Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Attention Deficit Disorder, or ADHD
System Mechanic v 6.0s crack
Social-Security-Disability-Forum » Attention Deficit Disorder, or ADHD  

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Qualifying for disability due to ADHDAnonymous4-07-06  1:07 pm
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jona Snead

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)System Mechanic v 6.0s crack

Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 3:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My son is 6 yrs old. He has been diagnosed with ADHD. He is taking meds but they sometimes do him any good.. He also has a learning disability. The prob is that he cannot take this med through summer breaks and when school is not in.. I have worked but due to his behavior it has been hard to keep a job. I myself have been hurt on the job so Now I stay home to care for him.. It is a very ahrd situation. My question is would he be able to recieve SSI??

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 4:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is possible. ADHD cases are more difficult than they used to be, but if you can show a severe enough disability and low enough family income, you might. I would sit down and talk to an attorney or two who handles a lot of these cases.

JANELL CORLEY

Posted on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 8:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i was wondering if my children would be eligible for a disibilty check, due to the this is considered a learning disibility.

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 7:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are many children with ADHD, that is, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. A few of them have such a severe problem that they might qualify for benefits. It used to be easier to win a case on this basis in the past, but the rules were revised and it is more difficult to win on this basis. There was a perception that it caused a positive reward for bad behavior.

Patricia Simmons

Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 9:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a question. My 6 year old daughter was diagnosed with ADHD and ODD in Jan 2004. She was sent to a behavioral clinic and they diagonsed her.I sent the results of that exam with my SSI information to Social Security. In the papers I sent it clearly states she that she has all the signs for ADHD and the signs for ODD. Her doctor there and her Pedatrician along with a counselor all agree she does. She is on Clonidine and Adderall and Zoloft. We are a low income family and she does have medicaid. I was wondering if you thought she might be able to recieve SSI.

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 4:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Possibly. Only rarely is it enough to show that someone has a particular disease; it is almost always necessary to also show what limitations result for the person. Certainly there are many kids with ADHD, that is, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, and ODD, or oppositional defiant disorder, who nevertheless are able to function normally. Further, the Administration has tightened up on these two diseases, and is more reluctant to give benefits for them.

You have to have doctors that say that she has significant limitation of function as a result of her problem.

Amanda Arial
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 11:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My seven year old son has ADHD. He has a learning disability that has not yet been diagnosed by the doctors/school (they are still looking into it). He has already repeated kindergarten once. His second time around they wanted him to repeat it again, but I moved him on to the first grade. He has failed the first grade, and they want to put him into special education classes because he can barely read and write. He needs thearpy according to his doctors and my insurance does not cover this. Does he qualify?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 729

Posted on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 7:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know. If you have strong support from his teachers and counsellors, you might consider filing. To get SSI, a child must show a marked limitation of function in at least two domains of function, or an extreme limitation in one domain.

Perhaps gather all of his school records and take them to an attorney who handles children's cases.

mimie williams
Unregistered guest

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)System Mechanic v 6.0s crack

Posted on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 11:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I HAVE A DAUGHTER 14YRS OLD AND HAS EMD (EDUCATIONABLY MENTAL DISABLED) AND MILDLY MENTAL RETARDED. SHE ALSO HAS NEUROCARDIASYNCOPE WHICH IS PASSING OUT SPELLS WHERE AT TIMES THE HEART DOESNT PUMP ENOUGH BLOOD TO THE BRAIN. I have tried to get disability twice. should I try again and get a lawyer

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 793

Posted on Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 8:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes.

tamara nance
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 1:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Our son is four years old and diagnosed with PDD-NOS,moderate speech,cognitive, and behavioral delays. Further testing is underway to confirm ADHD as well. My husband and I are both active duty military; does this automatically disqualify our son for SSI benefits?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 885

Posted on Sunday, November 14, 2004 - 5:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not in theory; it depends on your income. Gather up your family income information and take it to the Administration and make them calcualte it for you. If it doesn't seem right check their figures at Legal Aid if your income is low, or a private or JAG lawyer, if not.

misha
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 12:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a 8 year old daughter and she was diagnosed with a learning disibilty , called Listening comprehinsion. Her first grade teacher wanted to hold her back but i would not allow it . She did not pass the seconed grade the first time with the help of special ed teacher. and she back and forth again this year in the second again. But they still have her on special ed records. incase she fall to behind . Would i be able to recieve benifites for her with a Ls disibilty.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 956

Posted on Friday, December 31, 2004 - 8:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hard to say. Maybe check with her doctor or school counsellor, and if they support her vigorously, perhaps she might qualify.

Make sure that you and the school are doing everything you can to keep her going forward; these are as you know critical years for her.

Take care and good luck.

kisha (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 3:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

my son is 8 and he has adhd and defiant disorder his grades are great but he gets kicked out of school atleast 3 times a month or more this has been going on since headstart he goes to see a behavoir counselor and psyciatrist i just signed him up for ssi do you think i have a goood chance?

