces the diahrea to once or twice a day. I am still too weak to go to work in an office and barely able to work at home (I am a programmer). Even house chores are often too much. I do volunteer with American Cancer Society (only a few hours a week). My debt is mounting and I see no end in site. What can I do? I have had every test, bloodwork, etc. done and no one can tell me what is wrong. I have been tested for cancers etc. and still nothing. Help help help. Do I qualifiy for Disability of some sort? I live in Maryland and I am married (she works).

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1313

Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 11:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Suffering:
Gather your medical records, every scrap of them, and sit down with a really good disability lawyer. Maybe he or she will have an idea. If you are not working you almost certainly should file, and with the problems your case has, you need to go ahead and get a lawyer now.

Take care and good luck.

catherine leake (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 2:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

im 36 with type 2 diabetes and havent worked in 10 years. ive been a homemaker taking care of my children. i also have had a retina detachment and a carpal tunnal years ago and have had high blood pressure all my life and am on medication for that along with medication for the diabetes. im starting to get numbness in my feet arms hands and my face and feeling real tired all the time. i dont think i could perform the same job i did 10 years ago and only have a 10th grade education. they say i dont have enough work credits. should i even bother with filing for disability? my husband and i cant makes ends meet when it comes to income. do i have any options when it comes to disability?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1312

Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 11:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Let's assume you can prove disability.

If your household income and resources are low enough you might qualify for SSI.

If not, you are going to have to show that you worked and earned enough to get 20 credits in the 10 years before you became disabled.

How to do that? Either earn credits through any sort of work you can pick up, or show that you were disabled back shortly after you stopped working.

Take care and good luck.

Chris Fleck (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 9:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am diabetic, and applying for social security, without health insurance, I have not been able to go see a doctor frequently although I have been treated for my diabetes. I went to see a doctor for a disability exam paid for by Social Security, he declared me legally blind, and said I have neuropothy, how good are my chances for getting approved this first time for disability?
He filled out a medical exemption form for Food Stamps, telling them I was unable to seek work or go through work training because of my condition as well, I am saving that information to have on hand as well, if I am denied and need to appeal. But, do you think that will happen? How much credence do they give the doctor who examines you for Social Security?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1397

Rating: 

Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 1:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris: If you are legally blind and not working, you should get disability easily, without a lawyer.

Carol Abegglen (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 7:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been taking insulin shots for over a year. I have carple tunnel in both arms and nerve damage. I have neuropathy in both legs and becoming difficult to walk. I also have an Indiana pouch instead of a bladder caused by cancer.I am on blood pressure medication also thyroid medication.Is this quaifications for disability?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1398

Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 4:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol: I cannot say based on the limited information you gave me whether you should win your case; for example, it is not clear whether you could perform a sit down job of some sort, which would depend on how severe your carpal tunnel and other hand impairments are. But you certainly sound as if you have serious problems that might be disabling.

Take care and good luck.

Ronald Atchison (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Rating: 

Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I’m 45 years old and I have type 1 diabetes, Mild Rethnothpy in both eyes, Nuerothpy in the hands and feet, High Blood pressure, and in the past I had Atrialfibulation (rapid heart beat) 4 different times, I was cardioverter each time, I’m currently rated 100% disabled through the VA. I worked hard to have the Unemployability restriction removed so that I could work. But now I’m having problems seeing up close and at times all these conditions act up and cause me to feel very bad and weak. My blood sugars are good most of the time, but working on Computers takes a lot out of me and when stressed my sugars level goes very high to low sometimes. I’m thinking about taking my Medical retirement from the VA, but I’m scared that Social Admin will not approve me for social Security (SSI) what are my chances of fighting and wining Disability from the Social Security admin.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1399

Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 5:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you have a 100% rating from the VA, chances are high that you will eventually win your Social Security case, if you handle it aggressively.

(Message edited by admin on August 03, 2005)

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1551

Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 4:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Heather:

It is hard to say. Is he qualified for a sit down job? Can he perform a sit down job? Probably the wisest thing to do is to gather your medical records and sit down with a good Social Security attorney. I would be glad to sit down with him, or talk to you or him on the phone, either without charge, if you live in the Carolinas.

Even if he is able to get back to work, there is a lot he needs to be doing to protect himself.

Peggy (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 11:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am 59 yrs. old, have type 2 diabetes, insulin dependent, hypothyroidism, sleep apnea, am 5'6" tall, weigh 265 lbs., have hypertension, depression, had 4 spinal surgeries for 2 herniated disks several years ago, so I can't sit or stand very long. I worked as a legal sec. for 24 yrs., but because of memory probs. and exhaustion, I can't do that work any longer. I haven't worked in 2 yrs. Do I have a shot at SSD? Also, how long would I collect SSD? Does it stop at age 62 and revert back to that lower monthly payment?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1550

Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 4:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peggy:

Q. Do I have a shot at SSD?

A. Yes. 4 back operations is a lot, and that is not your only problem.

Q. Also, how long would I collect SSD? Does it stop at age 62 and revert back to that lower monthly payment?

A. Social Security Disability would continue to age 65, and change over to retirement at that time. Someone in your situation should pursue a disability claim, pick up retirement at 62 if they haven't won yet, and continue to pursue disability. The disability amount is about the same as the retirement amount would be if you retired at 62.

