Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Medicare and Medicaid

Social-Security-Disability-Forum » Medicare and Medicaid  

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Anonymous

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 4:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can a medicaid receipent also purchase private insurance to cover things medicaid does not cover?
Dental, quality mental health services, etc.?

Paul McChesney

Posted on Friday, February 16, 2001 - 5:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, in theory, if an insurer will sell you insurance. Consumer Reports has done several articles on Medicare supplement policies. You might look up those articles and contact those companies.

Most people who qualify for medicaid have a low enough income to qualify for local charity medical programs. United Way is often a good place to ask to find out what programs are avaiable locally.

Please let us know how your search goes.

Sharon Stewart

Posted on Monday, February 26, 2001 - 7:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My sister-in-law has been receiving widows benefits since she was 60. She is now 63. Is she entitled to Medicare Part A?

Paul McChesney

Posted on Monday, February 26, 2001 - 8:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

She should be eligible when she becomes 65, I am afraid. This is a serious problem for many. She may file for Social Security disability and SSI and get Medicare and Medicaid under those programs; but she will have to show she is disabled. There are many different ways to qualify for Medicaid, and it might be worth checking in to those.

You should look to local charitable and state programs to fill this coverage gap. They do so poorly, I am afraid.

Anonymous

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2001 - 9:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"There are many different ways to qualify for Medicaid." Would you explain this further? Thank you.

Paul McChesney

Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2001 - 6:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wish I could explain all the ways. There are about 20, they keep changing, and most have nothing to do with Social Security. Some vary state to state. Pregnant women who have an income of less than a certain amount, and families on AFDC, to name several. I wish I could tell you where to look for a complete answer. Please do search the web for the answer, get back to this page with your findings, and I will try to help further.

Tom Lovelace

Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 7:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The first time I was denied SSD, the denial letter I received stated that I may be eligeble for Medicaid. I immediately called and received a form in the mail to apply. I was turned down and told that the only way I could get Medicaid was if I was approved for SSD. Is this true? I have 4 ruptured discs in my back and have to take medication around the clock. I do not have insurance. What should I do?

Paul McChesney

Posted on Friday, March 30, 2001 - 5:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is difficult to get MEDICARE without winning your Social Security disability claim. There are dozens of ways to get MEDICAID. In all states, I think, Medicaid comes with SSI. In some states, you can get Medicaid by proving to the state that you are disabled, whatever the Social Security Administration says (For example, North Carolina). In others, the state Medicaid determination must conform to the Social Security determination about disability.

There are a number of other ways to get Medicaid, too. Only some of them are nationwide. I do not know all of the ways, myself. You might search the web on Medicaid and share what you find here.

Good luck.

daphna simpson

Posted on Monday, April 02, 2001 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

at age 45, if I qualifiy for disability payments, can I qualify for medicare?
I am unable to find health ins

admin

Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2001 - 9:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you qualify for Social Security Disability, you will eventually qualify for Medicare. If you qualify for Supplemental Security Income, you will get Medicaid. There are a lot of other ways to get Medicaid.

It is very difficult to get health insurance if you are sick, and need it. This is outrageous, but there it is.

There are sometimes other ways the sick can get medical treatment and medications, if you cannot get Medicare or Medicaid. If you have further questions, please look around the website, or ask.

carolyn g. lewis

Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2001 - 3:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

what am i allowed to own if i am getting medicaid,such as a home.car boat land etc.

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2001 - 5:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is a short question with a long answer. You can get on Medicaid in many ways. One of the requirements for almost all of them is that you have limited resources. I don't know of any of them that count your house as an asset at first (though there might be one). However, some, but not all, of the Medicaid programs later consider payments they make to be a lien against that house.

Beyond that, resources allowed vary, I believe, from state to state. You will have to check with Medicaid locally or perhaps a local attorney for specifics.

David

Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2001 - 7:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What type of health care will my 52 year old spouse receive if I am approved for SSD and what does it cover or do you need to supplement it with some other type of coverage you pay for.

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Friday, June 01, 2001 - 6:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

None, I am sorry to say, under Medicare or the Social Security Act, unless she is disabled and eligible herself under Social Security Disability or SSI. She might be eligible for benefits under many other programs, but they would be local to your state.

I have many people who are hanging on desparately at work, with serious impairments, because it is the only way they can get good health insurance for a spouse who needs it.

