Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Benefits For a Child of a Disabled Pe...
license key acdsee
Social-Security-Disability-Forum » Benefits For a Child of a Disabled Person  

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Benefits after high school on line learn onlin7-25-06  11:00 pm
Can the Child Get the Check? charles stone 4-06-06  3:56 pm
Entitlement and Termination Requirements for StepchildrenPaul Miranda 3-28-06  8:52 pm
My GrandkidsLeona Gail Canaday 6-30-06  11:56 pm
Disability for a StepchildPamela 4-10-06  11:39 am
Medicaid benefits with ssi/ssdijamie 4-11-06  7:55 pm
Disabiled adopted parent not paying supportAnonymous7-01-06  8:24 pm
  Start New Thread        
license key acdsee

license key acdsee
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

alex richardson

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)license key acdsee

Posted on Monday, April 02, 2001 - 12:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I reicive both s.s.i and social sercurity my girlfriend is pregnent,we are not merried.how will this affect my benifits.

Reply by Paul Probably not at all. If you have a child and are drawing Social Security Disability, that child can also draw a small check; but the total of your checks cannot exceed your family maximum. And, as a practical matter, if you are drawing SSI, that means your Social Security check is small; and when it is, your family maximum is often very small, too. But after the child is born, please do go apply for benefits for the child, to be sure.

Tanya Spaulding

Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2001 - 10:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am disabled and I am on SSI. I am about to loose state aid for my kids because I am sending them to private school. Is there any benefits that my children are entitled to from SSI because I am disabled?

Reply by Paul I am sorry; no. Only for Social Security Disability.

Lynn Holland

Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2001 - 10:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am married and my ex-husband has applied for welfare, I have applied for SSI as well and must file a new claim. My question is, are my husband's step-children entitled to a check (they are my children.)

g.m.tyner

Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2001 - 1:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just recieved my lump sum check and my award notification for soc sec disability, but I heard nothing about my children on what and when they would recieve a check. Any answers?

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2001 - 8:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Usually, to get a check for the children of the disabled, the person who wants to receive that check needs to go down to the local office and file for the dependant, after the favorable decison. A few months later that the child's representative should get a check, if the child is otherwise entitled.

He should be entitled if his disabled or retired parent is qualified for Social Security Disability or Retirement on his or her own record, and if the disabled person's earnings were large enough.

Usually the appropriate person to go is the person who has custody of the child. There are exceptions. For example, there are some people who give good care, but cannot handle money.

PIPER

Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2001 - 9:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

SORRY IF THIS HAS ALREADY BEEN ADDRESSED BUT I NEED ANSWERS. I BECAME DISABLED AFTER A CAR WRECK WHEN I WAS 16. I HAVE NEVER WORKED THEREFORE I HAVE NOTHING IN SOCIAL SECURITY. I AM ON SSI AND I AM A SINGLE MOTHER OF 1. IS MY DAUGHTER ENTITLED TO A CHECK? WE LIVE OFF OF MY 1 CHECK AND I NEED HELP!!!! I LIVE IN NEW MEXICO AND CAN'T GET ANY ANSWERS. THANK YOU SO MUCH..
PIPER@INTIMATEFIRE.COM

Reply by Paul I am sorry; there is no check for children of the disabled under the SSI program; there is under the Social Security program. But you have to have worked to qualify for Social Security under your own record.

Take care.

Diana Lott

Posted on Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 8:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a friend that lives in Georgia,, She has 3 small children & the father of the children draws S.S.I. She was never married to their father & He doesnt live in there house.. My question is why isnt she able to get a check for her children? He was suppose to pay child support before he started getting his check.

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Tuesday, March 26, 2002 - 5:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are two disability programs that the Social Security Administration administers. Under the Social Security Disability program, the minor child of a disabled worker, or the child who is 19 and going full time to high school, gets a benefit check that is a certain percentage of the worker's check.

Under the SSI program, which is for people who have little income or resorces, and who have not worked enough to qualify for enough Social Security Disability to get by, there is no check that is payable to the child.

Two things you might check on for her: one, many people who think they are drawing SSI are actually drawing Social Security Disability. To be sure, your friend might go to the local office of the Administration and ask. Don't trust him to tell you!

Second, there is a possibility that in some states a disabled individual who is drawing SSI might be ordered to pay child support. I cannot say whether or not this might be so in Georgia.

Both of these approaches are difficult.

Take care and good luck.

ginasteele

Posted on Thursday, May 02, 2002 - 5:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My ex-husband lives in West Virginia and is on Social security for a mental disability, he is only 35 and has worked very little before we have an 11 year old son and I live in North Carolina, since my son has had the same problems in school that his father has had can he receive a check under his father for the same thing?

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Saturday, May 04, 2002 - 7:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gina, let me ask your question two different ways and give two answers:

If a man is disabled, can his child also draw a check? Answer: If the father has had enough earnings to qualify for Social Security Disability, and if the child can establish paternity and actual or presumed dependency, yes he can. You ought to file at the local office; if there is some problem, they will let you know. If there is a problem talk to an attorney.

Question two: If the child is also disabled, can he draw a check? Perhaps he can draw SSI if his impairment is severe enough and if his family income is not too high.

Shwn Warr

Posted on Thursday, July 04, 2002 - 5:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can he children of a deceased SSI parent recieved benefits. How and what do I have to do?

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 5:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The answer to this question is, sort of, may be. If a parent is deceased, the person responsible for the child should contact the Administration. There are often benefits available for that child, if the parent has worked enough.

But this would not be because he drew SSI; it would be because he is deceased.

betty ward

Posted on Friday, June 28, 2002 - 7:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you were to receive a lump sum from an accident and declared permantely disabled,will your social secuirty check be less and , and if you are divorced will your dependent child's support be taken out of your check or will she receive a separate social security check?

gina steele

Posted on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 6:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My son is 12 years old. Since he was about 4 years old he has had problems with understanding and tics. All through school he has had learning disabilities and has been in special education classes since 1st grade. He is now in the 7th and they think he may have aspergers syndrome and tourettes syndrome. His father, which I am currently divorced from, also had these problems all his life and was also in special education classes throughout school. He is now receiving social security disablity benefits for these conditions. I was wondering if my son is medically evaluated with the aspergers and tourettes syndromes and since his father is already receiving benefits, can my son be signed up for them also? Should he be signed up under his father or by himself? Will it affect his chances since we are currently divorced and I am remarried? Is aspergers and tourettes cause for disablement?

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)license key acdsee

Posted on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 6:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They certainly can be a basis for disability. It depends on their severity.

If your son's father is drawing Social Security Disability benefits, his minor son might be entitled to a check whether he is disabled or not.

If your son's father is drawing SSI or a very low Social Security disability check, or if he was born outside marriage and was never dependent on his father, or in several other circumstances, he might not be able to draw a check base on his father's record.