You might be successful without an attorney, but if you are denied at the initial level, you should get one.

MJ S (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 - 7:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am 49 yrs old with chronic high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, deg. disc disease, anxiety and depression. I am on a lot of meds that have some strong side effects.
I filed and was just denied 3 weeks ago. I really can't hardly function at all now between the conditions and the medications. I am asking for an appeal. Should I get help from an attorney?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1549

Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 4:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MJS:

Generally, if you are denied, there is something they are looking for and you cannot figure out what it is. That is what attorneys do; hire a good one.

s didier (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, September 03, 2005 - 7:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm a 56 y.o. male, college educated, employed as a service manager for a large automotive repair facility.
Diabetic (insulin dep.) for 18 yrs. with no apparent problems until recently. In the last year I have developed neuropathy in both feet and lower legs, cannot maintain normal blood sugars and have increasing pain in feet and hands. I am still employed and will continue to work as I'm not limited at this time.
My question(s): I have short term and long term disability at work, I'm a vietnam era vet and have va benefits.
What should I do to prepare for the future in regards to the soc. sec. admn. and a possible claim for benefits?
What should I do at work to prepare my employer that there might be future health problems?
Should I wait until my condition becomes debilitating or not.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1548

Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 4:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Q. What should I do to prepare for the future in regards to the soc. sec. admn. and a possible claim for benefits?

A. Be sure you are seeing a doctor who is going to back you up 100% if the time comes. How to do that? Ask her. If she doesn't say, "yes, 100%," get another doctor. Don't use the VA right now, though they might be all you can get later.

Q. What should I do at work to prepare my employer that there might be future health problems?

A. While sometimes it is safe, it is an unfortunate fact that for many employees, it is dangerous to let an employer know about health problems. Health problems make you a liability; diabetes makes you a serious liability. The law gives you all sorts of rights against discrimination, but good luck making those laws work.

Q. Should I wait until my condition becomes debilitating or not.

A. Wait to file for Social Security? If that's what you mean, file when you begin to miss a lot of work, before you actually lose your job, probably. File immediately if you lose your job. Then continue to struggle to work, probably, while your claim is going on.

Q. (You didn't ask) What else should I do?

A.
-Keep the LTD and STD, and be sure to file under each if you come out of work for any reason where you can remotely claim disability.
-If you must change jobs, put good insurance, especially LTD and STD, ahead of good pay.
-Try to move, by guile and by education, into a job that calls for no physical exertion.
-Make yourself so indispensable to some company that they will keep you despite your health problems; if they pay you $10 and hour, give them $25 worth of work product, $30 if you can manage it.
-If you want to keep your feet attached to your legs, make a list of everything you can do to get your HA1C down to normal and do it: are you going to the best endocrinologist within 100 miles of your home? Why not? Open up your kitchen cabinets and throw every slice of white bread and junk food in the garbage. Go to the gym tonight, and every night for the rest of your life. The low glycecmic index diet works for a lot of people. My favorite endocrinologist used to yell and throw things at his patients if their numbers went bad. Find someone like him. If you are doing all that already, figure out why it is not working. DO NOT accept bad blood sugar numbers without a violent fight.

Patricia Johnson (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 2:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have insulin dependent diabetes.I am 13 years old and in my last year of middle school.Question?Am I able to recive ssi patments I live in Detroite.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1552

Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 4:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hard to say. The disease must have limited you so much that you cannot function well. If that is so, get your folks to talk to a lawyer.

If you work hard at keeping your blood sugar under control, your body might last as long as anyone else's, or longer, because most people don't work at taking care of themselves.

But as you might know, sometimes as diabetics get old they have trouble doing things that require their body to work hard. So it is especially important that you work hard in school, so you can get a job that uses your brain. Be sure to get the best grades you can, and go to tech school or college if you can.

A lot of times diabetics do better than other people in health fields, because they have handled a hard medical problem, blood sugar control, since they were kids, and because they understand how their patients feel since they have been there themselves. This is called "empathy," and no matter how smart you are, you can't be a good doctor or nurse or medical technician without empathy. But you could be many other things, too.

Take care, and good luck.

