Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Q. about How Income and Resources Aff...
starcraft 1.11 nocdcrack
Social-Security-Disability-Forum » Q. about How Income and Resources Affect My Claim  

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Retirement payments online holdem poker7-26-06  4:01 am

Workcomp lumpsumphillip armenta 6-16-06  7:03 pm
Ssd work comp lump sumAnonymous7-18-06  5:29 pm
Ssd lump sumphillip 6-19-06  9:35 pm
  Start New Thread        
starcraft 1.11 nocdcrack

starcraft 1.11 nocdcrack
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)starcraft 1.11 nocdcrack

Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2001 - 4:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Note by Paul This section is intended to deal with how the income of the family affects the amount of your SSI, or Supplemental Security Income, check. You might also look at the subtopics on the main page that start "Q. about Working."

Linda J.

Rating: 
Votes: 2 (Vote!)starcraft 1.11 nocdcrack

Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2001 - 4:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been on disability in South Carolina for many years. I am having problems doing things for myself and my son who is in the Air Force in Illinois has offered to take me in. He says he may be able to make me a military dependent. If he should pursue this avenue, will I lose my disablity benefits and SSI? Has anyone ever heard of or had experience in this area?

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2001 - 3:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you or your spouse, or your parents if you are under 18, get income from any source, or if you are living for free in the household of another, your SSI benefits can be reduced, and sometimes eliminated.

One thing that helps is for you to try to show that you are paying your way by contributing to food and shelter expenses. If so, you might not be classed as living in the household of another, and not have your check reduced as much.

It is rare that income reduces Social Security Disability, however. If you receive worker's compensation benefits, or certain types of government retirement benefits, that can affect your check.

However,

Suzanne

Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2001 - 5:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My husband has been receiving Social Security Disability benefits since 1996. I have been a stay-at-home Mom and have an opportunity to work outside of the home. My question is: how will my income effect my husband's SS Disability benefits? I remember once being told by the SS Administration that a spouse was allowed to make up to $9600 per year without it reducing the disabled spouse's benefits but I can't find any information about that at the SS website or any place else. I would like to know if there is a maximum amount of income that is allowed from a non-disabled spouse before the disabled spouse's benefits are reduced, offset or eliminated or can I have my own income without it affecting my husband's disability benefits? References to SS publications would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reply by Paul The amount of Social Security disability that your husband gets, and the amount that his children get under his check, are not affected by your income. Make as much as you can. If he were drawing SSI, which is a check paid to people who have not worked enough to qualify for Social Security Disability, his check would be reduced if you make more than a certain amount.

SSI checks come in a blue envelope, often come on the first day of the month, and have the letters SSI before the dollar amount. Social Security checks often come on the third, come in a tan envelope, and have the words Soc Sec for Ins before the dollar amount. If you have direct deposit, you have to ask the Administration which it is. Have him call 1 800 772 1213.

Take care.

Janice

Posted on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 10:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am looking for the same kind of information regarding California. Would the rules regarding a spouse's income be the same as in Carolina? We were once told that my husband made too much income for me to quality for Social Security Disability.

Reply by Paul That would be true if you are applying for SSI, but your husband's income will not affect your ability for Social Security Disability. However, you have to have worked enough to qualify for that.

Bill Beers

Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2001 - 8:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a friend who is on SSI. This person may receive a large sum (over $10,000) as part of a settlement of spousal support. She is concerned because she thinks that Social Security may "take" the money from her or cut her off SSI until she has spent the money at the rate of her monthly benefit, $676.

A local SSI attorney told her that if she spends the money on transportation, I. E. a better car to travel to her medical appointments or on housing I. E. buying a home, that Social Security cannot do anything to her benefit or her settlement money.

What are the rules in this type of case? Is the attorney correct? Any wisdom and advice appreciated.

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Friday, June 01, 2001 - 6:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If she is truly drawing SSI, as opposed to Social Security Disability, she will certainly be disqualified for the month in which she receives the check. She can then put the money into various assets that the administration will ignore. The money should not be wasted, and you should put the money only in to exactly those assets that your attorney specifies.

One thing, though; are you sure it is SSI? If it is DIB, also called Social Security Disability Benefits, the money will have no effect on her check. To find out, look at a check, just before the dollar amount. If it says "Soc Sec For Ins," you are ok! Be sure, though!

Good luck.

Debra Holland

Posted on Friday, June 29, 2001 - 10:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm receiving $500.00 per month from my SSD and $50.00 a month from my SSI check.

I just read somewhere that persons on SSI cannot have more than $2,000.00 in the bank at the beginning of each month.

For the first time in 11 years, I will have over $2,000.00 in the bank, but only over by about $500.00.

Will I be cut off from my SSI? While I certainly need this $50.00 a month, It is imperative that I keep the medical benefits of medicare that are paid for by the SSI part.

I did earn this money over a period of six months, but I would not consider this gainful imployment. (it was quite a few "buy low sell high" transactions on ebay, is how I got the money)

It will be the first of the month in two days. I guess until I find out, I'll take the overage out of the bank and bury it under my mattress or in the back yard.

What is the law when one receives both SSD and SSI?

Reply by Paul:
Excellent question. Don't bury it, but don't keep it in the bank, either. There are a lot of "exempt assets" that you can put it in to. The best is your house if you are buying one. Just make some forward payments on the principal. Or do the same on any car payments, provided you don't have an expensive one. There are lots of other things you can put it in to. Don't waste it and don't hide it. If neither of those things work talk to a good attorney. Resources is a problem that a good attorney can almost always solve. Take care.

fundraiser

Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2001 - 12:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am raising funds for someone who receives SSI in need of a serious transplant which has not yet occured. Would this interfer, with SSI income requirements?

If so, are there anyways around this?

Reply by Paul: Excellent question! Don't give the person any of the money, if they are receiving Medicaid or SSI. If they are receiving Medicare or Social Security Disability, it is ok.

There are things you can do with the money. Contact an estate planning attorney or a Social Security attorney in your area. This work is a little specialized, so you will have to hunt around, but with proper planning, the person can get the benefit of the money without affecting his SSI or Medicaid.

ALEX RICHARDSON

Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2001 - 8:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I AM DISABLED,I RECEIVE SSI AND Social Sercurity,I AM WANTING TO BUY LAND HOW WILL THIS AFFECT THE AMOUNT THAT I RECEIVE? SHOULD I GET LEGAL HELP? DO I HAVE TO LIVE ON THE LAND? PLEASE NEED HELP IN TEXAS!

