Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Benefits for Ex-Spouses

Social-Security-Disability-Forum » Benefits for Ex-Spouses  

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Do Spouse's Benefits Reduce Ex-Spouse's?Anonymous4-06-06  6:36 am
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

allan tavel

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 8:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

if my x-wife is drawing disabilty social security from me will it effect my new familys benefits it the future

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 5:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your ex-wife cannot be drawing disability benefits on your record; the only disability benefits an ex-wife can draw are on her own record, or that of her deceased husband. In either of those cases, her benefits do not affect those of your current family.

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 11:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I might add that your ex-spouse can often draw retirement benefits on your record.

Anonymous

Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 11:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am 60, divorced since 1980, and am on SSDI, from childhood polio. I will be 62 in 2006. My ex is also on SSDI at age 63, for the same reason. Is there a way I can receive part of his SSDI as a disabled spouse after a 15 year marriage???? I have been receiving full benefit SSDI after 40 credits since 1998 after a stroke which left me deaf, in addition to the other problems. I have not remarried nor has he. If I DO remarry, will I lose any benefits I receive from his SSDI??

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1091

Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 3:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not as long as he is alive, married to him or not. There are no disability benefits for anyone based on a spouse's record unless the spouse is deceased. Same for ex-spouses.

But you can receive retirement on his record, once he and you both get to retirement age and retire. Your benefit amount on his record is half of his, and you will get whichever is bigger, his or yours, so, very roughly, his will only benefit you if he made twice as much as you did.

If you do remarry you risk loss of any benefits you would get under his record, but you stand to eventually gain benefits under your new husband's record.

I say "risk" because you don't always lose benefits by remarriage. If you are worried about it, sit down with a lawyer before you tie the knot.

rose johnson (Likemindz)
Username: Likemindz

Post Number: 1

Rating: 
Votes: 3 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 8:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am on SSI..I have Blepharospasm and Glaucoma .I was married for 20 years then divorced..He died last month..Will I be able to get widows pention or social securety while receiving SSI which is my only income.If so at what age ? I live in Florida..

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1124

Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 9:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can get benefits as a disabled, surviving ex-spouse if you are 60, or 50 and become disabled within 7 years of his death, or within 7 years of the last payment to you of survivor's benefits as the mother of his child.

Lynn Dowdey (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, May 02, 2005 - 12:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

my husband wants a divorce and I'm on disability.
I need to know what benefits are there for me for buying a home and other benefits for me afer a divorce. We've been married for 34 years. Ive been devastated over this, which in turn messes with my immune system. He says he's tired of my illineses. I'm tired of his adultries.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1158

Posted on Saturday, May 07, 2005 - 7:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I cannot really answer this question. I am good at getting people on disability, but you are already there. I do not know much about the other benefits you might get, if any, from the Family Court or from other sources. Talk to a Family Court lawyer. I am sorry to hear about your situation.

daylor (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 11:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I realize that my ex spouse is entitled to benefits upon my death provided she has not remarried at the time of filing...and provided we were married for 10 years. My question is: does this have to be 10 consecutive years? (We were marrid for 3 yrs....divorsed for 2 yrs...remarried for 8 yrs....and divorsed a second time).

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1265

Posted on Monday, July 04, 2005 - 12:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Daylor, that is a question I have never thought of before. She might apply just to see, and I am not certain, but I would guess that she cannot: the statute says that she must have been "married to the insured for at least 10 years immediately before your divorce became final." 20 CFR 404.336.

Anonymous

Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 5:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

can a 51 year old ex-wife, of a 13 year marriage ,who , was diabled ,for 5 years before ,a divorce, that took place , 12 years ago , if she never remarried. can she, file on her ex-husbands record for social security disability? SHE WAS A HOUSE WIFE THE WHOLE MARRIAGE AND IS ON SSI DISABILITY NOW { HE IS TRYING TO GET SOCIAL SECURITY DIABILITY IF HE GETS APPROVED WILL THAT MAKE A DIFFERENC

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1257

Posted on Monday, July 04, 2005 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If your husband or ex-husband is living, you cannot draw disability benefits on his record.