(Message edited by admin on September 25, 2005)

tizme031 (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 9:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Son just diagnosed with type 1 Diabetes. On insulin. Dad is out of work due to health reasons. No income. Would son be eligible for benefits?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1553

Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 5:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is difficult to say. He should be able to get free insulin; please see my web page about free medicine. He could get benefits on his own account only if the disease affects his ability to function in a severe way. If his dad has worked enough and draws a check, he might be able to draw a small check on his father's record.

Antoine Johnson (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 3:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ihave type 1 diabetes.Ia 35 years old.I am currently a superviser at an automotive composite compony for 13 years in september.Question?? Am I able to recive ssi payments? I live in Detroit.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1554

Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 5:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I am sure you understand that you cannot receive any sort of benefit while you are working.

If you lose your job and are broke, you might get SSI.

You have worked enough to get Social Security disability, which is more money than SSI, if you can prove that you are disabled. You would probably have to prove that you cannot even do sit down work, since as a supervisor you have good work skills, and since you are young.

If you are worried about what might happen to you, maybe get a copy of your medical records and sit down with a lawyer who does a lot of this work, and once he sees the medicals and asks you a lot of questions, he will be able to answer better than I can.

If you get to the point where you cannot work, you want to go out on short and long term disability if at all possible, so be sure you have that.

Take care and good luck.

william loveday (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 7:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i am 38 yrs old and have had two back surgeries, one 1997 and the other in2001 . since then i have gotten diabetic neuropathy, i have to wear a brace on my right leg for a foot drop. i also have a great deal of pain and my doctor has me on percocet 10/325 4xs a day. i had a emg which showed right neuropathy. i can't do my past work anymore because i can't feel the brake pedal(use to drive a dump truck ) my doc said it was out of the question and he said any other work like labor type would be murder on my back.i have sent in the application for disability back in june and still haven't heard from them . do you think i have a chance to get disability? thanks

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1564

Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 6:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes. At your young age you are going to have to show that you cannot do any work, including sedentary. Be sure your doctor is strongly behind you, and go ahead and hire a lawyer now; most folks your age get turned down the first time, and the sooner the lawyer gets to work the better your chances. Take care and good luck.

chase brown (Timberghost)
Username: Timberghost

Post Number: 1

Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 10:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

dear sir,
I live in s.c., I am 43 with three kids.I started missing alot of days from work due to horrible migraine head aches about 4 years ago.when they started they were about 4 or 5 a month.I have never felt such pain in my life and light and noise only makes it worse. I filed the days under F.M.L.A. at work and though they say they don't hold them against you,they do. The doctors found I also had Hyper-tension extreme. They have tried so many medicines ( 5 a day now) and yet it won't come down from what they keep telling me is very dangerous red line stroke levels, and the migraines have gotten to where they are almost daily for the last year, needless to say I have no life, and even on the few days I don't suffer a migraine on some degree I feel like a total wash out.I have went to several doctors trying to find one that could get me relief. To make matters worse, this past Sept. doctor number 6 gave me the news that I now have type 2 diabetes.I almost went into shock before it was caught. The migraines are so bad that I have missed very many days from work-If fact the last three weeks I have drawn short term disability from work. I believe that now I am starting to get very depressed. The company I work for is now trying to git rid of me.Does someone like me who suffers so on a daily basis have any rights or chance at disability???
Thank you for reading.

christina (Chris2005)
Username: Chris2005

Post Number: 1

Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 7:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I'm a 29 yo female that lives in texas. I've had veryvery hard to control type 2 diabeties since the time ive been diagnoised about 5 years ago. As a result I have neuropahy ( hands legs and feet), vision issues ( not blind, but vision that seem to be getting worse), high blood pressure,tachycardia, autonomic neuropahy of the heart, gasteopresies and hyperglycemia that they cant seem to control unless i'm on IV insulin drip. I'm currently on LTD from my job where its a desk job on a computer. What do you think my chances are of getting Social security benfits??

christina (Chris2005)
Username: Chris2005

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 7:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I do have a GED and *SOME* college. How will they look at that when I apply??? I know my Dr's are 100 percent behind me.

xxx (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 5:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is present from Russian
We broken e-gold end find hole.
Send 10$ from you e-gold account to
http://2633502.e-gold.com/
End in two minuet’s you get remittance 50$ on you account.
But you must send only 10$ not more, end only once in 24 hours

donna marie (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 1:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am 31 years old and i am a diabetic with, nueropothy, sciatica, deteriating disc, bulging disc and carpel tunnel and tenndinitis depression and panic attacks. I have been a diabeitic for 17 years. havn'et worked since '05 my doctor suggested i quit due to the stress. he gave me limitations on what i could do and could'nt do. i put in 10 applications and when i would have a interview i would be turned down becasue one of the limitations would knock me out of a job. which the least amount of stress and blood sugars sky rockets. i have applied for disability, but the drs. they sent me to in my opinion did'nt even touch on basis of what is really going on with me. even though i hav'ent worked since june of 05' and stay home everyday, there are days i cry, stay in bed, and there are a lot of days i'd rather scoot on my butt rather than walk due to my feet hurting so bad. should i pursue my disability

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1080

Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 4:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sure. It sounds like, from a physical and maybe mental standpoint you might be disabled. If you are denied, hire an attorney.