Paul McChesney

Posted on Friday, March 30, 2001 - 6:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Owning land might affect the amount of SSI you receive. If you live on it, and it is considered a part of your residence, it will not count.

Ownership of land will not affect Social Security benefits.

Mike Beale

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)starcraft 1.11 nocdcrack

Posted on Monday, May 28, 2001 - 1:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello: A friend of mine is eligible for Social Security but has not yet applied. She has recently suffered a heart attack that is likely to qualify her for Supplemental Security Income except that she has $40,000 in the bank. Is there any legal means of disposing of the income through: gifts to the family over a period of time, I believe I read it is OK to arrange funeral expenses but am uncertain if there is a set amount, perhaps purchasing a primary place of residence (she now rents), etc.? Just trying to find out what is allowed (if anything), I cannot find anywhere that answers this specific a question. Thank you

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Friday, June 01, 2001 - 7:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike, this is a complex question; there are a lot of ways to handle this problem. She should sit down with an attorney before she takes any further action.

Jane Jorgensen

Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 4:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

SSI possible? I have a grandson who is "developmentally delayed", otherwise undiagnosed. He has a severe speech problem, minor physical problems and is receiving speech therapy and occupational therapy through the school. He is 8 years old and working at the Kindergarten level in a special self contained class. This is his fourth year in school with special services. I personally think he has mild Cerebral Palsy, the latest Doctor suggested testing for Lead poisoning since his mother did soddering on her job when she was pregnant with him. He lives with me, his parents and 3 siblings in my home. I am self employed with a very small income. Their family income hovers at the poverty level. The children are presently on medicaid and have been on it continuosly for the past year. Previous to this they were sometimes eligible for medicaid and othertimes not, they have often had no medical insurance which is why we are only working towards a diagnosis at this time. Would my grandson be likely to qualify financially for SSI? Should my income be included as Household income, or should only his parents income be considered? My only asset is my home, which has a mortgage. If he is eligble for SSI could it throw him and his siblings off medicaid? Thank you for any clarity you can give to this situation.

Reply by Paul
Since you did not give your state, all I can say is maybe; contact an attorney in your state or contact legal aid. My guess is that he will qualify financially, and that it will not affect Medicaid, but you should not rely on my guess.

doug

Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 5:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have Apprx. $6000. in the california retirement
system(cal pers)and Im drawing SSI(maybe SSDI ?).
Whould my benifits be hurt if I withdrew my retirement?I would loose about $2200 in penaltes
already,but I need a car.I live in california.

Reply by Paul SSI is a needs based benefits; if you have money, they won't pay you. But they ignore the value of certain items, such as an inexpensive car. You can own an inexpensive car and still qualify. However, withdraw and spend the money in the same month; for that month and that month only, you will be disqualified.

SSDI is the Administration's code for Social Security Disability (Benefits) Insurance, which most people call Social Security Disability. If you are disabled and have worked enough, you can draw this no matter how much money you have.

To find out which you have, call 1 800 772 1213 and ask. If you do not have direct deposit, you can look at the envelope your check comes in. If it is blue, you are getting SSI; if tan, Social Security Disability.

I should, but frankly do not know if money in the California retirement system is counted as a resource for SSI purposes.

Take care.

cesar eyzaguirre

Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2001 - 11:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I'm 22 years old living in New Orleans, Louisiana. I've been on SSI for $530 for a little over three years, have been seeing a psychotherapist and am not on any medications. I have a serious problem and have no idea of where to go to look for help with it. I have a diagnosis of OCD and Social Phobia/Panic attacks. I'm fixing on getting a possibly two really well paying jobs that would allow me to work in an environment that would be suitable according to my mentall illness. Would this affect my receiving SSI? Should I wait until after January to get the two jobs? Should I go into it gradually as in working in one job part-time then moving gradually towards both? I also am attending a community college and plan on transferring to a four year university. I have held jobs that I've had to quit after a short time because of panic attacks, the same goes for the school. This is a problem with alot of factors that complicate it and I have no idea where to start to get sound advice. If you are unsure of how I should deal with this, please tell me who I should contact in this matter. Thankyou

Reply by Paul This is a very difficult question to answer. I cannot say what you should do. I can say these things:

1. As your monthly income from any source goes up, your SSI goes down.

2. The formula is a little complicated; but as your income increases, your SSI will eventually decrease to 0.

3. It is extremely important that you report any earnings, AND BE ABLE TO PROVE YOU DID SO! Get a receipt, or clocked in copy, or certified mail your report.

4. As the Administration tries to estimate what your earnings would be, you tend to get into an overpayment situation.

5. If your SSI goes to zero, in the states I work in your Medicaid is cancelled; but if you go to Social Services and ask that it be restarted, you can get Medicaid up to a higher level of income. I don't know if this works in Louisiana.

6. If your income stops within a year of when you last got an SSI check, your check is supposed to automatically start back. After a year, you have to re-apply, which can take a really long time.

7. Work activity tends to invite review of disability. Steady work tends to prove you can work. Erratic work tends to prove you can't. The effect of whatever pattern of work you produce is very hard to predict.

8. If you can turn yourself into a highly desirable employee by getting an education in a field that is high demand, in which not just anyone can get a degree - my favorite example is Registered Nurse, though that might not be right for you - employers tend to overlook impairments and hire despite them.

9. In general, if I were in your situation and had a choice between work and education, I would take education. Work provides an income right now, but you have that from SSI. Education provides higher employability in the future. Who knows if you will have SSI then. This is only a rough rule!

10. If you can get sponsored by Vocational Rehabilitation in your education effort, there is a chance that Social Security would have to let you finish before they cut your check off, if they review you.

Take care and good luck.

kimloantran

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2001 - 11:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I live in California State. I ask a question about SSI for my younger brother. My younger brother has been suffered with a cancer desease and has been treating and paid by Medical. But he was sponsored to the U.S by my older brother in May 2001.( signed form I.864)
I would like to ask if my younger brother qualifies for receiving SSI without affect to the financial situation of my older brother or not?

Thanks a lot for your help and your early reply would be appreciated.

Kim T.

Reply by Paul Let me restate your question and then try to answer it. That way I will be sure I understand it.

Question: Assuming that my older and younger brother are living together, and assuming that my older brother is my younger brother's sponsor, and that my younger brother is disabled, will my older brother's income keep my younger brother from drawing a check?

If that is the question, the answer is, probably your older brother's income will not prevent your younger brother from drawing a check. If your younger brother is living in his home for free, it might reduce the check, but that can probably be corrected.

To raise a question you did not ask about, not all aliens are eligible for SSI, and your younger brother might not be eligible for that reason.