Jackie (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 1:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I signed up for disability and was denied. It is about to go to an appeal. I am 59. I was married for over 19 years and had 3 children with him. We divorced several years ago. He remarried. I remarried. He died over a year ago. My children and his parents want me to sign up for his social security. Will I be eligible to draw from his record if I win the appeal? Or should I continue under my own record? And if I draw under his record will that have any effect on his widow drawing from him when she becomes of eligible age?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1352

Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 12:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Q. Will I be eligible to draw from his record if I win the appeal?

A. If you are presently married, you cannot draw benefits on his record. If you become divorced, you probably can. There are some complex rules that will sometimes enable a married person to draw on a prior spouse's record that I will not go into at this point, for complicated reasons. Anyone who is reading this should not assume this conclusion applies to them!

Q. Or should I continue under my own record?

A. Of course you should, whatever happens with his.

Q. And if I draw under his record will that have any effect on his widow drawing from him when she becomes of eligible age?

A. No. This wise rule was probably created to keep the difficulties between spouse and ex-spouse to a minimum.

Sherry (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 3:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

I'm writing from California. I have been bedridden and disabled for 16 years with Rheumatoid Arthritis. I am divorced and recieve a court ordered spousal support amount which is barely enough to live on as half of it goes to my mortgage alone.

I have basicaly gone without medical care now for many years as my share of cost with medi-cal (California Medicaid) is too much for me to afford. A social worker I spoke with suggested I apply for SSDI on my ex spouses record. We were married for 25 years but he is still working and not retired and we are both in our late fifties. Before becoming disabled I never worked and was a homemaker and raised our two children.

Is there any way for me to recive SSDI benefits?

THank You

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1488

Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 6:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sherry, there well might be some sort of assistance for you under California or some other sort of Federal law that I don't know about. I assume that you are getting some SSI. To get Social Security on your ex-husband's record, you would have to be 62 to get retirement, or he would have to be deceased, for you to get Social Security Widow's benefits, as being over 50 and disabled; there are a few other requirements for widow's benefits.

Take care.

J Smith (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 8:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My father recently passed away and was the only income earner for he and my mother. All of their children are grown and out of the house.
My father died at 61, my mother is currently 56 and has not worked in about 7 years and so does not qualify for the regular Social Security Disability.

She has been overweight for most of her adult life, currently around 350 lbs with bad knees and cant walk more than 40 feet without getting winded and we are hoping that will be enough to get her on SSI.

I have 2 questions:

1) If she does get on SSI, will she be able to draw the widow's benefit in addition to the SSI? Or will she have to take one or the other?

2) If for whatever reason she does not qualify for SSI or SSD, is there any way she can still be declared a disabled widow so that she can receive the widow's benefit?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1486

Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 6:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. Smith:

) If she does get on SSI, will she be able to draw the widow's benefit in addition to the SSI? Or will she have to take one or the other?

A. She must file for the widow's benefit; it will reduce SSI dollar for dollar after a $20 exclusion.

2) If for whatever reason she does not qualify for SSI or SSD, is there any way she can still be declared a disabled widow so that she can receive the widow's benefit?

A. Yes, if she can show she is disabled. She has to show she is over 50, disabled, and was married to your father for a year. She will get 72.5% of his benefit amount.

Roy C. Foley, Jr. (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, September 02, 2005 - 8:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was married almost 30 years. My ex-wife has been disabled for last 15 years of our marriage. I am 61 and she is 62. Question: can she collect any benefit from my record now - or does she have to wait until I retire or die? She was a housewife for 30 years and has no (very little) personal Social Security benefits. I pay her $4970 per month court ordered maintenance and she is entitled to about 40% of my pension when I retire in April 2009.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1484

Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 4:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. Foley:
Not now; you have to die or turn 62, and she does have to be unmarried, probably.

She does not have to wait til you retire. She would if you were married.

SCNICHOLSON (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, September 03, 2005 - 1:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am 56 years old and my ex-husband just passed away in February and I was told that I was eligible to draw his widows benefits since I was his first wife and we also had 3 Sons but one is now deceased and the other two are grown. Is it true that I am able to draw widows benefits???
Thank you...

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1483

Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 3:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you are not presently married, and if you were married to him long enough, which you must have been with 3 sons, yes; go apply if you are disabled and became so within 7 years of his death or you last mother's check; or apply when you are 60 (not 62) if not for widow's retirement benefits.

