Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Q. about What Happens after a Favorab...
serial 9.4.2.37
Social-Security-Disability-Forum » Q. about What Happens after a Favorable Decision  

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        
serial 9.4.2.37

serial 9.4.2.37
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

betty jo

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)serial 9.4.2.37

Posted on Friday, November 02, 2001 - 5:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

when do you get your check after the judge approves you for ssi. also when does the back payment go back to what date is it the first time you apply or the last time you apply?
thanks

Reply by Paul when do you get your check after the judge approves you for ssi. also when does the back payment go back to what date is it the first time you apply or the last time you apply?
thanks

Around here, in an SSI only case, about 3 weeks after the favorable decision you are called to the local Social Security office to update your income and resources - that is, to make sure you have not inherited a bunch of money or anything like that. Roughly a month and a half after that you might get your back time check and start getting your monthly check.

You will wait forever if you don't go down and produce all of the documents they ask for.

The time will vary a lot around the country.

The back payment in an SSI case is supposed to be for all months starting the later of when you applied or when you became disabled. If you have had several applications, sometimes but not always you can get benefits back to the date of an earlier application.

If the Administration allows you, but at a later date than the date you think you became disabled, you can appeal that. But be careful, the whole case is on appeal.

Mike

Posted on Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 12:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

About how long after the judge sent me my favorable decision should I get my first check and back pay. I called the local office and they said it was at the Baltimore paying office...Thanks

Mike

Posted on Monday, September 30, 2002 - 10:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On my question above it is for SSD, I saw the answer for SSI and did not know if it was the same amount of time...Mike

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Friday, October 04, 2002 - 6:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Right. It is not the same amount of time. There are two answers, depending. If you have a Social Security Disability case and do not have an SSI case, right now around here, and I think in most of the country, it is taking about 2 months from the date of your favorable decision at the ALJ level. At that point, you get a notice explaining how much you are entitled to, a lump sum check, and a monthly check, all within a few weeks of each other.

If you also have an SSI case, the answer is the same, except that the lump sum check, if any, comes much later; often as much as 3 months later. They have to send the SSI file to Baltimore where they calculate the SSI offset.

serial 9.4.2.37
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out  
serial 9.4.2.37
This site is maintained by Paul McChesney, an attorney who has been practicing disability law for around 25 years in North and South Carolina.

If the subject of disability is important to you, or if you want to find out more about us, you should explore the rest of this site. To do so, go to our homepage, Carolina-disability.com.

Please don't take anything on this site as legal advice! Nor should you take any action, or fail to take any action, based on any communication provided through this site. Before doing that, it would be wise to sit down and talk to an attorney in his or her office. Please also see our disclaimer at this link: Disclaimer. We want to be as helpful as we can be on a website; please thank us by doing this.