If your son is in fact disabled, and the family income is low enough, he might be able to qualify for SSI.

Of course you know what I say about hiring an attorney.

royjon simpson

Posted on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 6:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I BEEN DRAWING DISABILITY SINCE 1999 WHEN I STARTED RECEIVING MY CHECK MY WIFE AND 9 YEAR OLD SON WAS NOT INCLUDED. THEN IN JUNE 2002 MY WIFE AND CHILD STARTED TO RECIVE A CHECK AND WAS TOLD THEY WERE DUE BACK PAY. MY QUESTION IS WHY DID IT TAKE SO LONG AND NOW THAT IT HAVE BEEN RECTIFIED WHY WE HAVENT GOT THEIR BACK PAYMENTS THIS IS OCTOBER. THEY ALWAYS TELL MY WIFE ITS AT THE PAYMENT CENTER. THANKS FOR ANY IDEAS ROYJON SIMPSON

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 5:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

RoyJohn, you probably did not get benefits for your family because you did not go down to the local Social Security office right after you got your check to ask for benefits for them. It is important to do this.

It often takes several months after you ask to get a lump sum check.

If they it takes longer than that, you can try two things: You can contact your congressman or senator; that often helps speed up things. If that doesn't work, you can hire a lawyer to bring what is called a mandamus to order the benefits paid.

It is easier to bring a mandamus action if you can prove that you contacted them several times.

Take care and good luck.

Melisa

Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 8:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My mother and father are divorced, and when I was a child, my mother began receiving SS disability payments in my name from my father's disability. This year, my tax return was applied against an outstanding debt of $8,000 because SS determined my father is not actually disabled. I never received a dime of this money, and was still a minor when the last payment was received by my mother. Also, this debt is over 12 years old and I have never heard anything about it until now. I have filed my taxes every year and have gotten a refund each year. Am I liable for my parent's overpayments that they put in my name?

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 6:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I hate to admit that I do not know the answer to that question. You must get a local attorney. Sorry; if anyone knows the answer, please post.

It certainly does not seem fair; but I know that the Administration claims the right to recover overpayments from family in certain situations. Whether they can legally do so is another question.

Rob White

Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 3:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are alot of "might be" and "should be" answers floating around. Hypothetically, I was just approved for SSDI and am awaiting my back-pay. How do I know if my two sons are eligible for benefits under me. How much would I have had to contribute? Or is that even what determines their eligibility?

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 6:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yup, a definite answer usually requires a series of questions and answers, because the subject is so complex.

Take your papers down to the local office and ask for children's benefits. If they live with someone else, usually the SSA prefers to pay the custodian, though that is not a hard and fast rule.

For your kids to draw, you need to have earned enough to have a substantial check yourself, and they need to be under 18, or under 19 and going to high school.

Your kids need to have been dependant on you. But they are presumed dependant on you if you are married to their mom and living with them. There is a lot more to the dependency question.

bri

Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 4:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My son's father was killed,and he was only 19 years old.He didn't live long enouph to work hard,and pay in the quarters that they say you need.What about us.I think we deserve something,if he was living I could get childsuport.

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 8:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You should get his earnings record and take it to an attorney to review. At 19, it takes very little work to earn enough quarters, or credits, for your son to be eligible.

margo

Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 7:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i ma wondering if i recieve a ssi check can my under age children also recieve one also due to my disability i cant get anyone to help i havent been okd to recieve it yet i applied 6 months ago help san antonio tx

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 8:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You cannot get a check for your child if you get SSI. You can often do so if you get a Social Security Disability check.

Kathleen Krone

Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 10:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My husband was approved in May for social security disabilty and as of yet we have not recieved any thing but I have two questions. My husband pays child support ( will this child recieve a check in loo of child support?). The second question is will my husband or this child recieve any medical with this disability program?I am trying to see if I need to purchase some insurance on this child. Thank you for any info on this subject.

tej

Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 11:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm in the middle of a divorce.My soon to be ex-husband received social security last march along with my two children.He owed me child support money before he filed.My question is can the money the children received in back pay be deducted from the child support he owed me before he filed for social security?

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 7:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is hard to say. It is not a Social Secuirty question. It is a family law question, and depends on what the family court judge in your state would say. Often credit is given.

Betty Rollins

Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 3:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been married to a man since 1998,he became
disabled in 1999. I have 2 children,these are not his children.We are now separated and he finally got approved for social security disability. Are my children entitled to a check?

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 10:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is an excellent question. A stepchild can get benefits if they can prove they were dependent on the stepparent during the right times. Go ahead and apply for them, and if that doesn't work, consult with an attorney. Your children might or might not qualify, but it is worth looking in to.

Rebecca Richbourg

Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 4:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Iam 64 and receiving Social Security Disability. I have recently been awarded legal guardianship of my two grandchildren. Are legal wards of a disabled family member entitled to receive social security benefits as if they were adopted children.

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 5:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rebecca: The short answer is, "no," but adoptive parents are entitled to benefits. Normally the adoption must take place before you become disabled or retire, but there is an exception for kids who have been primarily supported by their grandparents. You might be able to adopt, and then get benefits for them. Sit down with an experienced SS lawyer and find out.

shassan

Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2003 - 8:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have applied for ssdi. If i'm approved can my 2 kids AGES 14 & 15 get retroactive benefits FOR THE 12 MONTH MAX AS MYSELF . iF NOT how far back can kids benefits go back. I'M HOPING TO GET APPROVED FOR THE PAST 17 MONTHS.(MY ONSET DATE WAS 10/01 AND MY APPL. DT WAS 8/03

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 6:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shassan: If you are entitled to Social Security Disability benefits, your minor children are entitled to a small check, too. If your benefits are very small, their check will be small or nonexistent. If your check is larger, it will be larger, too. Their check will begin whenever yours does.

If you are successful, you should go back down to the Administration, and ask them to start the children's checks.

Hazel

Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 5:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

mother gets disability, father in prison can this child who is 7 years old get a check?

Reply by Paul: If the mother is drawing Social Security Disability, probably.

Tom Rouch

Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 1:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am a recently retired disabled police officer. I recently was approved for ssdi. At present I am going through a very messy divorce/custody case. I left my wife after she refused to cease her abuse of drugs. She has overdosed at least a dozen times during our five yr. marriage. Our son has overdosed as well while in her care and has been injured while in her care. All incidents are documented (police/hosp. reports). Believe it or not she may still get custody of our son (MD is a mom state). My son is entitled to substantial benefits (monthly and retropay) from soc. sec.. Should my wife get primary custody these monies will most certainly be her free ticket to ride. She'll blow (literally and figuratively) through the retro and monthly payments in no time. My son will be lucky to get an outfit from k-mart each month. The local soc. sec. office claimed to have safeguards in place - big joke - half hr.intervies with parent who has kid-no drug testing, home visits, etc. It is unbelievable to me that she might get away with this. I want a representative payee established to properly dole out the money for legitimate purposes for my son. SS says it can't be done. Can that really be true?
Also, if I father a new child will that child born after my disability be eligable for benefits as well? (Sorry for the length of my inquiries.)

