Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Short Term Disability Benefits and So...
dreamweaver 8 cracke
Social-Security-Disability-Forum » Short Term Disability Benefits and Social Security Disability  

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        
dreamweaver 8 cracke

dreamweaver 8 cracke
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

brenda abbey

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)dreamweaver 8 cracke

Posted on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 8:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there a disability insurance for people who have surgery and off work for a short period.

Les Stewart

Posted on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 12:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Brenda I can answer your question and keep you from having to wait for Paul to get to it. Yes there is insurance that will pay for short term disability if a person cannot work for medical reasons. Just about any insurance agent can get you information on disability insurance. Most that I have seen require you to be out of work for a certain amount of time before they will start paying. Most pay one amount if you are hospitalized and another amount if you are at home. The amount of payments depends on the policy and the more they pay the more you pay in premiums. There are normally restrictions on preexisting conditions so if you know you need surgery they will not pay you if you get the policy now. Check with an insurance agent.

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 6:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks. I might add that there is nothing in the Social Security Disabilty system for people who will or have recovered within a year; and that short term disability insurance is often available through your employer.

It is important to get and stay covered with some sort of short and long term disability insurance if at all possible.

Darren S.Covil
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 10:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would like to know what legal rights I would have when denied S.T.D.benefits.I do have an appeal in but if they don't find in my favor at work,I will probably be terminated for non-coverage of attendance.I was told FMLA ran concurrently with the S.T.D.that I did receive for awhile.I would like to add that I did get injured by a fall outside of work,and have recently taken a fuction test and was told I could not return to work by the therapist at work and needed to take P.T.at work for 4 weeks which I've almost completed.My Dr. has never returned me to work and feels the same as the P.Therapist that I do the P.T. and Function test again before returning.I would greatly appreciate you thoughts on this matter.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 728

Posted on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 7:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Most, but not all, short term disability policies are governed by ERISA, a Federal statute. If yours is, and you are denied, you should get an attorney immediately, for this reason:

After your second denial, your only remedy is usually a claim filed in Federal court. But at that point, the record is closed, and you can't add any more evidence. It is often true that the evidence that you submit is not strong enough to meet the very high standard required to win at the Federal court level. A lawyer who does a lot of ERISA work and is good at it will understand what evidence needs to be submitted.

In my area of the country, there are a lot of lawyers who think they are good at ERISA work, but only a few who really are.

A very high percentage of STD and LTD cases are lost by clearly disabled people because they fall into this trap. This part of the ERISA law really stinks, and I am amazed that the Supreme Court says it is legal, but they have done so.

If you have questions about what your rights are in regard to being terminated, I don't know anything about that area of law, and you should search carefully elsewhere for answers.

ca_phe
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 12:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've been having chronic spontaneous nose-bleed, dizzy-spells, can't concentrate, fatige, and other extreme stress related problems. I want to take some time off to take care of my health. I'm also going through a divorce and breast-feeding 100% to a 10 months old baby. All of these contributed to my conditions. I'm a full-commission stock broker, which in and of itself, a stressful job.

My question is: will I be qualified to be on STD? And if so, how to I prove my case? Thanks for your help.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 820

Posted on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 7:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very hard to say. Get a copy of your STD policy and take it by an attorney. What you have to prove varies depending on the policy. Be sure you have at least one doctor who will back you up.

danielle
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, September 20, 2004 - 1:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am going to have to take time off due to the delivery of my child. My current boss asked me if I was going to draw disability. Is this possible? I never heard of such a thing for being out of work due to child birth.

Tony G.
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, November 05, 2004 - 7:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,
I would like to first off inform you of the current situation. I have a 54 yaer old mother who has been on her current job as a High School Custodian for the past four years in the state of South Carolina. The Company that she works for (Service Solutions) is a Nationwide Facility Support Company. She was told that they don't provide any type of Medical Insurance for Employees who work in her capacity (custodial). She recently was diagnosed with Stomach Cancer and underwent Surgery. She is now currently at home recovering and was informed by her Oncologist that she will have to undergo Radiation and Chemotherapy that will keep her out of work for atleast six more months. This totally will have her now to be unemployed for approxiamately seven months. Is there any kind of Short Term Disability Income that she can apply for since she didn't and doesn't have Medical Insurance? What other forms of Temporary Income is there that may be available to her? Any information and or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 884

Posted on Sunday, November 14, 2004 - 5:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tony, I do not know of any short term benefits that might be available to her. There well might be some; there are many programs that I don't know about. Keep searching.