Mary Kennedy

Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2002 - 2:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been receiving social security disability and medicaid for about one year. If I worked a minimum parttime, will my eligibility be affected? Also will my eligibility be affected if my name was added to my ex-husband's assets? We are currently living together and I pay $400 monthly for rent. I want to protect myself if anything happened to him. He is 53 and I am 59. My name would show as part owner on his l998 truck, a trailer worth $5,000 and some other assets. Would it be more beneficial to establish a joint Will instead? Thank you.

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Friday, January 11, 2002 - 6:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Please click here to go to the page of the forum that should answer your question about trying to work while you are disabled.

You say you are receiving Social Security Disabilty. If this is so, you should have no problem with what property you own; the Administration does not care.

However, if you are getting SSI, the Administration considers both your assets and any spouse with whom you live.

You imply a seperate question of whether it is better if you get him to will you property, or whether it is better to have your name on it, as far I guess as control of the property and right to inherit. That is a question of your state's law, and I don't know the answer to that.

John Peterson

Rating: 

Posted on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 1:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been approved for SS disability and my checks are due to start in June 2002. If I withdraw money from an IRA or 401K, will that have any effect on my SS disability check?

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Friday, February 22, 2002 - 5:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John, it should have no effect on a Social Security Disability check. But most people mix up SSI and Social Security Disability, and it can have an effect on an SSI check. The SSI program considers your income and resources.

Sonny Beam

Posted on Wednesday, April 03, 2002 - 5:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a friend who receives an annunity that is not taxable, but it is not enough for him to live on. And he has not been able to work since his accident that he receives the annunity from. Is this income that has to be reported for SSI?

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Saturday, April 13, 2002 - 5:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

An annuity will be considered unearned income for purposes of calculating SSI benefit amounts, and will serve to reduce the check.

If the reduction is significant, sometimes you can convert it to an exempt asset and thereby avoid the offset. Don't try this on your own; get an attorney, and a fancy one at that.

If his check is Social Security Disability, the annuity will have no effect on the check.

Marge Daniele

Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 3:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If someone recieves a life insurance settlement
from his deceased father, and is on SSI does he
have to claim it? Is it considered a gift? Will
it effect the amount of his SSI check?

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2002 - 7:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Once you have the money, it is certainly counted, and if the sum is large enough it will disqualify you for SSI.

If you have received it, you might be able to avoid further disqualification by transferring it to an exempt asset in a very careful way. You need a lawyer for this! If you transfer it in the wrong way, you might get the worst of both worlds - you might not have the asset, but the Administration might count it as being yours and disqualify you anyway!

Whether you can decline a gift is a question of state law that you would have to get a local attorney to answer. But it is something that you should look into.

Gail

Posted on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 4:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a similar question then. When my Father passes away I will inherit some money from his estate. Will my Social Security Disability also be cut off? I don't have the kind of Social Security that depends on my income levels. It will be in the form of his house which will be split three ways between my siblings and whatever money he might have in CD's and in the bank.

Thanks!

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Saturday, May 04, 2002 - 9:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you are drawing Social Security Disability, your check will not be affected. If you are drawing SSI, it might or might not be, and your should get an attorney to look at his will right now.

I would warn you that about a third of the folks I represent are confused about which one they draw.

Patty Rosilyn Curtis

Posted on Monday, March 18, 2002 - 10:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

can I still draw disability if I inherit a large sum of money.
Noxapater, MS

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Tuesday, March 26, 2002 - 4:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you are drawing SSI, also called Supplemental Security Income, no. It is a needs based program; to draw that you must be disabled and poor.

If you are drawing Social Security Disability, yes. It is something like an insurance program, in which get back because you have paid in.

Jacqualine Ross

Posted on Friday, May 31, 2002 - 12:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you are receiving social security disablity and is left a CD,savings acccount,and half of estate in your name, would you have to report it to the social security disablities department? What will they do if I put it in someone else's name? Would they cut off my benfits?

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 8:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you are drawing Social Security Disability, no. If SSI, yes. Many people are not sure which they draw. Here are some ways to tell:

SSI checks say "SSI" right before the dollar amount.

SSI checks come in a blue envelope; Social Security in a tan.

SSI checks cannot be more than in the $500's; they can be lower.

If you worked for years, right up until you got your disability, you are probably not getting SSI.

If desperate, call 1 800 772 1213, and punch "0" 20 times (no kidding) to clear off the menu and get in line to talk to a human. Ask that person which you are drawing.

reginalarson

Posted on Thursday, June 27, 2002 - 8:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My uncle already receives $800.00/month from Social Security Disability Retirement. After he started receiving his checks,his spouse became disbled too, and was approved for disability by a judge in court. When she went to her local SSI office they told her she couldn't receive her Disability as long as she resided with my uncle. Is this true? Is this the law in North Carolina?
Thanks!

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 9:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is difficult to say. If she is only entitled to SSI, it might be. But if she qualifies for Social Security disability, her husband's income would not make any difference. To find out which, she should call 1 800 772 1213 and get a copy of her earnings record, and show it to a good attorney. She might or might not be able to establish eligibility by, say, showing an earlier onset date, or earning just a little money.

Ozell

Posted on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 9:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have Social Sercurity, but I want to take a second mortgageout on my home. Will this keep me from receiving my Social Sercurity?

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Monday, May 06, 2002 - 6:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you are truly receiving some form of Social Security as opposed to SSI, no. If you receive SSI, any money that you hold after taking out the mortage might affect your check.