T.V.R.

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 5:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom, sorry; I missed this post. I hope things came out ok. In my experience, as a practical matter, the Administration almost always makes the custodial parent the representative payee over a child's check. And, to be fair to them, 96% of the time this is the best thing to do. But sometimes not; and though there are all sorts of rules about protecting the child, as a practical matter it is difficult to get them to do anything.

Of course the ideal solution is to win custody of the child in state court and get representative payee status yourself. But even if you lose the custody battle, you can also apply to be made representative payee yourself before the Administration, and if denied appeal the decision, just like you would a decision that you are not disabled. I do not know how this would come out; I have limited experience with such appeals. But if it was my kid I would do it.

Kids born after share the benefits available under your record.

C. Kanski

Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 10:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My ex of more than 10 years hurt himself and has not been able to work for more than a year. He has said that he applied for disability and is still waiting.He said if he is approved they will send our child a check due to the fact that he has been ordered to pay child support. He hasn't given me any time frame as to when he applied. He is vague and won't give me any real or pertinent information. How can I find out if his disability has been approved? And if it has is there a chance that the checks for my daughter have been intercepted by him? He lives there in Charleston and we live in Michigan.

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 5:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ms. Kanski, you ask important questions. If you have child by someone you are not now living with, and he files for disability, there are three common scenarios:
1. He is a great fellow who is truly disabled and will let you know right when he gets his benefits. That is the most common scenario, but not the only one.
2. He is not disabled, but is pursuing a disability claim to get out of child support. Some people let this scam run for years. If this is a possibility, demand all his medical records showing the proof that he is disabled. Be aware that there are often some records that make someone look disabled, and others that make him look able to work. Be sure to get all the records. If he won't give them to you, talk to a local Family Court lawyer and consider hauling him in to Family Court and getting the court to make him give you all his medical records. If they say "not disabled," show that to the Family Court and ask them to make pay up or serve time. If you are broke, in some jurisdictions legal aid might do this.
3. Some folks are really disabled, but will try to rip you off by not telling you that they have won their case, and maybe filing for the child's check themselves. Two suggestions: Talk to a family court lawyer about getting some kind of order from the family court requiring him to give you notice. The advantage of this is that, around here anyway, Family Courts do not hesitate in throwing people in jail for violating their orders. You can also go down to the local Social Security office about once every 3-6 months and apply for your child's benefits.

C.Kanski

Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 6:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you very much for your prompt and honest answers. But I do have a few more questions. So are you saying that it is possible that he is getting checks for her at his home address and possibly keeping them? If his disability was approved, wouldn't they send the checks to us directly? Wouldn't he be required to provide them with our address? And if he was approved for the disability,would the check she would receive be the full amount of his weekly child support obligation or just a small percentage?
There is not a chance he will turn over medical files to me. And being an interstate case,wouldn't it be quite difficult to get them? The child support issue alone has been difficult being this is an interstate case. Our Friend of the Court here is not very good in following through.
And my one last question is that couldn't I contact Social Security and point blank ask them if he was receiving anything? Wouldn't they be required to tell me or is it considered confidential information? Thank you very much!

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 8:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So are you saying that it is possible that he is getting checks for her at his home address and possibly keeping them?

That is a possibility.

If his disability was approved, wouldn't they send the checks to us directly?

Only if he were truthful about where his child is living.

Wouldn't he be required to provide them with our address?

He might be required to; I am not sure, but he certainly can lie about it.

And if he was approved for the disability,would the check she would receive be the full amount of his weekly child support obligation or just a small percentage?

It would be 50% of the amount of his check; but all the check of each child is reduced so that the total of all checks does not exceed the "family maximum," which varies, depending on how much he earned. It could be $600, it could be $0. It is not tied to the amount of child support he is ordered to pay.

There is not a chance he will turn over medical files to me. And being an interstate case,wouldn't it be quite difficult to get them?

Yes difficult. I did not realize it was an interstate case. It is not impossible.

The child support issue alone has been difficult being this is an interstate case. Our Friend of the Court here is not very good in following through.

Sorry. If you cannot afford to hire your own lawyer in the state where he lives, try being very plesant to the Friend of the Court; but very very persistent.

And my one last question is that couldn't I contact Social Security and point blank ask them if he was receiving anything? Wouldn't they be required to tell me or is it considered confidential information?

I am just about positive you can go down and apply for the benefits for her. In allowing or denying her, they will have to tell you whether he is drawing. Not quite positive about this; let us know if it works.

Thank you very much!

Good luck.

Amanda

Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 9:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My daughters father receives social secruity and SSI(he recieves one from his father dying and one for being mentally disabled..im not sure which one is which but he recieves both.)Anyways my question is, is my daughter intitled to a check of her own or a check that she could get under her fathers name. He is 25 and has only been working since he was 21 off and on...he'll work for 2 months then quit because he says he doesnt want social secruity to find out hes working and making money. We have been split up for 6 months and i havent gotten anything from him, and he says if he has to pay child support he will never work again. Is there anything i can do about this? To be completly honest im not even sure if hes completely disabled because i have been with him when he has been to the doctor and the doctor always asks him if hes working and why he still has a check. He's been getting a check since he was 2, his mother put him and his 3 siblings on checking including herself. Anyways is there anything i can do being im supporting her all on my own with no help from him?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 726

Posted on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 11:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If your daughter's father gets a check based on his own earnings record, his kids might be entitled to a check. If he does not have an earnings record, he will not get this sort of check.

If he is getting SSI, his kids will not get a check.

If he is getting benefits as a child of a deceased wagearner, and if he became disabled before age 21, which it sounds like he is, his kids will not get a check.

There is the separate question of whether you can get child support in Family Court. This is a state law question, and I cannot give you a definite answer, but if I were you I would talk to a local lawyer or legal aid about getting this.

mickey
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 6:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I ama little confused about spouse/family benefits. I am applying for social security diability. My record shows that my payment will be about $1,600 and the family maziumu is about $2,500. I iknow that I would get the $1,600 regardless (if approved). Quesiton 1 - do my wife and kids get the full $2.500 or the difference ($900) split between them? Question 2 - I have a wife and three minor children. As one child turns 18 does the family amount stay the same with the remaining kids/wife receiving higher individual amounts? Question 3 - if my wife is off and I only have one child under 18 dows he receive the entire family amount? Thnaks for hopefully clearing up a very muddy matter.

Mickey
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 5:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Please allow me to correct the many misspelled words for clarity.