Cherie

Posted on Friday, June 15, 2001 - 9:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My mother in law is about to go on dialysis for kidney failure. Her monthly diability check will be 778$.. she has no assets such as a car or home, no bank accounts... nothing but that check. The is single and lives alone. She has 12 different meds and three patches she takes a day(22 pills a day) for her kidneys, heart, diabeties and high BP, thyroid problems.
Does she qualitfy for south carolina medicaid?..(or should she I know you can't tell based on that info). if not what can she do for her medications?

Reply by Paul:
She might. There are only a few ways to qualify for Medicare, but many to qualify for Medicaid. She should apply. Legal aid, for which she probably does qualify, is often pretty good at Medicaid issues.

She should also call Communicare, a local SC program, whose number she can get at DSS, and visit the www.needymeds.com website for help from the drug companies. If anyone else knows of any other ways to get medications, please post them here.

Kem

Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2001 - 12:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I live in South Carolina and have an attorney helping me with my disability case. My husband works and makes good money but,with my being out of work all of his paycheck goes to our bills.

I'm not getting my medication because we do not have the extra money and his insurance only covers so much.

Can I get assistance with Medicaid or something else while I'm waiting for my hearing?

Reply by Paul I would not give you legal advice; you should ask your lawyer. What help you can get varies state to state.

Casey

Rating: 

Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2001 - 8:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

My wife is disabled, and began receiving disability income and medicaid last year. They said my income could not exceed $900 a month, so I have deliberately worked less in order not to exceed this. Upon our Medicaid check up this year, they denied my wife coverage, counting her disability income of 600 against my 900 - I don't see how this is possible when this is what they told me I could make the year before. (south carolina medicaid) I was hoping you could give me some kind of answers about this.
thanks,

casey

Reply by Paul Medicaid is tricky. I would sit down with a lawyer and all of my notices and my pay stubs. Your wife probably qualifies for legal aid, if she would have trouble paying for this help.

Lily Meliae

Rating: 

Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2001 - 8:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My sister gets Medicaid and SSI in Kentucky. She has credit card debt of about $5000.00and has no way to repay it;what will happen if the credit card issuers take her to court?

Reply by Paul You should check with a local attorney. Thsis a bankruptcy and Kentucky state law question.

(Also would SSI consider a cash advance as income?)

Reply by Paul I am sorry I am not sure. I should know, but don't.

I've been reading your messages here from others and I think it is horrible what people have to go through to try to survive when disabled and being treated like criminals if they try to find a little extra to live on when it is obvious they aren't receiving anywhere near the amount it takes to survive today. I have a friend who applied for SSD, being in excruciating pain after an injury and after having taken care of herself all her life.and they treated her as a liar until she finally got an MRI at her own expense(Which I don't see how she'll ever get it paid for) and the MRI proved she had terrible pain. What is going on when so many people are treated so horribly after already losing their normal lives? No health professional. whether a social security employee or a patient's private doctor shpould be allowed to treat these applicant's as liars without proof or to tell them they "look" like they are able to go back to work. People are being treated in what would be an illegal maner in many other situations and I have seen the damage it does to their self esteem when they've already lost so much--employment, health, possessions!! It is appalling.

janice nicholson

Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 10:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If a person has applied for ssi but not yet approved can they still get medicade in NC. What are the laws in NC.

Reply by Paul Different states have different rules for whether you can pursue a Medicaid claim while you are in the process of applying for SSI or Social Security Disabilty. Each state can set its own rules. In North Carolina, the decisions are independent of each other. You can apply for Medicaid, and sometimes get it, even when the Social Security Administration is denying your claim for disability.

In South Carolina, the procedure is the same, EXCEPT that, when the Social Security Administration finally issues a decision, the state will conform to that decision, if it is on medical grounds.

As a practical matter, this means it is difficult to get Medicaid while you are appealing your Social Secuirty or SSI case in South Carolina, but not so difficult in North Carolina.

I quite frankly do not know how Medicaid is handled in other states, and invite comments about it.

Take care.

Michael Rodriguez

Posted on Monday, September 24, 2001 - 1:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Columbia, SC....My mother is 51 and she has Lung Cancer. She works for a County Courthouse and has been told she cannot return to work there stating it is too much of a liability. She will have to go through Cobra in October; but she cannot afford that. Is she eligible for Disability? What would be needed to show being "disabled"? If she is eligible for disability, would she be eligible for Medicaid?