RAMONA BERBER

Posted on Sunday, June 30, 2002 - 12:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HI IM ON SSI MY HUSBAND GET ABOUT 2,600 APPROX. FROM WORK a month AND WE LIVE FROM PAY CHECK TO PAY CHECK ALSO EVERY 3RD MONTH HE WILL GET A EXTRA CHECK ITS CALL A BONUSCHECK AND EVERYONE AT HIS WORK WILL GET IT IF NO ONE GETS HURT ON JOB. OH I HAVE 2 GIRLS AT HOME 15,&17 AND I willGET ONLY IF LUCKY 250.00A MONTH AND even LESS FOR8-1-2002 NO MONEY DUE TO THIS EXTRA CHECK IN THE AMOUNT OF 150.00 ANTHER WORDS HUSBAND MADE NO MORE THAN 3,OOO FOR THAT MONTH SO THERE FOR I DONT IF IM GETTING THE RIGHT AMOUNT ? I HAVE ARGUED ABOUT IT I WAS TOLD ITS LIKE WELFARE CHECK,AND THAT HUSBAND IS MAKING TO MUCH IF I WANT MY FULL CHECK GET A LEGAL SEPERATION OR MOVE IN WITH MY OTHER DAUGHTER I WOULD NEVER DO THAT SSI WORKER HAS HURT ME SO MUCH IN NO RESPECT THAT I FEEL LIKE LETTING GO OF MY SSI BUT I DONT BECAUSE OF MY MEDICAL, CAUSE IV BEEN ILL SO MUCH IM IN AND OUT OF HOSPITALS THAT THERES NO WAY FOR US TO PAY THE HOSP.BILLS SO WHERE DO I STAND ?
I GET PUNISH FOR HUSBAND TO WORK.I DONT HAVE ANY RESOURSE THAT THEY CAN COUNT WILL BE LUCKY TO HAVE $60.OO IN POCKET UNTIL MY NEXT PAY CHECK HE GETS PAYED EVERY 2 WEEKS IM SORRY BUT I DONT REALLY HAVE MUCH WITH MY SSI WORKER I DONT GET THE RESPECT I SHOULD MY PART IM RESPECTFULL TO THEM I BEEN TOLD THIS SSI IS LIKE A WELFARE CHECK YOUR HUSB.CANT MAKE TO MUCH.IF HE MAKES 3,000 I DONT GET NOTHING ONLY MEDICAL I THANK GOD FOR THAT I HOPE I EXPLAINED MY SITUATION RIGHT AND THANKS SO MUCH TAKE CARE MONA!

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Sunday, August 25, 2002 - 6:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Let me ask your questions in a short way, and then answer each question.

Q. If I am drawing SSI, as my husband's check goes up, will mine go down?

A. Yes.

Q. Is their calculation accurate?

A. There is no way for me to answer that; for each notice, to be sure, I would have to go over it with you. As a rough rule of thumb, if you provide them with all income and resource information, and if on the notices you get from them that informantion is accurate, the benefit amount tends to be accurate, too. But you must be very carful to keep them informed, and you must be able to prove to them that you have told them about all of your income.

Q. How can I get Medicaid in the months that I do not get a check?

A. I think this answer might vary by state, but you can try applying at State Social Services.

Elva Garza

Posted on Wednesday, July 03, 2002 - 7:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What does this mean?: "The beneficary must not have resources worth more than $2,000. Cash not spent is also a resource." How much do they expect for you to save on one child? Also is this SSI considered child support? What happens if you are still receiving the child support of $159.00 plus the $600.00 a month. I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. Thanks.El

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 7:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You must carefully report all income and resources to the Administration, and document that you have reported. This is a very dangerous area, and I am a little nervous about telling you if you are in compliance. If your child qualifies for SSI, you probably qualify for legal aid, and might ask them any specific questions.

You must report the child support, and all other income, to the Administration. Whether you should continue to get child support is a question that a local family court attorney must answer.

If you accumulate more than a certain amount, the SSI is supposed to stop.

The Administration will try to recover any overpayment from you, so be very careful.

Take care.

sararae

Posted on Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 7:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am from the state of Vermont and I recently won an appeal for disability and ssi benefits . i am divorced and since i won my appeal i have received half of my ex husbands retirement fund which i decided to by a motorcycle and take classes to ride as i need something in my life that i can enjoy even if it is on a limited scale . i have psoriatic arthritis and fibromyalgia and have fought it and not accepted it for 20 years and have worked for 16 years driving a school bus until 3 knee surgeries and a new joint and the pain has made me unable to work a full time job to support myself and my medical problems . i am able to do almost anything but the pain is too great to be able to do it without medication or to do it on a regular basis .
i have started receiving disability checks but before i receive my ssi i have told them that i received this money and i have to sign papers stating what i spend this money on and how many vehicles i own and i want to be completely honest and i am wondering if this will have any effect on my case and if it matters how many vehicles a person owns and is used for a hobby and / or investment as long as you turn it in ? will this make me lose my disability or ssi ?

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 5:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sararae, there are two possible effects. First, I guess someone might think that a person who is able to ride around a lot on a motorcycle might not be disabled. This is certainly not a hard and fast rule, but you can see the argument. This might never be a problem.

Second, once you have a certain amount of resources, you are no longer eligible for SSI. One modest vehicle is excluded, but if the motorcycle is a second vehicle, it will be counted towards the limit.

Neither of these reasons means that you definitely cannot have or use your motorcycle.

L. Barry Mulhearn (Droptop)

Posted on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 2:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

North Carolina-
I have a friend who has been declared disabled by his doctor. He has diabetes(juvenile onset) that has also lead to severe peripheral neuropothy and retinopothy of the eyes. He is in the hospital recovering from another bout with diabetic ketoacidosis. His doctor has begun the process of getting him into a pancreatic transplant program at UNC/Chapel Hill. He is going to apply for Social Security Disability (he's worked for over 20 years) and several people have told him that he will be denied Social Security Disability because he owns some land. The land in question is approx. 2.5 acres and is unimproved (no house, buildings, etc.). This land is titled joint tennants in common with one other person, so his total holding is 1.25 acres. Will he have to sell his half of the land or can he still keep it and get approved for Social Security Disability? Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 8:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Barry: He should not worry about the land. Social Security Disability payments, which are based on what you paid in, are not affected by your possessions; Nelson Rockerfeller could draw disability benefits, if he could prove he worked, and that he was disabled.

Your are talking to people who are thinking about the SSI program, which is for people who have not worked enough to qualify for full Social Security benefits. Entitlement under that program is affected by your assets and income.

specialkathee

Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 3:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a friend who has been receiving Supplemental Security Benefits(SSI) for several years. If he and I get married will his SSI check decrease in amount.

Thank you very much
"special kathee"

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Friday, April 25, 2003 - 4:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very possibly. The idea is that he should be better off with you because you only have one refrigerator, stove, and rent or mortgage payment, even though his check is less, but the reality is not always like that. If you have a very high income, his check will end. You should sit down with a local attorney who can figure up exactly what will happen.

Often the critical question is health insurance coverage. He might, or might not, lose Medicaid.

HDixon

Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 10:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am drawing Social Security Disability and have recently been invovled in a serious car accident which I expect to receive a monetary settlement.
Is it required that I report the settlement or will it have any affect upon my benefits ?