I am a little confused about spouse/family benefits. I am applying for social security diability. My record shows that my payment will be about $1,600 and the family maximum is about $2,500. I know that I would get the $1,600 regardless (if approved). Quesiton 1 - do my wife and kids get the full $2.500 or the difference ($900) split between them? Question 2 - I have a wife and three minor children. As one child turns 18 does the family amount stay the same with the remaining kids/wife receiving higher individual amounts? Question 3 - if my wife is off and I only have one child under 18 does he receive the entire family amount? Thnaks for hopefully clearing up a very muddy matter.

Scott Behrendt
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 2:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Paul. I've tried posting several times but can never find my original post or your reply so please bear with me...

I'm 44 and have a high school diploma. I was a route salesman for a snack company for the past 12 years up until 2 years ago when my orthopedic surgeon placed me on long term disability. Being a route salesman/vendor is all I have ever done.

Two years ago, I was treated for osteoarthritis of the knee without success and now my only option is a total knee replacement. I also need to have my 'good' knee scoped and the pain in both knees is constant and I can never predict when they'll buckle on me. In May '04, I was experiencing dibilitating pain in my lower back and extremeties and diagnosed with a herniated disk at L4-5. After no success with two epidurals and electrolysis, surgery was performed last week. It's too early to say how effective the microdiscectomy is at this time. The latest diagnosis is advanced degenerative disc disease and changes, compressions at several levels and after I heal from this surgery, I'll need two fusions at the cervical level. I've had 3 MRI's with two of them on the back. The dr. also indicated that I'm at 'high risk' for two herniations above and below the L4-5 levels.

I had applied for SSDI back in May, 02 when I was originally placed on LTD for my knee and denied. I haven't been able to work in two years. Now I've applied again. This time SSDI has contacted me requesting additional information (I didn't receive that request the first time).

Unfortunately, the neurosurgeon who performed my operation says he can't include the 'high risk' statement in his post-op report because it is subjective (although clearly supported by the MRI). Here are some questions I have:

1. What do you think my chances are of being awarded SSDI this time?
2. The predicted amount of monthly benefit is roughly $1,288.00. I have 3 children, 17 (graduated from high school), 15 yrs. and 3 yrs. What type of benefit amount could they possibly receive?
3. My wife makes a significant income as a speech therapist outside the home. Does that mean she would not qualify for spouse benefits?
4. If awarded SSDI, how far back could they go with payments?

Thanks so much for your help!

Scott Behrendt
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 10:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I found the answer for questions 2 and 3 from a friend who just received an award for SSDI. He had to apply twice and did not use a lawyer. Guess it was one of those rare cases...

My children should receive about 1/2 of my benefit with each getting a check of about $214.00

My wife will not qualify for mother's benefits.

Paul, when offering an opinion for my case, I failed to mention that I was told by SSDI people to include EVERYTHING - even an 'ingrown toenail'. So, I listed all the medications and other conditions which are: hypertension, high cholesterol, diet controlled diabetes, and depression. So, now what do you think? BTW, I'm headed back to the dr. this afternoon. Still in too much pain and it looks like the incision from surgery is infected. Will this never end?! Thanks!

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 762

Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 5:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Paul. I've tried posting several times but can never find my original post or your reply so please bear with me...

Sorry; that's often a problem; search on your own name.

1. What do you think my chances are of being awarded SSDI this time?

You certainly have a good shot at it. Be sure you are going to a doc who will help. And I would hire an attorney and keep appealing. LTD generally uses a tougher standard after 2 years, and they can simply stop paying a check and say, "sue us," so you need to get on Social Security if you can't work. If you have been turned down once, which you have, you certainly should get a lawyer.

2. The predicted amount of monthly benefit is roughly $1,288.00. I have 3 children, 17 (graduated from high school), 15 yrs. and 3 yrs. What type of benefit amount could they possibly receive?

EACH child gets 1/2 of your benefit amount; but then the entire family is limited to the "family maximum" which varies depending on your benefit amount. As a wild guess, you and the kids together would probably get something less than $2,000.

3. My wife makes a significant income as a speech therapist outside the home. Does that mean she would not qualify for spouse benefits?

Almost certainly not; her benefits are regulated exactly like those of someone between 62 and 65 with earnings. But she should not cut back to get benefits. The two kids will exhaust the family maximum, so that even if she quit work the total to the family would not increase.

4. If awarded SSDI, how far back could they go with payments?

Whichever is later, 5 months after you became disabled, or a year before your application.

Which application? You can certainly use your present one. If you are lucky your judge will re-open your old one, since it has not been 4 years (It would be 2 if you had an SSI claim); but if he does not it is hard to appeal

5. Most LTD policies reduce benefits once you start getting Social Security, and want a bunch of money back, but it is very important that you file anyway, for reasons set out in detail on the site under that topic.

Jimmy Ray Wix (Jrw87)
Username: Jrw87

Post Number: 1

Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 1:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am confused,I am 35 years old,married with 4 children. When I was about 23 I started having health problems and started recieving SSI disability because I have Epilepsy. Back then I was told that my children would only recieve $96.00 per month from my SSI and with 4 kids it is a struggle. That's not per child,but for all 4 together. I don't get any medical benefits(only a part A only Medicare card that is only useful for over night stays in the hospital)I met a man who told me that he gets SSI also,but each of his kids recieve about $400.00 each per month because of his SSI. Should my children be receiving more than this and should I not be getting some sort of medical card because of my disability? Thank you,Jimmy Ray Wix,Franklin,Ky

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 857

Posted on Sunday, November 14, 2004 - 6:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You say that you are drawing SSI, but I will assume that you are drawing Social Security disability, because you must get some sort of Social Security check in order to get a check for your kids.

The amount of Social Security disability benefits you and your children get is based on your earnings. If they are low, your check will be low, too, and so will your kids' checks.

susiejane
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 4:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi, i was just awarded my ssd and will be getting my lump sum. i have 3 kids who were under 18 when i became unable to work in 2001 that are now 18 and over. i had it very hard raising them without my paycheck.i was told by someone that the checks that are awarded for them for the time they were 18 and under (and still living under my roof and while i was paying all the bills) would go to them. they are very young and immature- is this true and if so can they be put in a trust at my request? thanks susie

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 859

Posted on Sunday, November 14, 2004 - 6:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You were told correctly. The check will go to them if you do nothing about it. At 18 we are treated as adults, absent some showing of incompetence. That is not a good idea if you ask me, but it is the law.

If you can show to the Socail Security Administration that someone 18 or 81 cannot handle his own check, you can get a representative payee appointed.

c .branch

Posted on Monday, September 03, 2001 - 12:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

if the child is 16 and not in school and not living with parents is the child qualified to receive a payment

Reply by Paul Let me restate the question to be sure I understand it:

If I am disabled and drawing Social Security Disability, or retired, and I have a 16 year old who is in fact dependant on me, can that child draw a check off of my record?