If she is pretty much positive that she will be back at work within a year, there is no point in her filing a Social Security disability claim or SSI claim, but if she is not positive she will be back within a year, she should probably file a Social Security disability and SSI claim, just to be safe. Good luck in your difficult situation.

lynda white
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 10:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MY HUSBAND HAD TO RETIRE AT AGE 55 DUE TO A BRAIN TUMOR AND IS UNABLE TO RETURN TO WORK. HE IS GETTING HIS COUNTY RETIREMENT,BUT COULD HE ALSO DRAW DISABILTY AT LEAST FOR THE TIME OF RECOVERY?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 883

Posted on Sunday, November 14, 2004 - 5:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, if he is disabled or expects to be for at least a year.

If he is not sure, he should file, just in case.

Sam
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, November 22, 2004 - 8:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm an executive w/ a large telecom firm for 12 years and suffering from extreme depression due to work related pressure and stress. I've been under a doctor's care for the last 12 months. According to my STD plan, I can take up to 13 weeks of STD to regroup and get the depression under control if recommened by my doctor and he has. My plan says they have to hold my job open as dictated by federal and stae law. Where can I find a resource that describes the law? The plan is vauge enough where I'm not sure what my rights are under federal and state law. Can you point me to a resource? Thanks ..

Sam

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 924

Posted on Wednesday, December 01, 2004 - 1:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My practice has sharpened me at the expense of narrowing me. That question is tangential to Social Security disability. I am not sure and would not want to mislead you. Look around on the net, talk to a couple of lawyers, be careful, and trust no one. Take care.

ken.balasic
Unregistered guest

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)dreamweaver 8 cracke

Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 12:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Paul - I have stage 4 (last stage) cirrosis of the liver from hepititis C. I am under the care of the Hepetology Group at MCV in Richmond va. Because of severe systems from my chronis disease my Specilists are ready to write my employer informing them I cannot perform my job duties anymore.

I pay into a short and long term disability insurance at work. It pays 100% salary for first 6 months and 60% after that. It pays until I am 65 yrs old. I am 57.

My question is this: At the end of my first year on disability will I have to apply for SS disability or can I just continue on my insurance disability plan. If I do have to apply for SS disabilty will the documentation from my Docters be enough for me to qualify.

I will be getting on the liver transplant list in the near future. It will take about 18 months before I get a liver.

Help - Ken Balasic

Molly Petrik
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 1:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have STD coverage which I pay as an extra policy at work. My doctor wants me off work for a heart and pulmonary condition as well as being over weight. I also have to have knee surgery. Can I work a part time job while I recieve STD coverage?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 954

Posted on Friday, December 31, 2004 - 8:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know; it depends on what the policy says; study it carefully, and if you are not sure, ask an attorney.

Take care and good luck.

judigy

Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 6:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My cousin is 62 years old and lives in Florida.He developed a condition that his doctor wants him to go on short term disability.Does that go under SS or his medical insurance from the company that he works for?Is he considered stil an employe trough the time or he will be reanstated after his return.Thanks for your time.J. G.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 750

Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 9:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If he is only going to be disabled for a short period of time, Social Security has no program for him; for Social Security and SSI, the disability must be expected to last a year. Many companies have short term disability programs.

But you can file for Social Security disability or SSI claiming that you think it is going to last a year; if you are not sure that is often a good idea.

Sue Brooks (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 8:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My dad just had open heart surgery and he will be out of work for about 6 weeks. He is 69 years old and draws social security but he still works full time. He has Short Tern Disability through his employer and they have cut his diability check tremendously because he draws social security. He has been out of work since April. Is there anything that we can do to get his full disability check or can they do this to him. His employer takes his disability out of his check every week.

dreamweaver 8 cracke
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out  
dreamweaver 8 cracke
This site is maintained by Paul McChesney, an attorney who has been practicing disability law for around 25 years in North and South Carolina.

If the subject of disability is important to you, or if you want to find out more about us, you should explore the rest of this site. To do so, go to our homepage, Carolina-disability.com.

Please don't take anything on this site as legal advice! Nor should you take any action, or fail to take any action, based on any communication provided through this site. Before doing that, it would be wise to sit down and talk to an attorney in his or her office. Please also see our disclaimer at this link: Disclaimer. We want to be as helpful as we can be on a website; please thank us by doing this.