Reply by Paul If she is able to work but they are refusing to take her back, she might have an Americans with Disability Act claim. I am not an expert in this sort of claim, and she would have to look elsewhere for further ideas about that.

If she is not able to work, if she is a state employee she should file for disability under the state long term disability plan. It is very important that she do this before she gets off of the payroll.

If she has lung cancer she needs insurance desperately. Can she get that continued while she is drawing long term disability? Can the family chip in and pay for the Cobra? There is charitable assistance available in Columbia, but it is not the same as private care.

She should apply for both Medicaid and Social Security if she cannot work.

As to whether she might be successful, that is a more difficult question that calls for some give and take with a lawyer, who needs to know what her limitations are as a result of her condition.

Tara Vicari

Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2002 - 3:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My mother is 54 and has been denied for her disability. She started drawing disability in 1992 and in 1996 my father passed away. She was only 49 at the time, so she was not eligible to receive anything from my fathers social sercurity because she was not disabled and 50. Two months before she turned 50 Social Sercurity terminated her benefits. She did try to go back to work will she filled out the appeal papers, but could not handle it and it lead to 2 more operations. Since then my husaband and I have been paying her bills to keep her going. She has been thru 2 or 3 appeals and still nothing. She does draw a small check from SSI and is receiving Medicaid. She went for a hearing 2 weeks ago and I am afraid that she will be denied again, so my question is will SSI stop automatically if so?
The whole system is very depressing to deal with and aggrevating.
Thank

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 8:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not automatically. It depends on whether disabilty was in issue at the hearing. Get an attorney, please, for her sake.

Take care and good luck.

Heather Moore

Posted on Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 1:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

-Mecklenberg County, Charolette North Carolina

My Question is this:
-A 51 Yr. Old female has just been Amputated. She is currently recieving $500 a mo. of SSI. How long does she have to wait to apply for Medicaid. (We were told 2 yrs, Why?)
-What services are available to help with the reconstruction of her home to make it Wheelchair accessable?

Thank you for your time. I would like phone numbers as well.

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Saturday, March 16, 2002 - 6:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Heather, 1. If she is actually getting SSI, as opposed to Social Security disability, she should be getting Medicaid already.

She can tell if she is getting SSI if she receives a check by looking just before the dollar figure. If it says SSI there, that is the sort of check she is getting. Those checks also come in a blue envelope; Social Security checks in a brown one.

If she is getting a bank deposit, she can tell by the day of deposit. SSI checks always come on the first day of the month; Social Security checks never do.

2. If she is not getting SSI, then the check is probably a Social Security Disability check. In that case, she should go down to North Carolina Social Services and ask for Medicaid. She might or might not qualify depending on her other income and resources. If she doesn't qualify, sometimes there are things she can do.

3. To answer a question that you have not asked, if she is getting Social Security Disability, she will eventually also get Medicare. There is a two year wait after the date she should have gotten her first check for Medicare. That could be the two year wait someone told you about.

4. I am not sure about the services to help with the wheelchair. Ask around, and if you find something out, pass the favor forward by posting it here.

I am not sure what you mean by phone numbers.

Take care.

Dawn Kearns

Posted on Monday, July 29, 2002 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I work as a Support Coordinator with the Butler County Board of MR/DD in Ohio. I have a family (mom and disabled adult child) who are thinking of moving to the Myrtle Beach area. Where should I call to get them set up with applying/transferring information about benefits? He currently receives SSI, Medicaid, and Food Stamps. What is the length of time before he would start to actually receive the benefits? Any help/infomation/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Dawn Kearns, Support Coordinator BCBMRDD

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 5:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dawn, generally you contact State Social Services for Food Stamps, and the nearest Social Security office for SSI. Medicaid will come with SSI; if you are not entitled to SSI, there are other ways to get Medicaid; for them contact State Social Services.

skip crawford

Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 2:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

my wife covers the family with her health insurence we are moving out of state in a few months so she will be between jobs and uninsured
i have a heart conditions and are on 15 different
meds. will their be a delay with myself for insurence through ssi for meds.