The answer to that question is yes. It is irrelevant that the child is not living with you. It is irrelevant that the child is not going to school, but that would matter if the child was 19. In that case the child has to be going to high school.

cindy

Posted on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 9:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WILL MY SON STILL RECEIVE SSI BENEFIT ,IF HE IS 19 WHEN HE GRADUATES FROM HIGH SCHOOL

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 5:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If he continues to be disabled, yes. The benefit that is cut off is the benefit that of a healthy child of a disabled worker.

scrappingqueen@aol.com
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi I have a few questions, but 1st a little background. We are in North Carolina My husband (now) and I were together 8 years before we got married. We have one child together. I have 2 from a previous disaster (marriage). When he was diagnosed with Terminal Cancer 2 yrs ago. I have filed for his diability and he was approved along with our youngest. The SS admin. said my oldest 2 children could draw from thier *dad* once we were married one calendar year and the income would increase to the maxuim benefit. Ok so this past june was one year. We I called to file for them they said No. They (all 3 children) would draw the same 518 split 3 ways. No increase until after he dies. then the older 2 will get a check. Can someone PLEASE help me. Scrappingqueen@aol.com
Brenda

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 894

Posted on Friday, November 19, 2004 - 5:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I hate to say it, but I think they are right.

I assume that all your children are minors, that your current husband is the one with cancer, that he was the stepfather of the 2, and that he provided more than half their support.

Theoretically the dependents can each get up to 1/2 his benefit amount if he is disabled, and 3/4 of it, each, if he is deceased. But the practical limit is usually the family maximum, which is a figure that is calculated in a complex way. It is usually pretty close to the amount of the disabled person's check if his check is around $500 or less, and maybe around $2,000 if his check is as much as $1,000. The disabled person and all dependents, taken together, can draw, in total, only the family maximum.

Again, theoretically, you might be able to get a check as those children's mother, if you don't have an income yourself.

With as many dependents as you have, at your benefit amount, as a practical matter both while he is alive and after, the family will probably draw in total about the same amount - the family maximum.

Marshel
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 1:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can Group LTD carrier offset total amount of SSA benefits for primary as well as dependent child's benefits without there being a threshold applied for example allowed to receive 75% or 80% of pre-disability salary? 42USC424 statutes provides that where an individual receives both SSDI and worker compensation or public disability ensures sum of DIB benefits do not exceed 80% of pre-disability earnings. Just how valid is this?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 920

Posted on Wednesday, December 01, 2004 - 1:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

42 USC Sec. 424 does not apply to LTD. The LTD carrier can do whatever the LTD policy says it can do; check your policy.

Jack
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 2:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am paying child support, right now for about four more years. My daughter maybe totally disable. I need to know if I will be paying child support for the rest of life because of this. My ex-wife is also hiding the fact that my daughter is getting SSI.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 932

Posted on Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 7:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is a Family law question, and I am not so good at answering these. Talk to an attorney in your state.

Netitia Jones
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, January 01, 2005 - 7:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a son who's dad is receiving SSI. I have been to court and the judge determined that if my son was to get any type of support it would have to be voluntarily given from his dad. In other words, his father didn't have to give any money from his SSI check. In spite of my efforts...my son gets nothing from his dad! Yet and still, his father continues to impregnate different women. My son has nine other siblings by his dad; another girl is pregnant carrying his child. Is there a law that doesn't condone this irresponsibility...I mean why keep making children if you can not afford to support them...disable or what have you? Am I making sense?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 989

Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 3:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There certainly should be. All I know about is Social Security and your question goes beyond it.

There are states and judges that will order a father who is drawing SSI to pay child support. Tell him to try fathering a child in South Carolina and see what happens.

Sharyn (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 9:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am 18 years old, attending my first year of college. My parents have been divorced since right after I was born, and since even before then my father has been disabled. He didn't file for social security benefits until a few months ago, when I also had to sign paperwork. Today I received a check in the mail for his disability. Is this back pay? I really don't understand why I got the check since I'm neither a minor nor a high school student anymore. And they didn't give me a letter or anything, just an envelope with a check in it. Can you tell me if this was a one time thing (it was only $2000.00)?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1015

Posted on Saturday, February 19, 2005 - 6:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Probably, though that is a guess. To be sure, call the lawyer who handled the case, if there is one. If not, get all the notices from your dad and try to piece them together, or go down to the Administration.

The general rule is that if a worker is entitled to a check for a month, and he has paid enough in, his minor kids, that is, kids under 18, are entitled to a check for that month, too. If they don't get around to paying this check until you grow up, then you get it sent to you directly.

A child who is 18 can also get a check if she is going to high school. If you don't prove it, they will assume you were not going to school and stop the check when you turned 18.

If they calculated it wrong, you have 60 days to appeal the decision.

60 days from what? Good question! A lot of times they think they sent you a notice, it never comes, but it is difficult to prove it didn't, so if you are not sure, get right down there.

ashleyverhaagh (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 6:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have 2 questions. My first is my father become disabled when I was not yet 18, am I eligable for back pay once he is approved. The second question is there anything out there for me after I reach the age of 19 and am a full-time college student and have no income, I also live at home during the summer and come home most weekends to help my father out.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1086

Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 1:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Q. My father become disabled when I was not yet 18, am I eligable for back pay once he is approved.

A. If he has worked enough to be eligible for Social Security Disability, and has earned a substantial amount of money, yes.

Q. The second question is there anything out there for me after I reach the age of 19 and am a full-time college student and have no income?

A. Not from the Social Security program unless you are disabled. You must be disabled or a full time high school student if you are 18 in order to draw off of your parents.

lacey Clark
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 11:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My parents have been divorced for 17 years. I will be turning 18 in the next couple of months. My mom is on disability and i have recieved nothing from her. Should i be getting some kind of social security check from her?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 776

Posted on Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 7:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The short answer is, "no," but that is misleading.

Minors do not get checks of any sort from the Administration.

They have to have a "representative payee" who gets any check they are due. The payee is supposed to save or spend it for their benefit, and you can complain to the Administration if the payee does not; try to get the money spent properly, and try to get the payee changed.

The child of a disabled person might or might not be entitled to a check sent, for their benefit, to a representative payee.

If your mother is getting SSI, there is no check due to you through a payee or otherwise.

If your mother is getting a Social Security Disability check, or for that matter a retirement check, and her check is small, you are due no check.

If it is larger, you might be entitled to have a check paid to a representative payee for you.

The Administration usually, but does not always, select your custodal parent to be your representative payee.

Once you turn 18 you are no longer a minor, and you can have any check you are due paid directly to you.

If you are disabled yourself, you can continue getting checks indefinitely on your mother's record. (or if you become disabled before age 22). If not, your right to benefits on her record usually ends when you turn 18, unless you are going to high school full time, in which case you can draw till you stop going or turn 19.