Anonymous

Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 12:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a friend that is currently receiving SSD. She is also getting food stamps and her medications. Her ex husband died last year and she was divorced from him 20 years ago. She never remarried. Anyway, if she is eligible for his SSI benefits, will her own be affected, like not having her food stams and medical needs?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1480

Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 12:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know about state benefits, and I don't think you are usually worse off as far as food stamps are concerned. The one way I know of you can lose in that situation is if your Social Security disability check makes you too rich for Medicaid, which is a number of free prescriptions each month. For some people this is a catastrophic problem.

Anonymous

Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 12:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On above note: Can the state (Ohio) take away food stamps and meds due to her possible increase in SSD from ex husband. In other words put her at a disadvantage over what she gets now?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1479

Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know. I am only good at Social Security disability.

angela w gutierrez (Lookenfl)
Username: Lookenfl

Post Number: 1

Rating: 
Votes: 2 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 9:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i am 64yrs this month, i have collected on my social security since 62. presently married. I contacted s.s. and ask how i could get old records on my exspouses.was told precedure.sent for first husbands mariage and divorce found marriage not divorce. contacted social security was told that they could run a state wide search,they did this came up with nothing. was told by social security that i was still married to him since no records were found for divorce. went to a lawyer and found out i needed an annullment from present husband to clear up my history and to make every thing in my life legal. did so . recieved checks on my first deceased husband. later was sent letter stating i was not his spouse that i had remarried before age 60. appealed stating that i had annulled from present husband. appeal came back all information on denial of appeal was all wrong. supervisor from local s.s. office resent appeal to payment center stating all was wrong. still ate the payment center waiting for answer. they are now saying that social security looks at annullment differently ,that my intent was that i was divorced so i got married thinking iwas divorced . does not make sense. i thought all laws were the same for all people. thank you my question is anullment the same for all .very confused and they are going to collect back payment and keep my check for one year to pay back and overpayment that they told me i was intittled too.WOW! hard to explain

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1100

Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 9:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Angela, this is an excellent question! Certainly hire a lawyer, and a good one. Remarrying before age 60 can cause permanent forfeiture of certain benefits, but what "annul" means is to have a declaration that there was no marriage in the first place. I don't know of a provision in the Social Security law that contradicts this, but I am afraid to say there isn't one; I would have to research that question.

Anonymous

Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 7:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How can I find my ex-husbands social security number having lost it through moving and we are not on speaking terms. I need to know his number in order to collect half of his social security-we are both in our 70s.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1099

Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 9:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous,I am embarased to admit that I do not know if the Administration will let you file without one. You might just go down and try.

If they don't let you, you might talk to a private investigator or maybe try http://www.publicpeoplefinder.com/Get-SSN.shtml. Take care.

Anonymous

Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 8:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ohio.I was married for 31 yrs.My Ex was dx with cancer last yr.He is on Disability and received his check this month.I am on SSI.The case worker gave the Ex one week to file a motion.He owes $10,795 in arrearages to me.At the time of divorce, he agreed to pay $1000 a month.He receives $1000 a month from Disability.He has filed for modification.The man has lied about his living expenses.Next year I turn 62.I can file on his Social.My concern is that I will only get $450 to $500.How much money will they give to me out of his check? What about the arrearages? What per cent will be taken out?My concern is the money situation next year at 62.He has his own place to live.I can't even afford that.I have been shoved off from one adult child to another.Next year I will no longer have medicaid and will have to pay for my own meds and Doctor appointments.I know that my Ex will find something to do.He will not sit home twenty-four seven.He always finds work "under" the table.

Anonymous

Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 9:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I couldn't write everything but my Ex put himself in debt $90,000 after the Divorce and cheated by working and collecting unemployment.I didn't get any money for 12 weeks.At the Divorce I had to make concessions.The Court seemed to be favoring him.I got stuck paying $30,000 in medical bills and I wasn't even working.I have Graves,Lupus,Sjogren's,Fibromyalgia,Pulmonary Fibrosis,and dx with Clinical Depression along with bulging discs.It seemed like I was "racking" up one disease after another,probably due to all the stress.Thanks for your time

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1098

Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 8:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Q. How much money will they give to me out of his check?

A. When you retire, if you are not remarried and you and he were married long enough, you can either draw on your record or his, whichever will be higher. If you draw on his, you will draw one half of what he would draw under the same circumstances.