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 6:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Skip, let me try to re-ask your question, and I will answer the re-asked question. "If I am on SSI, and we move to another state, will my Medicaid continue?"

The answer to that question is "probably," which is about as good an answer as I can give. Medicaid varies somewhat from state to state. Many states will only pay for a few prescriptions. You really must talk to a person in the state to which you are moving. Take care.

william t everett

Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2003 - 7:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i was told when i was approved for disability after two years i would automatically start getting medicare but today is 04 26 03 and my two year period for waiting is over on my birthday on 04 30 03 , i have not received anything even closely looking like i will start in may of 2003 , could you tell me what i need to do if anything?

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 5:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I suppose, go down to the local office and ask for it. If they won’t give it to you, get a lawyer. Medicare starts two years after the first month for which you get a Social Security Disability check. This month is always at least 6 months after you become disabled, and is later than that if you file late, since you can only go back for a year before the date you file. That is not two years from when you get your first check, it is two years from when you should have gotten it. That date will almost always appear on your first notice.

Kim Blackburn

Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 6:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My husband draws disabled social security of 566 a month after they take the money out for the insurance he gets 526. With the medical bills we still have to pay twenty percent after a while this adds up and its a real struggle especially when we have two children. Can he qualify for ssi two. Because with that you get a card that covers the medical bills.

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 7:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If there is no other income in the house, or your income is very low, depending on what state he lives in, if he is drawing a check for $526 that might be low enough for him to get SSI, too. He certainly should apply. If he is told he does not qualify he should go down to Legal Aid and ask at what dollar point your income causes him to become disqualified.

He should also call the United Way and ask if there are any local programs to help with medical and other expenses.

sharon pendlebury

Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 6:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

can you get help with perscriptions when recieving these benefits?

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 11:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you qualify for Medicaid, you will get prescriptions in most, and perhaps in all states. If you get SSI, in most and perhaps all states you get Medicaid. If your income is low enough, and you can show that you are disabled, you can get Medicaid even if you are not getting SSI.

There are a number of other ways to get free or discount prescriptions.

J Hollis

Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 10:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I applied for medicaid in shelby nc and was turned down saying I was not disabled by a ma manual 2000, I looked thru this manual and saw nothing that would pertain to my disability. When the interviewer called he concentrated on factors that were basically under control. Why Iam I not being understood i need help for the arthritis that controls my days? I can't afford a specialist and there's not much the local clinic I go to can do but ease the pain. I REALLY need help medical bills aren't being paid and Iam afraid I will not be seen due to this. How can I win a disability case when Iam turned down by medicaid?
thank you

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 12:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ms. Hollis: It is funny, but it is often true that you will win a Social Security disability case and lose the Medicaid case, or the other way around, at least in states like North Carolina where the decisions are made separately. Do not despair, and hire a lawyer.

Gina B.
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 9:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My mother had two valves replaced in her heart. Since the surgery, she went back to work for a VERY short time (she discovered she couldn't do as much as she did before she had surgery). For two years she has lived completely off her savings. Now, she has applied for Disability, Medicaid, and/or SSI. It seems she is getting NO WHERE. She is 57 years old, has worked steadily all her life and her disability has been denied. She has a hearing scheduled for later this week for medicaid. She is wondering what to expect when she goes for this hearing. Any ideas? Thanks.

Al Johns
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 4:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was considered disabled with congestive heart failure and severe cardiomyopathy in August 2002. I was told that I would be eligible for medicare 2 years after I was considered disabled. Will medicare benefits start automatically or will I have to apply for them? Also, i was recently diagnosed with cancer. Will my disability benefits increase with more severe illness or will they stay the same?

angela williams

Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 4:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My husband was recently approved for his Social Security Disability after a lengthy 3 year wait and he is not represented by an attorney. He was approved for medicaid for a short while to have his back surgery during 2001 and 2002 which amounted to medical bills over 30,000.00 and medicaid paid on his medicals. His backpay is currently being calculated and we are wondering will Social Security take this amount out of his SSD backpay during their calculations.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 754

Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 10:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Let me ask the question I understand you to have asked:

If a person gets Medicaid to pay a large medical expense, and later wins a Social Security claim, must he then pay back Medicaid?

If that is the question, the answer is, "not at that time."

To answer a question that you did not ask, sometimes Medicaid develops a lien on property so that if someone dies, his estate has to pay Medicaid back. This does not always happen.