Terikaram (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 3:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My sons' father was killed on April 4th of this year and I have been told to apply for his SSI, he was 35 and worked many jobs, maybe not for long periods, but he has worked some. Do you think my sons will receive any benefits? How do I obtain his earnings record?

Anonymous

Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 12:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I want to Know is there a website where you can find out if you were granted foodstamps and medical benefits after you have applied for them with the dept of welfare .

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1157

Posted on Saturday, May 07, 2005 - 7:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous: I am sorry, I do not know.

Lori green (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, May 02, 2005 - 5:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I applied for ssdi in January 2005. DDS in florida approved on March 2, 2005. It was then sent to quality review. It was sent to the payment center on April 7, 2005 what does this mean? Is this a good sign?How long a process is the payment cneter? No award letter yet.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1156

Posted on Saturday, May 07, 2005 - 7:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Q. It was sent to the payment center on April 7, 2005 what does this mean?

A. "Payment Center" means just what it sounds like.

Q. Is this a good sign?

A. A very good sign.

Q. How long a process is the payment cneter? No award letter yet.

A. A month or two, if there is no hitch. Hang in a little while longer.

dallen (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 6:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i am new to this site, anyway i spoke to the dds person who is handling my case and she told me that she made an decision on may 25 and that she sent it over for two doctors to sign off on it . this is my scond time trying the first time i was denied because they said that i was still able to do a light work this time i have more medical evidence like major depression which i had since 1998 this time i have more proof from my doctors and their doctors they both gave me a gaf score of 50. do this seems like i have a chance of getting the disability or not. my medical conditions are head contusion, rheumatoid arthritis, carpal tunnel, scoliosis, torn rotator cuff, hematomas, mitral valve prolapse, an miniscus tear in my knee, colapsed three times on the job, and body retains fluid. i worked as an nurse. for 15 years. also i have three children, ss said that i would qualify for about 1480 amonth and the maxium household is 2680. what do that mean for my kids if i am approved. thank you

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1256

Posted on Monday, July 04, 2005 - 8:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You certainly sound like you have problems to me, but I would guess that the evidence before the Administration is not clear. If you are denied again you should hire an attorney and let her help you figure out what is missing from the record, or what is in it that is hurting you.

Your kids will get a check if you win, but the maximum for all people in your household is $2,680.

A Wilson (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 11:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
My daughter's father has just been accepted for SSDI,he has recently received his back payment check and I assume from now on a monthly check will be forthcoming.
Though we were never married, his name is on my child's birth certificate and he acknowledges her as his child. He has, however, never paid child support (we live in different States). They keep in frequent contact and she has vacationed with him during Summer holidays.
Friends have told me that my daughter should be eligible for some kind of help now, either payment from SSDI or from his monthly check.
He would have no problem claiming her if she was entitled to a monthly check of her own, I'm not so sure how ameniable he would be if I was to ask for child support and it came out of his own check. He has worked all of his life except the last four years when he became permanently disabled. My daughter is thirteen.
Any information would be helpful.
Thank you.

A Wilson (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 11:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I should also mention that my ex has an ongoing claim for workman's comp which looks like it might be settled this month. Will that affect his SSDI?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1252

Posted on Monday, July 04, 2005 - 6:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You have a case that might be simple, and might be extremely complex. File a claim and see what happens; if you don't get benefits, hire an attorney. You should also consider a quick child support claim if he is getting a lump sum from worker's compensation.

I am not really answering your questions because the outcome turns on so many factors that I don't know. You really should talk to an attorney.

Imogene Colwell (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 11:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

how can I find out if my ex. daughter in law is drawing social security on my grandson (who is LIVING with ME and not getting one dime from her in any way? Her name is Melissa Needler. Her social security is 304-96-6201
Thank You

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1250

Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2005 - 4:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try taking some sort of proof that he is living with you down to the Social Security Administration and apply to be his "Representative Payee."

okra (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 10:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i was approved for my disability, and recieved my back pay, will my son recieve back-pay also?

okra (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 10:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i was approved for my disability, and recieved my back pay, will my son recieve back-pay also?

Jeffrey Allen Pedrin (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 11:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I jEFF p received my back social security lump sum and put it in the bank well the freind of the court took all of my lump sum. I later got a letter from social security and the freind of the court is going to take of my monthy check. However thats not all i later got another letter from and old child support case where my daughter is now 28 years old and from the years when was incarcerated from 1980 to 1988 after the date she was addoped so now they left me with 150.00 to live on for a month i also have a two year old daughter who lives with me and we can not live on 150.00 a month.Can you tell me what to do? I have talked to lawyers they will take the case however i have no money to give its all in the freind of the courts hand.I have tryed everything and i can not get any help. Thank you for your time jeff p

George (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 2:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am the father of a 24 year old disabled son (Downs Syndrome) that is currently receiving SSI ($286/month). I have not yet retired, just 60 years old, but am considering letting him live and work at an institution, earning less than $70 per month, so he will not loose the SSI money.

The cost of this institution is $2200 per month.

My question is, will his SSI benefits be increased to the larger amount, I think about $580 per month, if he were living there? Also, after I retire will he be able to receive half my Social Security benefits to help with the costs?

Additionally, not sure if you can answer this, can I rollover a 401k account to a Special Needs Trust.

Thank you for your time….

Anonymous

Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 2:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was recently approved for social security disability. My husband's son from a previous marriage has never been dependent on me for any support since his child support has always been paid from my husbands wages. Why would a check go to his ex-wife for his son? Shouldn't that check go to us to assist us for our end of child support and medical bills, since my not working has made this expense difficult to pay? It seems unfair that the ex-wife would receive benefits based on my disability, we struggle and she profits, and yet we will still be required to pay child support, etc. Would we have any chance of receiving these benefits to cover our expenses for him? If the son receives benefits, our children living with us would receive less. Do we HAVE to ask for benefits for him also? Wouldn't providing her with a check break confidentiality, she has no idea why I haven't been working, we've kept my health problems private. Thank you for your time.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1351

Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 12:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can certainly go down to the Social Security office and ask for the money. There is a strong tendancy to give the check to the person who has custody, but that is not a firm rule, and of course even that rule would not apply in a joint custody situation. You need to try to convince the Administration that you would be responsible with the money. Take care.

Anonymous

Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 3:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My husband and father to our 2 children died when they were 6&8.They received SS until they graduated high school, however, our government does not feel as though they need financial help getting through college. Since I have been supporting us with one paycheck, I can not help pay for college and have some less than perfect credit due to several issues several years ago. Is there any funding with SS to help with their college. Both are in Clemson and I struggle to keep my head above water.Rose

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1477

Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 12:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rose: No, but a lot of colleges have loans and scholarships, particularly if their grades are good.

Ken (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 11:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

My son was diagosed with aspergers syndrome at about age 7. He is now 16 and we had him tested again, his results came back again as aspergers syndrome. When we met with the doctor she told us at age 18 he would be elligable for SS disablity payments. I know that he would not be eligable before 18 because, according to the government, we make to much money.