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 9:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ms. Dixon, you should consult with the attorney who is representing you in your auto claim.

theresa

Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 12:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I live in Illinois and receive SSDI. My mother is in poor health and 90 y/o When she passes I will inherit her farm and receive extra income from the farming operation. Does this interfere with my SSDI benefit? Will I have to meet some different guidelines for medicare. Do I report this? Just trying to get prepared.

katherine murphy

Rating: 

Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 9:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have hep c, high blood pressure and severe deppression, i have been denied ss.i am now waiting on a decion from ssi.i start pegatron thearpy for 48 weeks . i have been out of work for 1 year so far. i am 46 years old single . no money no home no bank account no nothing.do i qualify for ssi.
i do not have enough work credits for ss.

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 4:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Katherine, there are two requirements for SSI qualification: whether you are poor enough, and whether you are disabled. It sounds as if you meet the first requirement. If you can prove that you cannot work, you well might meet the second. If you cannot work, you should file.

sheila jackson

Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 2:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My son is on SSI and lived in a grungy 1 bedrm. apt. in Ohio. We helped him move to a decent area and his girlfriend is living with him now. The rent is now almost double for this new place and has 2 bedrooms. Her parents are currently paying for her half of expenses and her food. She is disabled and wants to apply for SSI as well. If she gets SSI, will it affect my son's benefits in any way? They keep their money separate - what little they have.

I also understand that family assistance could come in the form of paying the phone bill or perhaps gasoline and provide a car/and or insurance, but not help with electricity, rent, or food. Does this sound accurate to you?

Also, is there any way family can provide assets (that are not obvious) for when he is old and close family is gone. I started a Roth IRA for him but am afraid to put any money in it for him as it may affect his income. He will not likely ever be able to work.

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 11:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You ask several excellent questions. Let me ask and only partially answer each seperately:

Q. If my son's girlfriend gets SSI, will that affect his check?

A. I cannot answer. If they are considered as a couple, which they can be under several different rules, maybe. The rules vary a little from state to state, and so does enforcement, I think.

Q. What about family assistance?
A. This varies from state to state, also. Some states have "Section 8" housing available; under this Federal program housing where they are is paid for. In other places housing projects are fairly nice; in other places they are a nightmare. There are a lot of other local assistance programs. A good place to start looking is at the local United Way for private programs, and the state Department of Social Services for public ones.

Q. What about us giving them money?
A. This is a question that has an answer, but I cannot give it. There are attorneys who draw "Medicaid Trusts" that understand how to do this to a certain extend. Search for one of those attorneys, and be very careful.

You ask good questions; keep searching for the answers. If you get any good ones consider posting the results here.

patj

Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2003 - 6:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I live in North Carolina, I worked 50hrs/wk for 40yrs.I just had a stroke with brain damage. I can cut lawn to earn alittle money. Is it true I can earned up to $11,000 a year and it will not effect my SSD

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 8:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Please see the answers to the above posts. The short answer is, be very careful.

DL

Posted on Monday, February 02, 2004 - 9:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr McChesney, Thank you for providing this forum. I am a 35 year old Lyme Disease patient and have been for about 3 years. I am currently taking 2000-3000 mg antibioics/day as well as other meds. My symptoms include very easily fatigued, joint and muscle pain throughout my body, intolerant of standing or sitting for long periods. I am about 40% as active as I used to be. I don't cook or clean near as much as I used to. I am very socially inactive which is causing a loss of friends. Even though I come from a Christian family-they do not understand and are not helpful. To look at me, you'd think that I was fine. When grocery shopping, I am often exhausted to the point that it is as if I can't think and I am afraid to drive home-running lights and slamming on brakes. I also have a hard time remembering a lot of things. I am always relearning-it seems. I have several years of college education but no degree-due partly to a domestic violent 2 year marriage ending in divorce and leaving me with 2 babies-5 months and 18 months. The children are now 10 and 11 yrs old. I do not have enough credits to receive SS Disability. My only income is 368.10 Child Support and the children's auxillary benefits from their no-contact father's SS Disability payments which are 446.00 (223.00 each). My total income is 814.00/month.
My questions:
Would I have a chance at applying for SSI?
Do these 2 types of payments count as income for SSI applications?
Would the lump sums that the children received last year when auxillary payments started count? They are in a custodial statement savings account.
Do these auxillary payments have to be used just for education, medical, etc? In other words, are the ssi payments that children receive and auxillary payments from a parent's disability claim treated the same? How are they different?
I live in Lincoln County, NC
Thank you again.

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 8:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DL, these are tough questions. Here are some partial answers to get you started:

Would I have a chance at applying for SSI? Possibly. Your income has to be low enough. I do not have enough information to tell; when the income is from mixed sources it is much more complicated. Go down and ask the Administration to figure it for you. Usually, if you have the right figures, they can give the right answers on those sorts of questions.

Do these 2 types of payments count as income for SSI applications? Yes, I think so.

Would the lump sums that the children received last year when auxillary payments started count?
They do not count as current income to you or them.

They are in a custodial statement savings account. You have to be very careful at how you spend the money in such an account. I am not sure how this money is counted for purposes of deciding whether you are eligible for SSI. I should know, but I don't.

Do these auxillary payments have to be used just for education, medical, etc? In other words, are the ssi payments that children receive and auxillary payments from a parent's disability claim treated the same? How are they different? Generally, you can use the current monthly checks for the child's current living expenses.

To answer a question you did not ask: If you have worked erratically, you might, or might not, be able to get qualified for Social Security Disability by working just a little. To find out, order your earnings record and show it to an attorney. You can order it at ssa.gov.

You should sit down with a private attorney or with a legal aid attorney to get the details of the above questions answered.

Abby Mason

Posted on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 9:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If someone is on disability,or SSI.and they live with someone they are not married to,do they have to claim that income also.

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 9:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Abby: That is a complicated question that depends on exactly what your arrangement is, whether you are in a "common law marriage" state, and the attitude of your local office.

abby Mason

Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 8:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I’m sorry I should have said North Carolina. I do know North Carolina does not have common law marrage. And as a matter of fact it is illegal to live together without being married. That law is still on the books. Do you have to report the boyfriend or girlfriends income? if it is suppose to be reported and it has not been wouldn't that be fraud?

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 6:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Certainly you should tell the Administration who you live with and what his income is. The harder question is how that is treated. I blush to answer that I am not sure. I know that down here in SC they try to count it if they can, and I know that if you can prove that he is just a landlord and you are a border they cannot count it. But I don't know how it comes out, as a practical matter, in other states, and my sense is that it varies from state to state. If anyone else can be helpful on this point, I would appreciate comments.