Shelita Simon

Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 6:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Paul,
I've been trying for SSD for over 3 years now. I just got approved for medicaid this month. Is this a good sign that I will soon be approved for SSD? Also, I read on a different web site that some other folks, maybe not in SC, only get a small amount per month. I was told that the amount that I would get some 2-3 years ago by SS on a form that they sent me. Does the amount on that form still stand, or was that based on if I continued to work and make what I was making? The form did state that I had all my "points" for SSD so I wouldn't have to get the SSI, which I know is much less.
Thanks in advance,
simon

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 4:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shelita: It is interesting that you have gotten Medicaid during the time that you are appealing a Social Security case. I thought that in South Carolina, where the basis of Medicaid is disability, the Medicaid officials always denied you if the Social Security Administration did. If you live in South Carolina, please give me a call and explain how you did that.

In South Carolina, that is so unusual that I cannot say if it is a good sign or not. In other states, such as North Carolina, Medicaid cases are routinely won before Social Security cases.

The amount shown on the form might still be approximately correct. But as time passes without work, not only does the amount gradually change; your eligibility can also expire. Without seeing the form and knowing exactly what status your case is in, I cannot tell you whether you are still eligible.

Shelita Simon

Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 1:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry Paul, I won't be able to call you because I have a lawyer. How did I do it???!!! It wasn't nothing that "I" did. I did what DHHS asked me to do, and that was to get my docs to send them my medical history and current dx. Based on the info sent in, DHHS requested that I be examined by one of their docs. I guess he found that all that was stated and written was and is true. He examined me, he did multiple tests and he ordered additional test, and all supported my claim and even showed some "new" problems not seen on my last MRI. He told me that he felt that I was "totally disabled" and within 2 weeks I got my medicaid card. I hope this train continues to roll. And yes I do live in South Carolina, about 30 minutes south-east of Columbia.

Deanna Miceli
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 5:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there a residency law in North Carolina for medicade benefits?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 796

Posted on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 5:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you live in a state, generally you get that state's Medicaid benefits. You might have to live there for some brief time before you can claim benefits, but if there is a waiting period, it is short.

I do not know what the rules are about out of state residents getting Medicaid benefits; generally I think, but am not sure, that this is difficult.

If you live close to a state border, there is often a provision that you can get your state's Medicaid to pay for services at hospitals and doctors across the state line for a short distance.

Unlike Medicare and Social Security Disability and Supplemental Security Income, Medicaid is administered mostly by each state for that state's residents.

carolyn helms
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 8:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My mother is 77 years old and disabled. She now lives with my husband and me. Can she still rec.
assist. even if she lives with me. I am talking in the sense of medicaid. We have provided a room upstairs and installed a stair lift and made her room accessible for the disabilty.
Bottom line can she still be a canidate for medicaid? She draws a check of 600. each month. She cannot walk without assist. and has heart failure.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 810

Posted on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 7:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes. She should apply for Medicaid. People drawing retirement or disability who have small checks can get Medicaid if their income and resources are low enough. How low depends on the state.

Cyril
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 9:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello... first off, thanks for the great site. The information on obtaining discounted drugs alone was very exhaustive in its scope, compared to other such pages I've seen, and will be invaluable.

I have an inherited illness primarily affecting the lungs. (I'm receiving SSI to help deal with it.) I also have a medical complication that makes transplant a very risky option, as a result, only one center in the States will perform it--the University of Northern Carolina.

However, New York State Medicaid (which I currently have) would not cover anything at UNC. The initial evaluation and testing would cost maybe 15,000 dollars... I suppose I'll raise that on my own, somehow. When and if I know they'll agree to the operation--which is not a given--I plan to move to NC and get their Medicaid, which should cover at least a lion's share of the remaining expenses.

How soon would I get it after applying? Since I already have New York's, could I get it replaced quicker? Are there any local resources in NC that could help with the initial test costs; or do you know of anything that might cover it I could be eligible for, like Medicare, private insurance, etc?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 955

Posted on Friday, December 31, 2004 - 8:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am not sure of much, only this: If you are getting SSI in New York, you will probably be able to transfer to North Carolina fairly easily, and Medicare always comes with SSI.