Audra Browning (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, March 26, 2005 - 12:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My 28 month old has been diagnosed with developmental delays. The Center for Autism and related disorders evaluated her and say she is on the spectrum. I am a single mom, unable to send her to daycare, and i occasionally recieve childsupport. Can my daughter qualify for ssi?

kathleen hood (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 1:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

both my children have adhd with learning disabilies and i my self have add with the learning? It is hard to work i have lost many jobs do to this and now i must stay home or try to work part-time in order to get them through school they both see a psychiatrist and psychiologist freaquently so this also makes it hard to have a job..Do they qualify?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1110

Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 6:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For each of these last 3 posts, it is hard to say, based on what you tell me. It depends on how much the condition, as best controlled, affects the kid's ability to function.

Veronica Hudson (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 11:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My son has adhd and suffers with depression, the doctors put him on ritlan and wellbutrin,Ive had a stroke and heartfaliure im reciving ssi but i wanted to know will my son be able to recieve ssi as well.

Anonymous

Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 10:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a 10yr old son that has been diagonised over the past 5 years as having ADHD, OCD, ODD, Depression, and Aspergers. He has been in therapy and on medication for 4 years. More intense therapy now with wrap around services. I am a single parent, and attend school fulltime with very limited income. I have an SSI interview scheduled, and wondered the possibility of him qualifying for SSI benefits.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1303

Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 10:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It looks odd to answer the following questions exactly the same, but I guess it would be odder if 3 people asked the same question and I gave 3 different answers. The only possible answer to the question, "my son has x disease, is he disabled" is, "maybe." The key question you need to know before you can say whether someone is disabled is the limitations that are produced by the condition. Take care.

Anonymous

Posted on Saturday, July 02, 2005 - 4:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

my son is eight years old and was diganosis with adhd and repeated first grade twice. I applied for ssi in october 2003 and was denied twice. I apealed to a hearing in front of a alj and won with no lawyer. ADHD is a serious disability and should not be taken lightly with the support of doctors and teachers he was approved june 22, 2005. Don't give up God bless

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1301

Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 10:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Possibly. If you want a more definite answer, you should gather your son's medical records and sit down with an attorney who handles social security disability cases.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1300

Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 10:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is possible; to get a more definite answer you should gather his medical records and show them to a good Social Security lawyer.

Anonymous

Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 11:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

my 18 year old son has been diagnosed with ADHD
and leaking heart valve,s hes not hipper not much but hes seem slow to catch on and also diffuiculty remembering things hes looking to go to work but iam uneasy about this because of saftey ,should he apply for a check hes in 11# grade this school year

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1388

Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 12:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You as a question it is impossible for me to answer. But if work is not a health risk, it is better to work if you can, and file only if you cannot work.

deedria dozier (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 7:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

in your responses to the questions regarding adhd, your replys says it depends on your income. (among other things) I was just wondering if you have an idea of the income limits in these cases?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1386

Rating: 

Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 11:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deedria: Please see the topic on income, which explains that for all cases, including ADHD.

Henry G. (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 9:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What about ADHD in adults? The inattentive type, or the hyperactive-impulsive type, or the combined type? If severe enough in an adult, could such a disorder be equal in severity to a listed impairment? What about getting a mental RFC for "less than unskilled work" for ADD/ADHD? My guess is that it would be difficult to prove.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1384

Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is difficult. I rarely see a claim under that diagnosis in an adult.

jess swanner (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 12:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Our son is five years old and diagnosed with PDD-NOS,moderate speech,cognitive, and behavioral delays,also diagnosed with ADHD. We are a low income family my husband is the only one that works. My son gets medicaid. I was wondering how much of a chance do you think that my son would quailfy for SSI.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1531

Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 7:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I cannot answer. The diagnoses are not enough. You need to say how much delay, how he functions as best treated.

Anonymous

Rating: 

Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 6:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Henry G., who posted on 7/19/05, asked about receiving SSDI benefits as a person with Adult ADD. "Severe Attention Deficit Disorder" happens to be the diagnosis that determined my !00% status for SSDI. My application was approved within a month - I never even had to go through an appeals process. Here's what's needed - at least it was successful in my case: An extremely thorough, MEDICALLY-based neuropsychiatric exam and report that makes it clear that you're unable to work now or in the future as result of the severity of your condition; an influential person(s) in the community where you are applying (a physician, a congressperson, or -if in a small community- just someone who's well-known) who will advocate for you with SSA. Make SURE your neuropyschologist is the BEST you can find and/or afford. The report she/he presents should detail all aspects of your disability, and your diagnosis must be written according to DSM-IV criteria. -- I hope this helps -- I'd be on the street, penniless, without my SSDI.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out  
This site is maintained by Paul McChesney, an attorney who has been practicing disability law for around 25 years in North and South Carolina.

If the subject of disability is important to you, or if you want to find out more about us, you should explore the rest of this site. To do so, go to our homepage, Carolina-disability.com.

Please don't take anything on this site as legal advice! Nor should you take any action, or fail to take any action, based on any communication provided through this site. Before doing that, it would be wise to sit down and talk to an attorney in his or her office. Please also see our disclaimer at this link: Disclaimer. We want to be as helpful as we can be on a website; please thank us by doing this.