La Ronda Shaw

Posted on Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 11:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I would like to ask a question. I am disabled
and have been to my hearing and now awaiting my
award letter from SSI. I am the mother of three
girls there ages are now 19-17-15. When I first filed for SSI which was three years ago, the girls were younger and we were on are own. Recently I was married a year ago and my husband works and pays all the bills.If he makes 925.00
every two weeks is that two much, and will it affect my SSI case. We have a grandaughter that is with us now by my nineteen year old daughter.
he is taking care a family of six on one income
and we are struggling to meet the needs of the family. Can you please let me know if his income will effect my SSI. Also what is the different between SSI and SSDI. And if I am under SSI can I
get my case switched to SSDI, without having to go thru all the waiting and hearings.

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 3:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Q.: When I first filed for SSI which was three years ago, the girls were younger and we were on are own. Recently I was married a year ago and my husband works and pays all the bills.If he makes 925.00
every two weeks is that two much, and will it affect my SSI case.

A.: How much is too much can vary by state. You might be getting to the borderline.

Q.: We have a grandaughter that is with us now by my nineteen year old daughter.
he is taking care a family of six on one income
and we are struggling to meet the needs of the family. Can you please let me know if his income will effect my SSI.

A.: The more kids in the family, the less your husband's income will hurt you.

Q.: Also what is the different between SSI and SSDI.

A.: You must have worked enough to qualify for SSD, that is, Social Security disability. "How much" is discussed elswhere on this site.

Q.: And if I am under SSI can I
get my case switched to SSDI, without having to go thru all the waiting and hearings.

A.: If you are otherwise qualified for SSD, you can start an SSD claim and quickly get it "elevated" to the level of your SSI claim, if you have enough time. But it is fairly likely that the Administration would have started a SSD claim if you had qualified.

The best way to find out if you qualify or might qualify is to order an earnings record by calling 1 800 772 1213 and taking it to an attorney if it says you are not qualified.

Good luck.

carolyn Beckner
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 11:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been told I'm eligible for SSI.Our house burned down, and we arae not goin to use all the insurance money to rebuild.I was told when me and My husband get legally seperated, and the money is in his name, it will not affect my SSI benifits...is that true?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 747

Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 7:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That sounds right. Any money in the hands of your spouse doesn't count to eliminate SSI, if he is seperated from you, that is, living in another house, whether or not you have been legally seperated by a court.

If you own an empty lot and are not living on it, the value of that lot can be counted against you.

Your home is not counted as a resource if you are living in it. If it is converted into money for any reason, for example if it burns down and you get insurance proceeds, you have 3 months to put it into another house. During that 3 months, that money is not counted as an resource.

HindyLanger
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 8:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A friend of mine (in New Jersey) is would like to apply for SSI for his child. He and his wife have some assets. Someone told him that he can agree in writing to split assets, and have only one person's income considered. Is that true?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 787

Posted on Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 8:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Administration looks at the income and assets of the custodial parent or parents. But if they are seperated, he should think a long time before giving up assets to his wife! He really needs to talk to a good New Jersy lawyer.

debbie m
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 4:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am living in kentucky have one child who is 12 and a husband who works, he makes about $650.00 bring home pay, after cuts every 2 weeks. I will be getting ssi on a mental disability, I am sure it's ssi because I have hardly worked any at all. Will I even be eligible for ssi payments because of his income also we own a home valued at $15,000 and own 2 vehicles, vehicles are over 10 and 15 years old?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 822

Posted on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 4:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am reluctant to guess because I might mislead you. The amount of SSI benefits vary by state, and I do not know the rules for every state.

As to your income, I am not sure. I can say that if he had no income, you would get some benefit, and if he had a $60,000 income you would not. In between it is hard for me to calculate. You might try going down to the local office and trying to persuade them to do it, if you need to know.

It is possible but not certain that the amount you can earn varies from state to state. Certainly the amount of the benefit does.

The Social Security Administration's website lists the states that do and do not have supplements, that is, additions to the basic SSI benefit, at this page: SSI benefit amounts and supplements, but I do not know of a place where the details of each state's supplement is given.

It is possible that in states with a supplement, you would get a check, whereas in other states you would not. I am not at all sure about this.

I am sorry I cannot be more specific.

As to your resources, my guess would be with those small resources you would have no problem; and in general, resources is a problem that a good attorney can almost always solve; you can usually move things around so that they don't disqualify you.

Sorry for such a partial answer. If anyone can do better, please do so!

ljackson
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 8:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been on ssi for almost 9 years for severe mental problems the medicaid is vital for my medication now my second husband of 3 years was in a terrible work related accident and is now in a wheel chair he has filed for his ssdi I have been told if he is approved I will lose my SSi and medicaid and if in the future something was to happen to us I would have to start I new claim myself My problem without my medications I will not be able to even funtion in the outside world are our cases counted as one or will I lose everything?? Thanks We have no children but he has a stepson my son who lives with us

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 948

Posted on Friday, December 31, 2004 - 7:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you were drawing Social Security disability, sometimes called DIB or SSD, you would not have to worry about that check being cut off.

Assuming that you are drawing SSI, it is possible, but not certain, that his check will cause you to lose yours.

If you are drawing SSI, there is a maximum income for the family; if you and your husband draw or earn more than that, your SSI check will be cut off. The Administration only counts about 1/2 of earned income, but all of unearned income. Your husband's Social Security check would be unearned income. For this reason, you will sometimes lose your SSI check when your spouse changes from working to being disabled, even though his income goes down.

Your local Social Security office ought to be able to calculate how much he would get, and tell you whether your SSI check would be cut off.

If they say it would be, don't despair. Find out exactly how much his check is, and take that figure to your state Department of Social Services (or whatever they call the Welfare office in your state) and ask if you would still qualify for Medicaid, which would get you your medicines. Medicaid has a higher cutoff than SSI does. If they cut off your SSI check, they will not tell you to go file for Medicaid, but you should.

If you lose that, too, there are a lot of ways to get free medicines; they are set out elsewhere on this site. But none of them work as well as Medicare.

Sorry this is so complicated. If you get stuck, sit down with a lawyer or Legal Aid.

Anonymous

Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 12:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i am in a day program, which is really good for me.my question is how i go about applying for ssi/ssd?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1070

Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 6:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You should call 1 800 772 1213 and say that you want to file a claim; if you are not comfortable doing that, get someone to help you do it.