If you are not drawing SSI, the answer is less certain, and I am no great expert at getting that answer.

I would suggest talking in depth to a social worker or admissions counsellor at the university where this procedure is performed before you take any major step. The should know how people come to be covered for the operation, and might be able to give you further guidance.

Be sure to look at the positives and negatives of the transplant operation carefully, and consult multiple sources, rather than just the source that profits from it.

Take care and good luck.

flirtypurse
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 8:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

“Most individuals with disabilities who work will continue to receive at least 93 consecutive months of hospital and supplementary medical insurance under Medicare. Although cash benefits may cease due to work, you have the assurance of continued health insurance. You qualify by working and perform SGA, but not be medically improved.” I have two questions:
1) What do they mean by “most” individuals... Why not ALL individuals? Who are they excluding and why?
2) If you are not medically improved and your doctors’ records support that, is that enough to satisfy SS? Or does SS use some other criteria to evaluate this? For example - do they consider how many hours over SGA you are working or what type of work you are doing in order to make their decision? It’s so ironic and confusing that they allow this benefit of continuing Medicare coverage, since SS uses working as a criteria for NOT allowing people to get disability benefits in the first place.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 850

Posted on Sunday, November 14, 2004 - 4:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Flirtypurse: Medicare after a return to work is something I do not understand all that well; I am sorry; I know it is a critical subject. I know what is written down, but I do not have a good sense of how it is actually applied. I have never understood how you can be medically disabled and yet be able to work, but that is what the regulation contemplates.

I can say that, in the very limited number of cases I have observed, as a practical matter if you go back to work yourself, you tend to be able to keep Medicare, but if they review you and terminate you, the Administration tends to terminate it.

And I would guess that it is essential that, to continue Medicare, you would need to continue to have some sort of health condition that causes some degree of impairment.

And I would suggest that if the Administration tries not to continue your Medicare that you contest this. But the problem is that if they cut it off, the appeal process is so slow, by the time you win the Medicare might have run out.

Please take these two comments as unsatisfactory suggestions which might aid or perhaps confuse further investigation, rather than any final or complete statement of how this does or should work; and I invite others with more experience here to share them.

JERRY ,TN.
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 2:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

TODAY,I KNOW ONE THING FOR SURE, THERE ARE A LOT OF PEOPLE IN THE SAME BOAT,HEALTH WISE THAT IS IN NEED OF MEDICAL HELP.I HAVE NOT WORKED SINCE SEPT.OF 2003. I HAVE APPLIED FOR TN.CARE AND SSI.MY MEDICINE`S COST 751.00 A MONTH,I NO LONGER HAVE ANY MORE RESOURCES LEFT.MY HOUSE IS BEING FORECLOSED NOW!WHAT`S LEFT TO DO? PRAY!

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 986

Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 2:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are a lot of other things you can do to sort of help the Lord along. Please look at my page on free medicine; none of it might work but you should try it. There are a lot of other things you can do; I am not a great expert at anything except the disability claim, which I see you have filed. Be sure to talk to a local lawyer and the local United Way, who should know everyone in your area who can help. Take care.

Anonymous

Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 9:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why is it so HARD to get Medicaid?I am on Social Security Disability,& I did get Medicaid once.Then they took that away and said I had to pay a $8.000.00 deductable before I cold get it again,but it seems they don't allow you to use much of any thing for it.Man if I could afford all that I would not need it.I have to take so many pills & it costs way to much.So What is a person to do?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1145

Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 5:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous: Of course check the post just above yours for the free medicines suggestions. I only know a little about Medicaid, so if you have a specific question, keep searching. Take care.

Jamie Reed (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 6:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My mother in law receives Medicare, and she is in bad need of a lift chair. Her doctor said that she has to have one, however she is unable to pay for it on her own. Medicare will only pay a percentage, and the left over she is not able to pay. I was wondering if there is any other programs that may be able to help her get a lift chair at little or no cost.

Thank You,
Jamie

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1144

Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 5:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jamie: I know a lot about Social Security, a little about Medicare and Medicaid, and cannot tell you much about other programs; keep searching. Take care.