Q. What about the arrearages?

A. I don't know there are any in a Social Security claim. I am not sure what you mean.

Q. What per cent will be taken out? Again, I am not sure what you mean. Taken out of what? Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Anonymous

Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 10:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When we go to court next month,the Court must decide how much to take from my Ex's Disability check towards my spousal support.A Social Security Disability Check can be garnished for spousal arrearages and spousal support.The State of Ohio took 65% from his check.I was told by the case worker that the Court can modify that,even if it is the state law.He wants to modify my spousal support.I did not work enough in the marriage that is why I am on SSI.I know that I can apply on my Ex's Social next year and no I am not remarried.I hope the Court allows enough so that next year I can combine the two together.It is not fun being on SSI.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1120

Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 1:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your question is mostly a family law one, and I don't address those generally, but I will say the obvious: when a couple who is broke seperates, they then have to pay for two refrigerators, two stoves, two apartments, etc., and they are going to be very broke.

Often if you are on SSI, you will also qualify for Section 8 housing, food stamps, etc. Be sure to check for those.

Anonymous

Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 2:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was married 12 years. We went before a judge with no lawyers for our divorce. My husband kept everything from me as far as our finances. I really knew nothing about pentions at the time. So when the Judge ask me if I wanted part of his pention I said no. Not knowing what I Gave up. Is there anyway I can get part of his pention now that he is retired? I was very young and controled by this man.

James (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 10:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was married for twenty years. We had a disabled child. Thus I stayed home. We divorced but never separated. I am 9 years older than my ex spouse. I am 65 and disabled. I have to pay for my part A Medicare. Is there any way that I can get disability.

Julia Horne (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 3:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I finally got my aproval letter. March 30th. It says I have been disabled since May 2000. I applied November 2003. Two things, one there aren't giving me my medicaid til May. When, I really need it now. 2. How long will it take for the backpay to hit. They are 603.00 a month ssi.

Julia Horne (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, April 22, 2006 - 9:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found out I will not be getting back pay. Because, my husband's income all these years. So, May 1st. My SSI starts. Is this fair? I've been out of work since May 2000

Anonymous

Posted on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 10:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was married to my first husband for 17 years. He has been getting a disability check for quite sometime. I am remarried now. Am I entitled to have of his disability check he gets every month.($800.00) He is only in his 50's and I'm in my 40's. Thanks.

barbara capalingo (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 5:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i am 57 yrs old my husband has been deceased since 1988.we were married in 1982. am i eligble for any kind of benefits from any of his records.i am not employed and do not have enough s.s. points to draw any kind of s.s. for my self.

Janice Long (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 2:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was married to my ex for almost 16 yrs. We have two sons. We've been divorced for 26 years. I was always a homemaker due to heart problems since childhood. We both remarried but my husband died in 1999. I am 59 yrs old and on permanent disability drawing on my deceased husband's social security.
My ex plans on retiring in Feb. 2007 when he turns 62. Will I also be eligible for benefits from his social security retirement? If so, do I have to wait until I am 60? Thanks!

Anonymous

Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 5:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ein Schloss, Ein Wurst, Ein Kopf !xjn

april corder (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 12:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My husband is 46 years old. He has signed up for disibility for his back. He has been turned down 3 times already but his lawyer is still working on his case. Our youngest child is 17. My husband packed up and walked out on us a few months ago. My question is: If his disibility goes through is our son and myself entitled to any payments or backpay? How would I find out if he gets it, because his lawyer won't discuss it with me?

Anonymous

Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 2:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am a 60 year old disabled woman on ssi, i do not have enough credits to draw ss on my own. Am I eligible to draw benefits on my ex husbands social security? We were married for 24 years and I live in the state of virginia.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out  

This site is maintained by Paul McChesney, an attorney who has been practicing disability law for around 25 years in North and South Carolina.

If the subject of disability is important to you, or if you want to find out more about us, you should explore the rest of this site. To do so, go to our homepage, Carolina-disability.com.

Please don't take anything on this site as legal advice! Nor should you take any action, or fail to take any action, based on any communication provided through this site. Before doing that, it would be wise to sit down and talk to an attorney in his or her office. Please also see our disclaimer at this link: Disclaimer. We want to be as helpful as we can be on a website; please thank us by doing this.