Christie (Christie)
Username: Christie

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 3:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My father is 55 years old. College educated and is an operating engineer ( construction). He is diagonsed with prostate cancer, that has metasized to the bones and is terminally ill. He worked up until a month a go and could physically no longer walk ( he is now in the hospital) and finally gave in to not working anymore. We applied and met with a SS officer in NYC who helped with the paper work and helped us push everything through quite quickly. However, we just received a Dissaproved Claim saying that my parents are worth more than $3,000 for March 2005 on. They have money but it is all tied up in annuities that he can not touchh without being fined until his disablity is registered. So there is no money coming in to pay for a lot fo his medical expenses as well as monthly bills. No one told us that disability had anything to do with current illiquid assets. I thought that was just plain SSI. Any thoughts? Thank you.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1066

Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 5:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Christie, I have to admit I am baffled. This is too important for a guess. Make one phone call to check my guess, and if it is wrong, take it all to a lawyer and be sure.

Now for my guess, but only read it if you agree to go to the lawyer:

If he worked steady up to a couple of years ago, he is eligible for Social Security Disability as well as SSI. Often you will get a quick denial in your SSI claim, followed by an allowance in your Social Security claim. I occasionally have people bring in the SSI notice and think they have lost, and a phone call clears that up.

Take care. Remember to go to the lawyer.

Anonymous

Posted on Monday, May 02, 2005 - 11:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My sister has run out of money from her deceased ex-husband's bank account that he left her. I'm trying to help her pay her bills but can't support 2 households. She has paranoia problems and can't work. (No one will hire her). She applied for SSI years ago but was denied and didn't follow through with an appeal. If she reapplies, will my "loans" to her count as income? Should I pay the mortgage company directly? She needs help fast. Are attorney's better and faster at getting approved than lay persons? I don't want her to loose her home but we don't have much money. She's 59 years old living in California. Thanks for your help.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1210

Posted on Monday, May 30, 2005 - 6:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Q. If she reapplies, will my "loans" to her count as income?

A. Sort of, maybe, but she should apply anyway. It might help if she enters into a contract with you that you repay her. But the main thing, in terms of getting her current benefits, is to go ahead and apply.

Q. Should I pay the mortgage company directly?

A. That would be better.

Q. She needs help fast.

A. I fear that fast help is rare from the Social Security Administration. It is ok to hope for it, but you must plan for the possibility that the process will be slow.

Q. Are attorney's better and faster at getting approved than lay persons?

A. Most all attorneys are better than lay persons. Good attorneys are much better.

Sam (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 6:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would funds in 401K and Roth-IRA count as resources in determining SSI eligiblity for my parents who are over 65, not working, with less than 40 credits for SocSec, and no savings beyond what's in their 401K and Roth-IRA?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1208

Posted on Monday, May 30, 2005 - 5:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sam: Maybe. It's complicated. The answer you should follow is this: Have them apply, and if they don't like the result, hire an attorney.

If you promise not to rely on what I say next, other than as a suggestion for further investigation, I will suggest a likely outcome:

Let us consider just one of your parents, say your mother.

The Social Security Administration says that in deciding whether she is eligible for SSI, your father's retirement accounts, which would include IRA's of all sorts and 401K's, will be ignored. See POMS SI 01330.120 Deeming - Exclusions from Resources.

What about her retirement accounts? Depends. If they can be taken either as a lump sum or as periodic payments, in order to get SSI, your mother must apply for the periodic payments, and when she starts getting them, that will be counted as income. See POMS SI 01120.210 Retirement Funds and SI 00510.001 Overview of the Filing for Other Program Benefits Requirement

But if there is no provision to take them as periodic payments, they are counded as a resource.
For most IRA's and 401K's, there is no such provision, so they must be counted as a resource.

How much is the resouce worth? If there is a penalty for early withdrawal, the Administration counts the full value of the fund, minus the penalty. See POMS SI 01120.210 Retirement Funds

If it is counted as a resource, and it barely puts her over the resource limit, sometimes it makes sense to spend it down until her assets are below the resouce limit; sometimes it does not make sense to do this.

(Message edited by admin on May 30, 2005)

judycarver (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 9:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have been recieving ssd and ssi for three months. i live in north carolina and would like to know if i can buy a home or mobile home and still recieve my checks

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1207

Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2005 - 4:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sure, if you live in it. The SSI will cut off if you have too many assets, but they don't count one home, if you live in it.

Nicole Thurman (Nicole_thurman)
Username: Nicole_thurman

Post Number: 1

Posted on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 9:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My son is receving SSI, and I my husband came into a worker's compensation settlement for 16,000, which most went on bills and two vehicles for transportation. We were told that we were supposed to report this. How will the SSI Adminstration handle our claim?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1294

Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 9:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nichole:
If you have a lot of income or resources it can disqualify him. Be sure to report it; you don't want to get into an overpayment situation. If he is now disqualified because of your assets, you can often rearrange assets so he qualifies again; ask a lawyer for help with that if you need it.

C Lomax (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 7:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am the parent of a blind child. He currently recieves disability however they are constantly taking it away, reducing, adding to it. I am told that I make too much for him to receive benifits. He is the one that is blind and having all these medical issues how can they rely on my pay (wich supports a 4 person household 1 income)to say what he can and can not have.
Age 2
Disablility: Blind
My work: Police
My education: some college
I have School for Deaf and Blind saying that they can not understand the problem. All the doctors hes seen for his eye problems and treatments (they are attempting to restore some eyesight) said that hes still legally blind. What can I do or is it the way it goes on MY pay?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1236

Posted on Saturday, July 02, 2005 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ms. Lomax:
Nothing, except:

-to check to be sure that you are earning what they claim you are, something you can check yourself,
-to check to be sure their calculations are correct, which will take a lawyer,
-to campaign to get the law changed, and
-to wait until he is 18, at which time your income will not be counted against him.

Claire Mesa (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 9:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My husband is about to apply for SSD and SSI, he already has Medicare as he had Kidney Failure. He recently had a transplant. He is als blind from diabetes. He just lost his job and his work insurance went up to $350. per month. Too much to afford under the circumstances, but meds are too high to cancel.
He's probably fine with SSD but needs the Medicaid bad. The transplant meds are very expensive.
I am concerned because they will count my income and may affect his benefits. We have children and many other expenses. I actually need to raise my income to handle this. I don't want to be penalized for it.
Any suggestions? I'm actually in Florida though but any advice is good.

Nolen Manison (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 12:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My friend will be recieving an insurance settlement from a bad car wreck and needed to know if it will affect her disability payments. She is currently on SSDI.

Thank You.

Ken Blades (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 4:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Will SSI consider the unpaid loans[$4202.00] that knock my cash value down to $2372.00 as available assets[which they are not as they are technically a debt], or will they only consider the $372.00 as
excess assets?