H. Rossi (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 7:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been on SS disabilty for two years, I just received my medicare card with part A and B.
Effective June 1st, 2005.
I am a retiree and have group insurance with BCBS of Illinois. Can I decline Medicare till I am 65 and still continue with my group Insurance? Can BCBS demand that I take Medicare?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1143

Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 5:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. Rossi: That is really a question of Illinois law concerning the Blue Cross Blue Shield contract. Contact Blue Cross, and if they don't help, an Illinois lawyer.

Anonymous

Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 8:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My mother applied for SSI for me a year ago in Michigan and I was accepted. At the begining of April it was transfered to N.Carolina. Four days ago I moved to Alabama with the father of my child in which I am 7 months pregnant with. I am 17 years old and will turn 18 in 3 months. The baby is to be born in 2 months. Can I transfer the SSI and medicaid to Alabama for the birth of my child.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1142

Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 5:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous: You should be able to with little problem. Just call your county Department of Social Services when you get to Alabama.

anonymous (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 5:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i am trying to locate a medical dr. who will accept
medicade ins in the sherman, tx area.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1141

Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 5:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In some areas, the state Department of Social Services keeps a list of doctors who take Medicaid. In some areas of the country, private doctors take Medicaid; in other areas it mostly works in public clinics.

TIM WALTERS (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2005 - 2:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MY MOTHER IN LAW IS 62 YEARS OLD AND IS ON SOCIAL SECURITY.SHE DRAWS 1100 A MONTH AND HER HEALTH INSURANCE JUST WENT UP TO 400.00 A MONTH.CAN SHE RECIEVE MEDICADE INSURANCE IN THE STATE OF ALABAMA.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1223

Posted on Monday, May 30, 2005 - 9:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are a lot of ways to get Medicaid that I do not understand. She cannot get it as a part of disability check.

If she is disabled she might be able to get Medicare by applying for and winning a Social Security disability claim.

Anonymous

Posted on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 2:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am trying to find a local doctor for my Sister-In-Law who has been disabled for 13 years. She had a car wreck a year ago and most of her teeth were knocked out, butin the meantime, she has had her leg amputated and was in the hopital for almost 4 months due to complications, she also has RSD. The question is, now it is required that you have a physical when you are going to surgery to have a procceder in which you will be leaving the same day.She can not find a local doctor who will see her in the Charlotte-Salisbury area. She has asked the S.S,disability and called around to no avail.Can I get a list in these areas?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1327

Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 1:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am not great at this sort of question. Maybe start with the United Way in Charlotte. They usually know where most assistance can be found. Take care and good luck.

Anonymous

Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 9:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i won my social sercurity disabilty case in court in march 2005.i recived my back pay in april 2005.and i was acepted for medicaid&community blue family health plus in may 2005. my question is can they cut me off from my medical insurance because i got back pay money?i live in niagara falls new york.also i didnot get medical until a month after i got my back pay.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1421

Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 9:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am not sure. It sounds like you are talking about a program that is local to New York; you need to check with a local authority. Take care.

linda secor (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, August 22, 2005 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i live in ny and have custody of my grandson he is on ssi and receives medicaid. can i transfer his ssi to sc where i want to move he is on medicine for adhd and high blood pressure we really need his medicine will it be a problem to transfer.

n.colon (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, September 04, 2005 - 7:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am on Medicare for Disability for the past 20 years. I have now applied and approved for Medicaid. I am wondering which is my primary insurance, Medicare or Medicaid?

Anonymous

Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 4:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an aunt who is a retired school teacher in North Carolina. She retired to take care of her husband who was paralyzed. She later had a stroke that paralyzed her as well. After her husband passed away, she was place in a nursing home. She has been in the nursing home for about 5-6 years and is now being forced out due to medicaid rules. Can you explain why medicaid would not cover her situation and also, why she does not qualify for diability? thanx.

Very Curious (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 1:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you explain the application process for Medicaid and what are you able to tell me regarding Medicaid and Primary Immune Deficiency?

angiephifer (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 8:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

NC...My mother had a stroke last year and has qualified for SSD, but now they are saying she can't receive the medicaid because she exceeds the $817 income. She has to take alot of medicine and see her dr. to control her blood pressure what ins.can she qualify for to assist with dr. visits and prescriptions

Leah (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 10:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In the state of illinois when your pregnant and have medicade, after the baby is born do they try to get the money for the baby being born from the father?

ac_onion
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 8:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a specific question my regarding Medicare enrollment. I am 37, single and receiving SSDI benefits as of June 2001 entitlement. My entitlement for Part A hospital insurance started in June 2003. My Part B medical insurance started in June 2004. (The Part B was not processed on time if youíre wondering why the date differs from Part A - I elected not to take the Part B earlier entitlement date of 2003. Iím keeping it as they have it currently at June 2004.) Along with my notice of award that I received in June came a yellow card. This card states that if I donít want the medical insurance I have up until September 1, 2004 to send this card back to SS. I currently have individual health insurance, not group.