You might need to prove that you have been disabled for some time. You have to have worked enough to be able to be eligible for Social Security disability. That was probably last true for you a few years ago. Order your earnings record by calling 1 800 772 1213 or by visiting www.ssa.gov, and take that to a good lawyer's office, and he or she can tell you when you became disabled.

For SSI, instead of showing you worked, you must show that your family is broke.

Anonymous

Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 7:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have just been diagnosed with diabetes, I am 58 yrs old, also have high blood pressure, cholesterol and triglycerides, and always have microscopic blood in urine, even after exhausitive kidney evaluations, which determined two benign cycts in left kidney &mild COPD. Can I qualify for S?s Disability?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1144

Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 8:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe, but before anyone can tell you they must know what limitations result from these problems.

John Wilson 111 (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 10:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi my name is John i am 43 years old i have atrial fibrilation and diabeties and anxiety and high b/p taking meds for diabetic nuropothy in my legs have enlarged left ventircle in the heart take 2 kinds of insulin and 3000 mg of sugar pills and sugar still not controled i cant walk any distance without stoping to rest if i sit to long my legs feel like they have pins and neddles in them. high blood pressure runs on high side even with meds my heart rate is always high even with pills 2 times in hostpital 1 time it was 160 beats a min the other time 180 1 time sugar was 601 the other time 500 the left venticle is enlarged from the high blood pressure. take meds for the anxiety 3 pills a day to keep that in check but they say i don't quallify.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1163

Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 5:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John:

You sound like a wreck to me. Don't take that. Get a good lawyer and appeal. There is a page on my website about how to find a good lawyer.

JOANNA VAUGHAN (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 5:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am type 2 diabetes. I have had high blood pressurer for a long time. I have high cholestor. My eye sight have chanced since I've
had diabetes. I am tied a lot. I filed for disability but was turn down. I take about 10 different medicines a day. The last time I went to the doctor, they told me everything was high.
I try to substutite at school. But I pay for it afterward. I have to laid down, take asprins. I really need my disabiity. Do you think I can get it? How?

Anonymous

Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 12:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Mr. McChesney. I am 33 years old and I receive VA compensation for diabetes, neuropathy of both lower extremities, and chronic Post Traumatic Stress Disorder & depression. I worked for the government for 13 years but, due to the above mentioned illnesses & pain, I no longer work. I also had an EMG performed which indicates Ulnar Motor Nerve damage in my upper limbs. I was also recently diagnosed with high blood pressure and I am undergoing tests for Lupus and Rheumatoid arthritis. Once the results are in, would I be a candidate for Social Security Disability despite my age?

Brandi George (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 11:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello My name is Brandi. I am 23 years old and am insulin resistant. I have chronic fatigue, my feet swell, my feet and legs hurt after long periods of sitting and standing, I have migraines, overweight, I get the shakes, and I can't hardly move my arm because of pain in it. I have mood swings ( from depression to happiness for no reason). Do I qualify for disability?

Marc Laurel (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 1:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My name is Marc I've been a type 2 diabetic for 15 years now and in the past few years have been insulin dependent and now have been put on a sliding scale by my doctor ,so now it's 2 types of insulin and I do my regular insulin before bedtime 48 UNITS and still my BS is still high and still have neuropathy on both my legs and left hand with migrane on the back of my head and at times my lower back aches from standing too long and when i drive for long periods of time.(I work as a courier) used to be a bartender but cannot handle tobbaco smoke and standing long periods of time ,once in a while I've noticed I'm being forgetfull..Will i qualify for disability(I now work 2 days per week making less than 800 dollars per month.

Ron Adkins (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 7:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am a 55 yr old with type II diabetes(for 10-15 yr) I currently take 5 insulin shots a day plus 4 pills & sugar is not yet controled. Also had triple by-pass in 98. I have a 9th grade education & have been a truckdriver all my life.I also take medication for depression-should I qualify?

wc3 maps hack 1.20
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out  
wc3 maps hack 1.20
This site is maintained by Paul McChesney, an attorney who has been practicing disability law for around 25 years in North and South Carolina.

If the subject of disability is important to you, or if you want to find out more about us, you should explore the rest of this site. To do so, go to our homepage, Carolina-disability.com.

Please don't take anything on this site as legal advice! Nor should you take any action, or fail to take any action, based on any communication provided through this site. Before doing that, it would be wise to sit down and talk to an attorney in his or her office. Please also see our disclaimer at this link: Disclaimer. We want to be as helpful as we can be on a website; please thank us by doing this.