What would be permissible items to spend that $372.00 on to reduce to $2000.00 in the eyes of SSI? I do not have a mortgage or car. Should I do this before applying for SSI, and if so am I required to report this upon applying?

Thanks, and sorry for the complicated question!

Ken Blades (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 4:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am planning on applying for SSI in the near future. Reading the material on assets that count against the $2000 limit brings me to my question...

I have a whole life insurance policy whose 2005 cash value is $6574.00. However, there are loans I have
taken in years past totalling $4202.00, which leaves an available cash balance of $2372.00. I cannot afford to pay the loans back, and this costs me about $200.00 per year in interest costs
that get subtracted from my remaining cash value. I get a dividend check once per year of about $122.00 which offsets the loan cost somewhat.

debra brown (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, August 14, 2005 - 11:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

my husband was getting ssi payments every month,530.00. i started working, making 9.00 an hour and they cut his check down to 50 dollors a month. I thought ssi was his money because he is disabled? They are not taking into account the cost of living such as rent, food, my medical insurance, car insurance, utility bills, etc. why is that? How do they expect me to be able to pay for everything for both of us by myself without his income?

Anonymous

Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 4:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you qualify for SSDI if you're receiving a military retirement and VA compensation for a service-connected injury?

Abigail (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 2:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i recieve ssi and i was wondering if i get a loan do i have to report that to ssi. im new to all of this i just started recieving ssi. could someone please let me know how to find out if i am responsible for reporting a loan.

Lost In Louisiana (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 12:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I earned less that SGA during the year 2004. I applied for disability in April 2005 while recovering from surgery (while unable to do any work of any kind).
I am self employed and worked only when I was able during January, February and March 2005, and from May until August 2005. Again, all of my income for these periods was less than the SGA.
I was notified in September that my disability was approved, retroactive to May 2005. I received my back money payment for the period May-August. I will receive my first actual disability check in October (for September).
I am 58 and my income is reported on a Misc. 1099 as unreported tip income.
Will my income for the months that I have worked be considered SGA or TWP? Sice I understood that SS considers "work" as over SGA, I did not advise SS that I was attempting to work during the application process. Have I committed some sort of fraud?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1520

Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 10:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You are obliged to tell the Administration about any money you earn. I would do that and document it so you can prove you did it, and get something in writing from them saying it is ok, or else seriously consider giving money back, if there is any possibility of confusion. I would spread the months of earnings out in front of a lawyer to be sure.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1522

Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 10:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Abigail, I would report it, to be safe.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1523

Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 10:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous: Yes.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1525

Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 6:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Debra:

Q. I thought ssi was his money because he is disabled?

A. SSI is a program for people who have not paid much into the system. It is reduced by family income and resources.

Q. They are not taking into account the cost of living such as rent, food, my medical insurance, car insurance, utility bills, etc. why is that?

A. I am not good at answering, "why" type questions. Congress set the SSI amount at the level they felt that a couple could barely survive on, a safety net just at the poverty line.

Q. How do they expect me to be able to pay for everything for both of us by myself without his income?

A. I would have trouble doing it. Often there are other government programs that help with rent, etc., that you might be able to cobble together to survive on. I am no expert at those, and you should keep searching in that area.

I am sure this answer is unsatisfactory; I am just telling you all I know as accurately as I know how.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1527

Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 6:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ken:

I am not quite certain how that works, but my guess is that you will be ok if you spend the life insurance down as you describe.

When you go to apply, the personnel at the local office will probably tell you what you must do.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1528

Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 6:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nolen:

If it is SSI, that is, Supplemental Security Income, it will.

If it is SSDI, that is, Social Security Disability, it will not.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1529

Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 6:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Claire:

Your question is way too complex for me to guess an answer that might have a catastrophic effect for you. Get all your information together and sit down with a lawyer. Remember to check to see if the drug company might give the medicine for free, as it does to people in certain income situations.

You are asking the right questions, though. It is critical that you get exact answers; be sure to do that.

R.J. (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 1:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Sir.

I feel I may be in Quite a pickle and may need some advise. I started reciving SSID back in 2003. In December 03 I learned that I could go back and supplement my income which I did for 9 months in 2k4. However I wasnt aware that I had to notify SSI about doing so. I have received papers from them requesting information about my work. Can I lose my benefits from SSI? I am currently working to supplemenent my Benefits now but I am scared to quit do to fear of my benefits being pulled. My Disability is Depression and a Congenital Heart Birth Defect.

M. D. D. (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am 18, still in High School and just had surgery on my left leg, my family is in a really low income bracket (that all might be relevant info). I just recieved seemingly out of the blue a check from the U.S. Treasury for a really large amount. Next to the dollar amount it says "Soc Sec For Ins". Not that I'm complaining, but why am I recieving this money? If it's because of my family's low income why is it payable to me? I'm hesitant to cash this check because recently my family had problems with SSI because of overpayment and now are paying it back.

victoria colwell (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 8:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been on SSD since 2004. I recently 2006, was awarded .281% of my ex-husbands military retirement pay as property division in the divorce (after fighting 4 years). Will I loose my SSD or will it become decreased. Also I am getting remarried in one week. Will remarriage effect my SSD amount or my military retirement?

Anonymous

Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 11:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently applied for SSD for my daughter who has been diagnosed with ADHD and ODD. I work fulltime and I was wondering would my income affect approval on benefits for SSD for her

Gerard G. Hamm (Bdpopeye)
Username: Bdpopeye

Post Number: 1

Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 1:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Paul and administrators. My new wife of 2 months is recieving a SSI that was reduced as soon as we were married. I work only part time. I am recieving military retired(non-disablity 20 year retiree) pay monthly. Recently we discovered at work that our contract may be discontinued in about 90-120 days.

She was recieving $606 before our marraige. And that was adjusted downward to to $249. I make about $400 monthly from my part time job. I recieve $1235 monthly as my US Military retired pay. My question is will her SSI payment be restored if I am laid off in a couple of months.

Thank you.

starcraft 1.11 nocdcrack
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out  
starcraft 1.11 nocdcrack
This site is maintained by Paul McChesney, an attorney who has been practicing disability law for around 25 years in North and South Carolina.

If the subject of disability is important to you, or if you want to find out more about us, you should explore the rest of this site. To do so, go to our homepage, Carolina-disability.com.

Please don't take anything on this site as legal advice! Nor should you take any action, or fail to take any action, based on any communication provided through this site. Before doing that, it would be wise to sit down and talk to an attorney in his or her office. Please also see our disclaimer at this link: Disclaimer. We want to be as helpful as we can be on a website; please thank us by doing this.