My question is this: If I cancel Part B in August, can I enroll again between Jan-Mar of 2005 without penalty? I got two different answers to this question and I need a tie-breaker.

P.S. Also, what exactly happens if I don't return the yellow card until after Sept 1?

P.P. S. I noticed that Paul McChesney answers all of these questions. Paul - may I respectfully ask what your credentials are? Many Thanks.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 879

Rating: 

Posted on Sunday, November 14, 2004 - 4:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Q. If I cancel Part B in August, can I enroll again between Jan-Mar of 2005 without penalty?

A. I don't know. I am not a great expert on Medicare.

Q. Also, what exactly happens if I don't return the yellow card until after Sept 1?

A. Don't know. Again, I only know a little about Medicare.

Q. I noticed that Paul McChesney answers all of these questions. Paul - may I respectfully ask what your credentials are?

A. Sure. As is evident from the above, I claim little expertise in regard to Medicare. These are my credentials for Social Security disability and SSI:

-I am an attorney. I graduated from The Citadel and Duke Law School, and clerked for Justice Littlejohn of the SC Supreme Court.
-I have handled mostly Social Security disability and SSI claims since 1979. I handle a moderate number of worker's compensation claims. I handle just about no Medicare claims.
-I am now handling about 20-30 hearings in these cases a month. My staff gathers all of the evidence in each case, and I look at it and try to figure out what steps to take to win that case. While they are taking those steps, I pick up the next case and try to figure that one out. I spend about 50 hours a week doing that and trying cases. Anyone who does that for 20 years will get a pretty good idea of what works and what doesn't.
-I only get paid in these cases if I win. I cannot win unless I study the process carefully. So I have spent whatever time it has taken between 1979 and now trying to figure out how to win these cases. I am not brilliant, but I have put all the brains I have into this one place. It is possible that you could do almost anything better than me - except, I am pretty sure, talk to a person and look at his medical records and from that figure out how to give him his best chance of winning his SS case.
-I have been invited to present seminars on Social Security disability before other attorneys on the state and national level by organizations such as NOSSCR, the National Association of Social Security Claimant's Representatives.
-All of this is not to say that I am always right. I am a fallible person who has done the things listed above for a long time. I try to be careful, but I am not perfect. You should be careful yourself, by taking my statements as suggestions for further inquiry only. While none of us can be completely objective, I do try to be honest and deliver what I think without spin, describing the world as it does work, rather than as it is supposed to work, or as I hope it would work, or as I would guess it might work, and to admit ignorance when I am ignorant.

-To oversimplify, the web has 3 sorts of content.
One sort is almost pure spin, websites designed solely to get you to do or buy something. The author might know the truth, but uses it sparingly, and freely and deliberately mixed with plausible falsehood. Buy my miracle cure.
The second sort is a jumble of truth and falsehood. The author is well intentioned, but honestly mistaken, coming to conclusions based on too little experience or knowledge. I tried the miracle cure, and it worked.
The third sort is truth mixed with as little falsehood as the substantial experience of the author allows. We tried the miracle cure on 40 people and a similar placebo on another 40 in a double blind test, and these are the results. I hope you will find this website to be of the third sort; my effort and intent has been to make it so.

(Message edited by admin on April 06, 2005)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out  

This site is maintained by Paul McChesney, an attorney who has been practicing disability law for around 25 years in North and South Carolina.

If the subject of disability is important to you, or if you want to find out more about us, you should explore the rest of this site. To do so, go to our homepage, Carolina-disability.com.

Please don't take anything on this site as legal advice! Nor should you take any action, or fail to take any action, based on any communication provided through this site. Before doing that, it would be wise to sit down and talk to an attorney in his or her office. Please also see our disclaimer at this link: Disclaimer. We want to be as helpful as we can be on a website; please thank us by doing this.