My questions are will he really be able to get SSD, how do we start, do they count his parents income even after he is 18.

I hope we will be able to find a job he will be able to do, but the SSD is still very important as he has several other "problems" that require a lot of medicines, without being of SSD he will have no insurance.

Thanks for the advise

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1476

Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 12:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Q. Will he really be able to get SSD?

A. Probably.

Q. How do we start

A. When he turns 18, call 1 800 772 1213 and press 0 slowly each time a new voice comes on the phone, or go to www.ssa.gov.

Q. Do they count his parents income even after he is 18.

A. No.

Q. I hope we will be able to find a job he will be able to do

A. Yes; most folks are better off working.

Q. But the SSD is still very important as he has several other "problems" that require a lot of medicines, without being of SSD he will have no insurance.

A. Right, that is often an insoluable problem in the US.
Thanks for the advise

JENNIFER CARTER-ESTES (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, September 17, 2005 - 2:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I REALLY NEED TO KNOW - IF MY EX-HUSBAND WERE ON DISABILITY (HE HAS NOT PAID CHILD SUPPORT IN > 10 YEARS - WAS ORDERED TO, BUT MOVED TO NC AND I COULD NOT AFFORD TO PURSUE) WOULD MY CHILDREN BE ELIGIBLE FOR ANY BENEFITS - IF SO, HOW WOULD I GO ABOUT FINDING OUT IF HE WERE RECEIVING BENEFITS - I HAVE HIS SS# & DOB - EVERY OTHER TIME I HAVE TRIED TO COLLECT CHILD SUPPORT HE HAS MOVED - AND I DIDN'T KNOW IF THIS WOULD BE A POSSIBLE WAY TO COLLECT SOME AMOUNT OF MONEY FOR THEM - ANY HELP AT ALL IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1474

Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 12:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jennifer:

I REALLY NEED TO KNOW - IF MY EX-HUSBAND WERE ON DISABILITY WOULD MY CHILDREN BE ELIGIBLE FOR ANY BENEFITS

Possibly.

- IF SO, HOW WOULD I GO ABOUT FINDING OUT IF HE WERE RECEIVING BENEFITS - I HAVE HIS SS# & DOB

Take them to the Social Security office and ask them if he is getting benefits.

-- AND I DIDN'T KNOW IF THIS WOULD BE A POSSIBLE WAY TO COLLECT SOME AMOUNT OF MONEY FOR THEM -

Possible, but not certain.

(HE HAS NOT PAID CHILD SUPPORT IN > 10 YEARS - WAS ORDERED TO, BUT MOVED TO NC AND I COULD NOT AFFORD TO PURSUE) EVERY OTHER TIME I HAVE TRIED TO COLLECT CHILD SUPPORT HE HAS MOVED

I suggest that you keep pursuing him. Talk to a good family court lawyer in your area, and in the area where you last lived together as husband and wife.

ANY HELP AT ALL IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Sure.

Brenda Cobb (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 11:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My husband was getting a disability check, he died Sept. 8, 2005. I am his spouse, age 51, am I not eligible to draw from his disabilty check. I sent an e mail to SS and from what I read, if you were 50 or above you could get benefits or money from his disabilty check also.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1472

Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Only if he is deceased, or if you have his child in your care.

Anonymous

Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 - 3:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My ex-husband owes over $40,000 in back child support. He was just recently approved for disabilty benefits. Under the laws of The State of Alabama will my children recieve his back time disabilty lump sum payment towards what he owes on child support?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1473

Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 12:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are certain kinds of disability payments for which the custodian of a child can usually get benefits. You should go down to the Social Security office RIGHT NOW. Occasionally, the noncustodial parent will claim custody, and the Administration will give the child's money to a ne'r-do-well.

Tonya Teague (Tonyateague)
Username: Tonyateague

Post Number: 1

Posted on Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 8:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My husband receives disability for an injury and can no longer work. He is divorced and has joint custody with a week on week off visitation schedule for both parents. His ex spouse files one child on her taxes and he files one child on his taxes, who gets the ss check for these children. He is receiving them now, do we have to turn one of them over to her because she files one child on her taxes or does he keep both of them because he has them as much as she does and has joint custody and he is the one disabled

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1092

Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 6:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tonya: As representative payee, he has to spend every dime of both checks on the children, and he has to keep such records so that he will be able to prove that almost forever. The best way to do that is by setting up a checking account, and write each check in such a way that you can prove where every penny was spent.

dianehenderson (Dianehenderson)
Username: Dianehenderson

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 8:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just got approved for ssi disability I have a monor child. I gave all of this info when I first applied. will hid benefits be inclided in my back pay or do I have to let them know again.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1091

Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 5:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Diane: Go down and tell them again. For all they know you might have given the kids to their dad in Arkansas.

fredrika singleton (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 2:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

what determines a childs disiability because my daughter wased deniend before an im reapplying for disabilitiy shes speech delayed has very bad asthma an is emotionally disstressd i think if shes evauated they would be able to see that. but before it was just her speech i applied for. i dont know but i do know i cant keep a steady job because shes always sick.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1093

Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 6:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fredrika: Any of those problems can be disabling if they are severe enough, and if you have the medical evidence to prove they are severe. I suggest you get your child's medical records and sit down with a lawyer who handles a lot of disability claims.

Take care.

Lisa C (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 6:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My ex husband has just started receiving his disability check. I have full custody of our daughter, which he has visitation rights. He is behind in child support about 15,000. My question is i have worked 2 to 3 jobs all these years to support my family.we are doing ok i would say. I am just wondering will he only be responsible for paying his child support or would my daughter receive anything more. He keeps saying he told them he has a daughter but i have not given him any info regarding social security numbers or anything. I do know he received i guess a back payment. he states he is going to start sending his child support. I just dont know where to go for answers. Can you help?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1090

Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 5:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lisa: I can help a little by saying that you must go down to the local Social Security office and apply for your child's benefit yourself! It is perfectly possible that he has told them that the child is living with him, an he has gotten the lump sum and is getting the monthly checks!

Andrea G. (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 5:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I originally filed for SSDI back in Jan, 2005 & on my application I indicated I have an 11 yr old child. After being denied originally, I filed for an appeal hearing & hired an attorney. On Feb. 2, 2006 I had my hearing, and then on Feb. 18 I received a letter from the ALJ stating I had a "fully favorable" decision. I reside in Michigan & believe the wait is approx. 1-2 months before I get my benefits. My questions are: Will they automatically include the benefits for my child or do I need to apply for them separately? I'm approved for $1750 per month...how much would she be entitled to? Thank you!

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1089

Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 5:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Andrea: You should probably go down and apply for your children's benefits after your award. So much time passes between the application and the award that the Social Security Administration wisely requires this, so that they don't send checks to a person who is no longer caring for the kids. The amount is hard to guess. Each child starts off being entitled to half your benefit amount, but ther is a "family maximum" which is different for each person that almost always serves to cut the children's checks down from 50%.

Anonymous

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 11:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My daughter is diagnosed with adhd, bipolar, thought disorder yadayadayada. She received ssi benefits prior to our adopting her. Now she is 18 and will need benefits again. Can we just restart her prior benefits or does an entire new application need to be submited?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1088

Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 4:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous: A new application, if the old SSI benefits have been stopped a year.

Exausted (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 10:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Never married to my 7 yr old daughter's father. He has never paid support. Didn't pursue it due to his drinking. He has seen her a handful of times since March 99. He married in Oct '99 and supports 2 kids (not his). I got a phone call from him out of the blue Nov 3, 05 after nothing for 2 yrs, stating that he has not worked for 3 yrs, is receiving benefits, and she has money coming. I applied the very next day, they said I would receive in 30-45 days, have yet to see anything. Have called and visited the office 7 times. Always give me the same "It's complicated. You should have it in 30 days." Was told it was because there were attorneys, worker's comp, and his (biological) kids involved. THEN find out he has been collecting since AUG 05! 1) Why is it taking so long, and what can I do about it? 2) Can I also collect child support from his benefits? Thank you for your anticipated response.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1087

Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 4:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Exhausted, I can't say. you might try talking to a local lawyer or legal aid. If he has worked enough and paid in, his kids might be entitled to something. If he is drawing worker's comp, there might be an offset that eats it up. Child support is a family law question, and I would go to a family lawyer and see if he or she can nail him.

jlevans (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 12:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

what is the percentage rate a child recieves of his fathers ssd i am tryin to figure out how much my son should recieve from me

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1083

Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 5:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, theoretcally, if a child is receiving from a deceased parent, he gets 75% of what the parent would have gotten, and if off of a retired or disabled parent, 50%.

But there is a "Family Maximum" that is the limit on all the checks that everyone can draw off of one record. For that reason, usually the child does not draw as much as that, especially if there are several children.

libbyshowalter (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 5:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a 8 yr old diagonsed with bipolar and sensory intragretion dysfunction. I applied almost 2 years ago for SSI for him at our local office in Lex, KY. I was denied because my child receives SSI payments from his father. We were divorced when I applied and I asked them couldn't they just stop the SSI payment that he receives from his father, and he can apply for SSI on his own. Answer was NO. SSA did however tell me to go apply for a medical card. In 2005, my son was hosptialized for his illness and I did go down and apply for a medical card for him. One week later I received a letter for DCFS saying the application was denied because of income. If you have any advice, or direction, I am just trying to get a medical card based on disability along so that my son can receive the PT and OT services he has to have. Thank you.

Anonymous

Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 1:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I receive SSD payments for PTSD and Depression. My biggest symptoms are continuous exhaustion and oversleeping. I am trying to get better, and would like to plan to have a child in a couple years. Assuming I am still receiving SSD payments when I become pregnant, how does the the SSA look upon this situation -- will they presume that I am recovered and my pregnancy is equivelent to employment? I would plan to rely on relatives and hired help to assist with raising a child if I'm unable to care for my child myself. Is this a very important factor? Thank you.

jamie (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 8:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just received the letter from my lawyer telling me that I need to call or go by my local office to apply for my dependent children to be entitled to their benefits. He said that my payment will be 854 dollars a month. I have 2 children, one 10 and one 14 months. How much in family benefits will they be entitled to? Will the receive back pay from July 2004 (for the 10 year old) and for the past 14 months for the younger child?
Also, it says that I will get a medicaid card until I get medicare in july 2006. Can I file alal the medicines that I have had to pay for on medicaid for retroactive pay?

thank you

inquiry mines (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 6:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i would like to know if a father who was unable to keep a job for a long period of time and have two children i had filed for child support previously but case went dropped. i want to know if he about to receive ssi,ssdi, or ss will his two children be entitled.

teresadavoren (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, April 24, 2006 - 8:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My daughter receives a check each month because her daddy is on disablity.She is 16 and we are wondering can she get a job and still get the check every month or will a job interfer with the check?

PAULA JORDAN (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 6:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HI I HAVE A 11YEAR OLD DAUGHTER AND HER FATHER JUST STARTED RECEIVING SSI BENEFITS (WE THINK)THAT IT IS SSI BUT NOT SURE NOBODY WILL GIVE ME ANY INFO ON WHAT THE BENIFITS ARE THEY KEEP TELLING ME ITS PERSONAL INFO HE HAS NOT PAID CHILD SUPPORT FOR OVER A YEAR AND IM WANTING TO KNOW HOW LONG IT TAKES IF MY DAUGHTER IS ELIGABLE FOR A CHECK TO START RECEIVING IT AND HOW DO I GO ABOUT FINDING OUT WHAT TYPE OF BENIFITS SHE IS ELIGIBLE FOR I HAVE SOLE CUSTODY OF HER AND I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY IM NOT ENTITLED TO THIS INFO WHO DO I CALL SSA DOESNT WANT TO BE HELPFULL?

Elizabeth Morris (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 7:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, I have a question, I have been disabled since birth. Since my separation and divorce back in 2001, I have received SSI. I would like to know if I am elgible to draw off my deceased fathers social security as his disabled daughter since I have been married at one time. He worked his entire life and lived only a few years beyond retirement. The amount of monthly payments with SSI is very small compared to being able to draw form his social secutiry.

valerie smith (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 11:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

my husband has a 14 year old son, he has been on worker's comp since 2003, and has never missed a child suport payment. We live in New york State. He has judt been approved for social security disability retro to may 2003, the mother of his child says she is entitiled to 17% of his retro money. She will be receiving retro money and benefits for her son. How can this be.

rhonda rinehart (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 7:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hello, quick question! My ex has been paying child support for 10 years a min, never paid ins or excercised rights to visit now getting social security we get a check for that the child support did not stop he is going to court to get that removed, can that be done? I thought his child benefit check we recieve is a whole other matter and the child support is still to be paid? How can he get out of that obligation to me?

lamarp (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 10:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was approved for disability then applied for my stepson and he was denied. His mother and I have been married for more than 10 yrs. we put our income together until I did not have any income. how do they come up with this decision.

license key acdsee
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out  
license key acdsee
This site is maintained by Paul McChesney, an attorney who has been practicing disability law for around 25 years in North and South Carolina.

If the subject of disability is important to you, or if you want to find out more about us, you should explore the rest of this site. To do so, go to our homepage, Carolina-disability.com.

Please don't take anything on this site as legal advice! Nor should you take any action, or fail to take any action, based on any communication provided through this site. Before doing that, it would be wise to sit down and talk to an attorney in his or her office. Please also see our disclaimer at this link: Disclaimer. We want to be as helpful as we can be on a website; please thank us by doing this.